Hotel De Koopermoolen Amsterdam

Booking.com Hotels.nl EasyToBook.com

Satisfaction Average

• benvalo's Profile Photo

Smoker friendly - Perfect location

My recent (June 2005) three night trip was spent in the themed 'Retro Room' along with my friend in the Greenhouse Effect hotel ~ located just around the corner from the Red Light District.

The room itself was a twin room with lots of extras including: safe box, minibar etc. And the window over looked the party street which is Warmoesstraat, I could imagine it may be noisy at the weekends but from monday till thursday was not very load during the twilight hours.

Very friendly staff in the bar/reception downstairs. Although I did not make full use of the joining coffeeshop next door so cannot comment on that side of the wall.

Booked the single room here for my trip this September!

Unique Quality: Breakfast was included here although I don't usually eat much until lunch time so never made use of the free brekkie.

I was also told that a discount was included if I went to the coffeeshop or bar, but like I said I went exploring for other places so and never made use of home turf.

The 'Retro Room' and 'Outer Space Room' (single one I booked this sept) are both at the very top floor so have some steep steps to deal with, but almost expected in Amsterdam buidlings I guess!

Directions: Straight down Damrak then left past Grasshopper's coffeeshop. The road at the end (with a sex shop facing you) is Warmoesstraat.

• A bit of Vegas in Amsterdam

When we walked into our theme room, "Turkish Deslight", at the Greenhouse Effect hotel, I thought we had entered some time warp and ended up in Las Vegas.

The Greenhouse Effect (located in the middle of a stoner's paradise) is a hotel with a gimmick. It's not the cleanest hotel, nor the friendliest, but it's located above a coffeeshop and there are at least a dozen others within stumbling distance.

This is a good place for the stoner with money. For people who want a true Dutch experience, you won't find it there.

Unique Quality: It's close to Central Station, so it's a good place to spend the night if you have an early flight out of town.

Directions: Red Light District

Greenhouse Effect - Apartment

Downtown apartment for 4 people €150.

Forgot to mention that when you stay here you get a discount on the draft beer at the bar.

Unique Quality: These buildings were built with very narrow and steep stairs. Don't bring heavy luggage LOL.

Directions: Border of Oude and Nieuwe Zijde

Greenhouse Effect - Apartment

This is the China Town apartment. We enjoyed our stay here very much. Our first day we had no coffee, so we got a coffee to go from the Irish Pub next door.

For those that are weary of the Red Light District and its reputation, we found it to be safe, clean and lots of fun. You don’t have to be into all that goes on to enjoy this area. We saw a lot of other couples (of all ages) roaming the streets as well.

Price: €100 which was cheaper than the hotel rooms.

Unique Quality: The apartment is actually a little outside the District so we had no problem sleeping.

Directions: Border Oude and Nieuwe Zijde

Not just a coffeeshop

Since we were staying 3 nights in Amsterdam upon arrival, we opted for an apartment. Great idea, you have your own kitchen and living room. More of a homey feeling for those that do not like big hotels. If you are more than one couple, note the prices are by apartment and not per person.

We stayed in an apartment offered by the Green House Effect Hotel. Their apartments are very clean, cozy and functional. They are located just outside of the Red Light District, so close to everything yet still quieter at night.

You check in at the bar on Warmoesstraat and they explain how to get to the apartment.

Unique Quality: Great location, safe, clean and the staff is friendly, very accommodating and helpful.

Directions: Border of Oude and Nieuwe Zijde