Damrak 49, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 LL, The Netherlands

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 28% less but rated 46% lower than other 3 star hotels

• isright's Profile Photo

A good deal

Well, after long periods of research on the net I decided to go for this place. Had never been to the Dam before but knew straight away that I needed a base for 3 days that would enable me to stumble home very easily in the early hours.

£80 per night and for that I had the top floor, street facing, very big room which had 2 double beds (well 4 singles pushed together) a seated area with leather couch ,coffee table, clean bathroom with hot shower and a big telly which even gave me news from home on BBC1 !

Only a couple of grumbles. The room was missing 4 lightbulbs from its lights. However the 2 that did work gave me a mellow atmosphere which I eventually got comfortable with. I did mention it to the guy on checkout who was deeply apologetic about it to his credit. Not a big deal really.

One concern I had regarded the cleaning staff - there was no problem with security it was that they were so loud and noisy ! I had no chance of a lie-in after a heavy night as from 0900 they were literally shouting at each other down the corridor outside for what felt like forever. On my last morning one lady even walked straight into my room without knocking while I was still in bed !

I know these guys have to do their job and probably work very hard for a minor wage but turning down the volume a bit and establishing whether people were in their rooms or not could help ! Again I did mention it to the guy on checkout - I didn't want to aggrevate anything while I was still there . . .

But it wasn't a major issue and I should thank them really for getting me out of bed and utilising my time well out and about in the city. Unfortunately I never made the pre 10am breakfasts so I can't comment on that.

All in all a good place to stay, for me anyway, I think I got lucky. My advice is ask for a street facing room when you book, I did and it worked in my favour.

Directions: Straight out of Centraal Station, head down Damrak on right hand side, past Sex Museum, 'Teasers Bar' and Mannequin Pis Chip Shop and it's right there - 3 minute walk

• geoffboxer's Profile Photo

Locatoin is good.

rooms are a bit cramped and all have the usual mod cons. There are much better 3 stars in the area.Breakfast is buffett but not too much choice if you dont eat eggs.

Unique Quality: Situated mid Damrak. Handy from the Central Station and Red Light area.Plus shopping streets and restaurants..

Directions: see above

• crazygal59's Profile Photo

Cozy and intimate.

We stayed at this hotel when our son was three. It was just what you would expect a hotel in the center of Amsterdam to be. Cozy,small and friendly. It has a wonderful bar where everyone is welcome, from locals to the resident dog.

Unique Quality: This hotel is on the main street and is in the heart of everything. You just step out the door and walk.

Directions: Right downtown.

More about Hotel Damrak

Center Amsterdam Hotel, Damrak 58

by JumpmanPro

Hello VT'ers,

Does anybody have info on the above hotel, i.e. their website, phone #, recommended, etc.? Any help in this respect is appreciated!!!

Regards,
JumpmanPro

RE: Center Amsterdam Hotel, Damrak 58

by Runrig

Hi,

been to Amsterdam very often, but never stayed at that hotel.
Phone Number is +31 20-6209208 and fax is +31 020-6390545
Since it is a 2* Budget Hotel I would be surprised if they have their own website.
The location is very central, however it might be noisy, Damrak is the main street coming from the railways station and the "cable cars" run along Damrak too.

Best regards,
Tom

RE: RE: Center Amsterdam Hotel, Damrak 58

by JumpmanPro

Tom (Runrig),

Thanks for the info:) Are those the numbers for the above hotel? I also read on hostel websites that the hotel is currently undergoing rennovations.

Any further info on this hotel from VT'ers would be highly appreciated!:)

Regards,
JumpmanPro

RE: RE: Center Amsterdam Hotel, Damrak 58

by pieter_jan_v

I found these overall ratings:

Character 52%