Hotel Orfeo

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Amsterdam

Anne Frank House , AmsterdamAnne Frank House , Amsterdam

detail from the organdetail from the organ

many fleuts (small beer) on the tablemany fleuts (small beer) on the table

HaarlemmerstraatHaarlemmerstraat

Boat to Cologne

by mmiraglia

I'm looking for a one-way boat trip from Amsterdam to Cologne. I've seen cruises that continue onto Vienna but I only need the leg from Amsterdam to Cologne. Any ideas?

Re: Boat to Cologne

by pieter_jan_v

Indeed, most cruises do the 4 countries trip over the Rhine river.

The only exception is the time before Chritmas, when 3 days Christmas shopping cruises from Amsterdam to Cologne and back are organised.

PJ

Re: Boat to Cologne

by ATLC

I have only seen round-trips.
If you are in The Netherlands now, best thing to do is, I think, go to a few travel agents and have ask. You are not obliged to book anything.

I tried asking D-reizen (a Dutch travel agent) online but the only thing I got was a standard reply.
Oad-reizen (another Dutch travel agent) has a far too large form to fill out online before I can ask the question.

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Grande Roue de... Where next??

by aaaarrgh

What a wonderful idea, a 60m high Big Wheel in the heart of Amsterdam - you could see for miles over the flat landscape. Hey, I must tell everyone about this when I get home, I thought.

This is the famous Big Wheel that once stood in the centre of Paris. Then it moved to the English city of Birmingham where they forgot to change the recorded commentary. Famously, the citizens of Birmingham were told by the recording how they could see the Eiffel Tower from this new lofty viewpoint in the English West Midlands.

We went on the ride for a mere 5 euros, had great fun and good views over the Rijksmuseum and the city. I wondered why my guidebook said nothing about the wheel.

Unfortunately, unless you are visiting Amsterdam in the next week from now, you will miss it. I just found out that the 'Roue de Paris' had been constructed in Amsterdam for only 12 days. Then it will be taken down and carried to the next lucky European city.

So, look out for that wheel on your travels around Europe!!

Just enjoy the city by...

by shdw100

Just enjoy the city by wandering around. I cannot specify anything more as my stay was short. When I went to a diamond cutting factory, I should have bought a diamond for my future wife. I went with my parents, and my mom really had the insight at the time, but I decided not to. I can really kick myself now for not taking the opportunity! I will just have to go back with my wife and buy one!

Introduction to Amsterdam

by codrutz

Amsterdam grew along the banks of the Amstel River and learnt to live and draw its livelihood from water. Its fortunate geographical position and the hard work of its people made the fishing village to became a large trading center, during the era of the famous West India and East India Companies.

In the course of the 17th century the crescent shape of Amsterdam grew, because people formed more semi-circular canals, making the city wall and the city gates further and further on the outskirts.

The city is known also like the Venice of the North, because of its 100 kilometers of canals, linked by about 400 stone bridges, and its about 90 islands.

canal tour

by MATIM

In the past there was not enough living accomodation for the inhabitants of Amsterdam that is why the city of Amsterdam legalize living at houseboats.
Each of the houseboats has their own mailadres and each of them are conected to electricity.

Look at houses of old part of...

by barcodex

Look at houses of old part of Amsterdam. Some of them are so old, that there are no lines parallel or perpedicular to ground level. As you can see on this picture, houses are not so even - this is especially noticable when houses are standing in a row, like here.

Comments