Hotel Damrak

isright's Profile Photo

A good deal

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 9, 2005

Well, after long periods of research on the net I decided to go for this place. Had never been to the Dam before but knew straight away that I needed a base for 3 days that would enable me to stumble home very easily in the early hours.

£80 per night and for that I had the top floor, street facing, very big room which had 2 double beds (well 4 singles pushed together) a seated area with leather couch ,coffee table, clean bathroom with hot shower and a big telly which even gave me news from home on BBC1 !

Only a couple of grumbles. The room was missing 4 lightbulbs from its lights. However the 2 that did work gave me a mellow atmosphere which I eventually got comfortable with. I did mention it to the guy on checkout who was deeply apologetic about it to his credit. Not a big deal really.

One concern I had regarded the cleaning staff - there was no problem with security it was that they were so loud and noisy ! I had no chance of a lie-in after a heavy night as from 0900 they were literally shouting at each other down the corridor outside for what felt like forever. On my last morning one lady even walked straight into my room without knocking while I was still in bed !

I know these guys have to do their job and probably work very hard for a minor wage but turning down the volume a bit and establishing whether people were in their rooms or not could help ! Again I did mention it to the guy on checkout - I didn't want to aggrevate anything while I was still there . . .

But it wasn't a major issue and I should thank them really for getting me out of bed and utilising my time well out and about in the city. Unfortunately I never made the pre 10am breakfasts so I can't comment on that.

All in all a good place to stay, for me anyway, I think I got lucky. My advice is ask for a street facing room when you book, I did and it worked in my favour.

Directions: Straight out of Centraal Station, head down Damrak on right hand side, past Sex Museum, 'Teasers Bar' and Mannequin Pis Chip Shop and it's right there - 3 minute walk

geoffboxer's Profile Photo

Locatoin is good.

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 29, 2004

rooms are a bit cramped and all have the usual mod cons. There are much better 3 stars in the area.Breakfast is buffett but not too much choice if you dont eat eggs.

Unique Quality: Situated mid Damrak. Handy from the Central Station and Red Light area.Plus shopping streets and restaurants..

Directions: see above

crazygal59's Profile Photo

Cozy and intimate.

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 16, 2003

We stayed at this hotel when our son was three. It was just what you would expect a hotel in the center of Amsterdam to be. Cozy,small and friendly. It has a wonderful bar where everyone is welcome, from locals to the resident dog.

Unique Quality: This hotel is on the main street and is in the heart of everything. You just step out the door and walk.

Directions: Right downtown.

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Kitchenette

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews