Hotel Amsterdam De Roode Leeuw

Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Kimber_jewel's Profile Photo

Awesome Location makes up for an ok hotel

We stayed at The Red Lion for a weekend get away. We flew in and took the train to Centraal Station and walked to the hotel. Even though it was freezing in Amsterdam the walk was quick and the hotel was very easy to find.

The hotel is located right next to Dam Square and the tram stops directly in front of the hotel. This made for easy access to any part of the city! It also made it easy to wander around and still find your way back since it is located on Dam Square.

The Hotel itself was ok. We were upgraded to a Jr suite for an extra ?20 a night. I would not recommend this. The room we were in was a conference room with a Murphy bed and ceiling to floor windows looking out onto a brick wall and A/C unit for the building.

The staff were helpful. Not out going, but not rude. We did not eat at the Restaurant so I can't review on that.

But based on the price and the location I will definitely stay in the hotel again while in Amsterdam. The reason for the 3 rating on this review is the fact that our suite was a conference room complete with projector screen and extra office chairs. I would not recommend upgrading to a jr suite. They also charge for EVERYTHING in the room! So if you need your tea, like me, I suggest bringing some along!

Unique Quality: Great Location
    Walking distance to train station
    next to Dam Square
    Tram stop in front of hotel

Directions: On Damrak street directly next to Dam square

• Three Stars in the Old West

When we arrived at the Hotel Amsterdam we were a bit unsure that we had made the right decision to choose this place as we had always had such a good stay at our usual place. The other downside was that it was a little further out of the centre than we are used to but the walk did us good :))

There were a couple of plus points though - this place had a lift built by the lift manufacturer *Schindler* - (Schindler's Lift - just a little Maria and Petra joke that had us giggling stupidly everytime we got in it) and internet access (our regular Amsterdam hotel had neither - but the staff were friendlier - guess you can't have everything!)

The room was nice and clean and had tv, hairdrier, all the usual hotel room stuff - including a fridge and French windows opening onto a small balcony.

Breakfast was the usual continental affair, rolls, hardboiled eggs, cheese, cold meat, yogurt, juice, cereal, tea, coffee, small fruit cakes etc etc. The woman from reception would sit there every morning - watching the guests - I don't know what she thought we were going to do... steal the fruit for our lunch or something... but I was amazed at how she managed to be so glammed up for the day in 6 inch heels and chignon hair at 8am in the morning!

And she really didn't like us... we were waiting for our taxi to take us to the station and there was no friendly goodbye... just a straight faced...*the taxi is coming!*. There was another couple also waiting and she was smiling and gushing effusively *Oh I hope you enjoyed your stay...do come back and visit us soon and have a safe trip*.

Given a choice - I would probably stay somewhere else next time.

Unique Quality: It has a lift!!!

Directions: Between the Old West and Museum District

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Hotel Amsterdam

I was so impressed with the location of this hotel. Fortunately i did not have to pay for my hotel room, do not think I would have been able to afford it! The rooms were lovely and quiet, but no view.

Unique Quality: Centrally located with lovely restaurant at bottom.

• mirko_p's Profile Photo

Great position to start visit the city

We spent 3 nights in Hotel Amsterdam.
    The hotel position is excellent, it's on Damrak just a few walks from Dam Square.
    Rooms were clean and service was good.
    The breakfast was included.
    I don't know how much does it cost per night because we booked flight+hotel together in a travel agency.

Directions: Close to Dam Square

• VERO13's Profile Photo

Fantastic breakfast!!!

Booked through a travel agent before going; was good surprise. The hotel is well situated, rooms are lovely and the breakfast is to die for!

Unique Quality: Breakfast, breakfast, breakfast!!!!

Directions: Straight ahead from the Centraal Station.

