Plantage Middenlaan 26, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, The Netherlands
Booking.com Hotelsclick.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Amsterdam

flower market backsideflower market backside

Frontier bookshopFrontier bookshop

flea marketflea market

here chickie.......here chickie.......

short stay in AMD

by rosyyao

Hello!

I am planning on a quick trip to Brussels and amsterdam. Is it too short if I'd only stayed in Amsterdam for 1 or 2 days? Will I miss too much? Hope will hear from anyone shortly. Thanks!

by cachaseiro

I think you can still get a grasp on the city in a days time.
Sure you canĀ“t see everything, but you can get the feel of the town and see a couple of major sights and see if this is a city you would like to return to another time.

by KakapoTheParrot

Amsterdam is a remarkably compact city, at least the area of most interest to tourists is. A couple of days is fine, unless you are intending to spend very long periods in the art galleries. These are well worth the time, although I tend to find 2-3 hours is as much standing still as my legs can cope with!

by cachaseiro

I agree on that.
Most major sights in Amsterdam are within walking distance from the train station.

by goodfish

Yes, you can get a good grasp of Amsterdam in 1-2 days. We were just there and the city seems to be undergoing a huge amount of construction and renovation so you'll find parts of some museums closed and others closed altogether during the process.

by penny_g

That's true. Most of the attractions of Amsterdam are to be seen in a day time.. I did so.

by enjey

That also depends where and what you really want to see. I remember I arrived in Amsterdam at 10am, and my flight to Paris is 7pm. I only wanted to see the Sex Museum and Anne Frank's house so I thought I had plenty of time... Quick drop at the tourist information just to get a map, then to the sex museum. A leisurely walk going to Anne Frank's house. I spent almost 2 hours in the queue just to go inside! I wanted to retreat but I really wanted to go inside and spent about an hour inside too. Last thing I notice, I was quite running to go to the train station to go to the airport! I did make it though =) without lunch =(

by pieter_jan_v

Two days for a first impression ik OK.

Take a canal boat trip first, followed by a walk of not more than 4 hours along the canals.

Through in visiting attractions and shops if you prefer so.

Just visit my Amsterdam page + T-logues for ideas.

PJ

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Dam Square/Red Light Beware!

by tedinaz

Just back for a semi annual trip to Amsterdam. I can honestly say the city is going to hell fast. The gangs and graffiti is bad, real bad. Dam Square and most canal street are tore up with construction but the gang graffiti is on everything including famous landmarks. Most of the gangs very visable are North African and Arabs. Very scary in the Red Light ! Be very careful even traveling with a partner. Night time was the worse but even during the daytime little thugs are watching you. Stick to the Museum district for everything!! This maybe my last visit to Amsterdam for awhile, Rotterdam is looking much safer!

The Amsterdam school of architecture

by carolineraat

The Amsterdam school of architecture is a famous school dating from the 1910s. Its typical features are: the use of brick and lime stone decorations, cubism etc. Especially Berlage made many beautiful buildings an housing projects in this style.

Take a ride and see the city...

by russ45

Take a ride and see the city from the water. I was lucky I had my friends from Middelburg. Well, I was treated a very detailed and interesting history of Amsterdam. They showed me the little details of the city. I can say the trip was only one day, just to short. I was walking along and I almost got hit by a bike rider. If it was not for Elisabeth warning me I am have been in the hospital. I am not used to bikes in Illinois, we live in to big of an area to ride bikes in my state. To tell my story, as we came up to a intersection, we were waiting for the light to change so we could talk across the street. When the light changed,I stepped onto the bike road here comes a bike rider. I did not know to look, I thought they would slow down and give this American the right of way. Wrong, they have the right of way. Well Elisabeth saved me, maybe some broken bones and a ruined trip to Europe. I now have more respect for bike riders when I travel any where not.

visit the Rijksmuseum. One of...

by Ramonq

visit the Rijksmuseum. One of Europes greatest museum. Plenty of famous Flemish paintings on display here. Rembrandt's the Nightwatch is the one to see. The coffeeshops here are unique. You will be in a different world.

visit the Anne Frank House...

by GUYON

visit the Anne Frank House 263 Prinsengracht.
9AM - 9PM (excepted in Winter : 7PM)-
Price : 12.5G. Unmissible and unforgetable.
We have visited an exibit about the Anne Frank's family and their hiding in the house on two floors.
Several short movies and interviews of Mieps (the Frank's secretary who helped them) are shown to help to understand the story.
The original Anne Frank's diary is on display.

Comments