Hotel Central Park

Café Kale de Grote - InteriorCafé Kale de Grote - Interior

UrinalsUrinals

our guideour guide

Homo-monumentHomo-monument

How late does the trams work?

by Turska

It seems like most of the little cheaper (100e per night or unnder) hotels in Amsterdam centre are those where you can´t get your money back,if you need to cancel.If you go to places whitch are 10min tram-trips away from centre,there will be more of those witch can be cancelled.But how late does the trams work? If we stay at town until 1 or 2 o´clock am will we get back to hotel?

by Turska

I did allready book the Alp hotel anyway.I think it isn´t too far for walking either.

by Pijlmans

There are night buses as well, and as you said, it's walkable too.

Cheers,
Dennis

by Turska

Thanks! Hotel looked nice,and had good reviews for the price.We first tried to find very cheap one,but red comments about mice,bedbugs and mould in cheap ones,so we forgot them ;)
I just hope the booking is o.k.This is third one we try.First one didn´t accept our credit card (Mastercard!) next one wanted to know when we arrive (the right time),because there wasn´t a reception..It´s not nice to have so tight timetable,when travlling by car.
This one had 24hours reception,hope that the creditcard is o.k. also.I booked from booking.com,so it will take some hours if they want to say something about credit-card.Last time it took for next day.

by hawkhead

I use booking.com a lot and have never had a problem.

by Turska

So do I,but the problem wasn´t with them,it was with the hotels.This was first time that hotels took contact to me.Have used it for years,and allways before it has been only with Booking,never the hotels themself.Looks like they are more afraid of cancellations in Amsterdam,than in other places.

by pieter_jan_v

Trams are serving to just after Midnight. Thereafter the serves is taken over by nightbysses; see:

PJ

by Turska

Thanks again!! I´ve noticed taht many times,when you ask something-the same people answer :D
I try to answer in Finland-forum mtoo.But I´m allways asking a lot too ;)

by pieter_jan_v

Never mind.

Most answers are somewhere at my Amsterdam page, but it's slowly frowing to a page with 1000 pictures and many inside tips.

I once had a motto: The one who asks questions is stupid; the one who does not asks questions stays stupid.

Feel free to ask more :)

PJ

by Turska

I belive that most aswers would be found here somewhre,but this has come so huge,that sometimes it´s easier to a´sk at the forum.And many times someone knows someone whos page they will recommend.I had just a tip of person how likes to find new beers like we do.
After I have found the hotels,I will start searching what we want to see at each place.And I love the planning-it´s just makes my sleeping-hours too short...

by bigbuffalo

I was in Amsterdam a couple years back and we stayed at a hotel that was kind of far from the centre. I dont remember how late the trains ran, but I do remember that we were out pretty late one night, I want to say well after midnight, and took the train back to our hotel.

by Turska

We changed the hotel and now it´s less than 2km from the area, where the most of bars and restaurants are (forgot the name,it´s at my notes somewhere), so maybe we can also walk to hotel.If the area feels safe to walk at night.
But good to know,thanks :)

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Amazing waterways

by acemj

The canals in Amsterdam not only served as conduits to the sea, they also are a great way to get around. People even live on the canals in often expensive and trendy houseboats (you can rent them for visits). Another plus is that there are countless bridges spanning the canals throughout the city providing picturesque vantage points to watch the world go by.

Make good use that the Dutch...

by sharonn

Make good use that the Dutch government 'allows' you to smoke a plant. The Dutch are very liberated as a nation and more realistic of what people want. Cannabis used to grow naturally all over Britain many years ago but alasI think my ancestors smoked it!! Seeing as many coffee bars as possible and still standing at the end. Some feat! Like the picture:)?

The Dutch do delightful dairy...

by Goldenboy

The Dutch do delightful dairy products and superb sweet snacks, but traditional main course Dutch gastronomy gets a bit heavy and meaty. Thanks to the sizeable Indonesian, Chinese, Surinamese, Turkish and Italian communities there are plenty of spicy alternatives. Vegetarians are not terribly well catered for, but most restaurants will have at least one meat-free dish. The national fast food is frites (chips). If you ask for frites met (chips with), you'll get them with mayonnaise just like a real Dutchie. Kroketten (croquettes) and other hot lumps of meat are dispensed by vending machines, à la the Jetsons. Beer is the staple drink, served cool and with a head of froth so big it would start a brawl in an Australian pub. According to Heineken, this is to 'capture the flavour bubbles which would otherwise fly away' - yeah, right! Double and triple strength Belgian beers are very popular in the Netherlands - beware. Dutch gin (genever) is often drunk with a beer chaser; the combination is known as a kopstoot ('head butt').
Anyone who's worth their weight in bongwater knows that you can buy wacky tabacky in shops in the Netherlands. Marijuana is not officially legal, but you are able to buy grass, hash, loose joints, smoking paraphernalia and seeds in registered 'coffee shops'. Magic mushrooms are also available. This doesn't mean that every Dutch person is a pothead. On the contrary, only about 5% of the population indulge (less than in France where drug policy is much stricter), and it's definitely not on to light up on the street or a non-'smoking' establishment. There's no shortage of hard drugs around, but you're likely to be ripped off if buying from street dealers, and be warned that the penalties are as severe as in other European countries.

canal tour/warehouses

by MATIM

Lots of warehouses along the canal, canal boats supply them with their goods in the old days.
They call these two warehouses, father and son.
If you look very closely at this picture you see the low iron gates to prevent the cars from falling into the canal.

The colors!

by Eilian

It is not my photo and I don't remember where this place was, but I was taking a break exactly at this place. Oh! I missed the bikes. Everyone was on a bike, and the golden ones don't belong to anyone: you can take them and use them. When you leave the golden bike and go in a shop, someone may take it as well and use it. I think that is a wonderful way of living!

Comments