More about Hotel Amsterdam De Roode Leeuw

Amsterdam Hotel (Formerly DE...

by stefank60

Amsterdam Hotel (Formerly DE ROODE LEEUW)
Eur 120-214 depending on room type as at 22/07/2002 Apparently a 4 star though when I was there (some years ago) I would have given it 3 star maximum - tourist category. Quite nice all the same couldn't work out the air condittioning unit. Nice breakfasts in a cosey dinning room in traditional style. Excellent location within walking distance of railway station, Damrak (The main square) and the red light district

Wonderful hotel and staff

We just got back from a week in Amsterdam, staying at the Hotel Amsterdam De Roode Leeuw. From the minute we checked in, everything was great. The staff was always more than helpful and all spoke English. Our room included a wonderful breakfast in a beautiful Old World dining room....the service was flawless (in fact, after a couple of days, they always knew what we wanted to drink) The hotel is VERY centrally located on Dam Square. The room was always clean and made up. Also try the dining room on the 3rd floor of the department store directly across the street from the hotel for lunch....we will definitely stay here every time we go back to Amsterdam. GREAT VALUE!!

Island of Calm on Dam Square

by TripAdvisor Member DougViages

My wife and I stayed two nights in this lovely, boutique hotel. It was right off of Dam Square on Damrak, a great location to wander Amsterdam from. The staff were helpful, and service was good. The room had a view of the Square, but was large, clean, and quiet. The bathroom door, being frosted glass, is a bit disconcerting to Americans, but not really unusual in Europe. On the first floor, the De Roode Leeuw Restaurant is charmingly decorated and serves Dutch traditional food, it is worth a dinner stop.

--- and drugs are big visiting points to this liberal city. Be careful in the old section at night. We enjoyed the Jordaan and Western Canal ring, only a ten minute walk from the hotel. We were happy that we did not have a rental car, parking is difficult at best.

It's a 4-star hotel - really nice and fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member am4ra

We stayed at this hotel in July 2005.

Hotel is really a 4-star hotel and very very nice. Bathroom was really big, new tiles and very nice overall. Room was really big, very clean, all new furnishings, very quiet and very safe.

Hotel is very close to all Amsterdam attractions - bus tours, boat tours, Central station, Dam square, canals, trams, buses, trains.

It is a nice hotel for people traveling alone or with families. We stayed with a small kid. Hotel decor is very very clean.

If we go to Amsterdam, we would stay there. It's a 4-star hotel quality.

Would recommend to all travelers.

Wouldn't Recommend a Single Room Here....

by TripAdvisor Member sydneyinchicago

I booked a single room online and got a pretty good deal so I didn't expect a premium room but...it was tiny! The entire room was no more than 7 feet wide and 9 feet long and the bathroom was so small that the "tub" was 4x4 square and the space for the toilet left about 6 inches on either side. If I were a 200 lb., 6 foot tall man, I would've injured myself using that bathroom.

When I arrived, there were 2 towels in my room: one hand towel and one bath towel. They promptly brought up more when asked but they took the extra towels away every time they cleaned the room.

The hotel itself was a bit rundown and desperately needs updating. Everything was clean but threadbare.

Bottom line: if you like being in the middle of a busy, touristy area (like Times Square) this is a good location but don't stay in a single room if you're claustraphobic and/or prefer furnishings that are more recent than 1979.

I wouldn't stay there again.

Amsterdam, de Roode Leeuw (interior)Amsterdam, de Roode Leeuw (interior)

de Roode Leeuw is heerlijk.de Roode Leeuw is heerlijk.

Birthday Restaurant

by Clodagh

Has anyone got any suggestions of a good (as in interesting, good atmosphere, delicious but resonably priced) restaurant in or around Dam Square area.
I need to book a restaurant for Saturday the 15th December for a 30th birthday for a group of about 9 people.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

More restaurant ideas at:

PJ

Re: Birthday Restaurant

by Manara

Close to Dam square there is a very good restaurant serving traditional Dutch food. I have been there several times, because the price/qualiy ratio is very good. It's De Roode Leeuw (which means Red Lion) and it's been there since 1911. In the website you'll find also menus and prices: http://www.hotelamsterdam.nl/restaurant.html

Comments