Plantage Kerklaan 25-A, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

• Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed -- Absolutely Filthy

We stayed in Room 34 -- one of the attic rooms.

The hotel and location are very neat. It's a little outside the hustle of the city, yet still close enough. The building is old, giving it a lot of character. That's the only nice things I can say.

The room was filthy. There were bugs on the sheets. There were marks all over the walls. There was hair and other stuff left from the previous occupant. The drain didn't work, leaving an inch of water across the bathroom floor (the floor is all tile, and no separation for the shower). And on top of all that, the staff accused me of blackmail.

We had traveled to Amsterdam from Germany. This hotel was a sort of last resort as everything was either booked up, or more than 120 euros per night. Because of this, we dealt with the room and its problems. But I took photos (I've posted them here, but haven't seen them show up yet). Upon checkout, I showed the staff the photos of our room. At first they seemed concerned, calling it a "major" problem. Then when I asked for a refund, things turned for the worse.

The staff took on an attitude that I was trying to scam them. "The spider could have flown in through an open window." "Why did you wait until morning to tell us these problems?" "Now you are here trying to blackmail us." "If you saw poor reviews, why did you book with us?"

Yes, I traveled more than 5,000 miles to Amsterdam to blackmail a small hotel. [/sarcasm]

It was surreal. The staff was blaming the problems on the guest for not being more vigilant in selecting the hotel. The fact that there were bugs, a filthy room, and a bathroom drain that didn't work were normal. It was us, the guests, that were at fault.

On the plus side, after talking to the owner, I wasn't offered a refund, but I was offered a discounted room on my next stay! Absolutely laughable.

Save the trouble -- take a look at the photos I've attached here and book somewhere else.

Unique Quality: Small hotel in old building -- unique small staircase adds a lot of character.

• originalribenababy's Profile Photo

The Plantage

We booked this hotel in 2006 and got a really good rate (the prices have increased now I think) but we were over the moon with it :)

steep stairs but thats traditional in Amsterdam. The entrance is just a door next to a nice cafe. Staff were fine, we got a room next to reception that looked over the quiet street.

Room was very large compared to others we've stayed in in Amsterdam, bathroom was large as well. The place was clean and the bed was comfortable.

I would definitly go back and I would recommend it to others (esp for a more laid back trip to Amsterdam, away from the crowds). We stayed in a double room and made quite a romantic holiday of it :)

It is right next to the zoo, and we walk everywhere in Amsterdam so it was a really nice location to walk back to (very green area), not a central location though, you may want to get trams after walking a couple of days :)

we booked this through calling teletext and they got us a better deal than the hotel has on their website :)

Unique Quality: Really close to the zoo, nice area, quiet and laid back :)

Directions: tramline no 9: stop for the Zoo (=ARTIS) is called: "Plantage Kerklaan" (7th stop, incl. Central Station) or its quite easy to walk, just head for the zoo

• Crap

Go stay in a gutter, it would be better!
    Nasty, moldy, and worst place I have stayed in Amsterdam (out of 20+).
    Day school on back-side with too many children waking you up in the morning.
    Nothing in the room works. Shower leaks into room.

Unique Quality: None

• YUK!

Hotel Hell...
    This was the 2nd worse experience of my life. Nasty room, dirty sheets, MOLD everywhere (even on the carpet), TV did NOT work most of the time and when it did you only had 1 channel. Told staff about problems they could care less, and would not move us.
    Everytime you took a shower the room flooded. The shower is just a hose in a big room w/the toilet, no separation and leaked under the door.
    They had some kind of storage in an open closet inside our room, with only a see through drape to cover.
    View...jeeze a kindergarten. Do you like to be jarred out of your slumber by screaming kids? then Enjoy. You will be sorry booking this joint. Staff works out of a closet & were unfriendly.
    I would sleep on the streets before I would EVER go back to this place.
    I have stayed at shared bath experiences in AMS far better than this place for less money.
    Beware! The area & trams ARE great, right at the ZOO. The Hotel...well you have been warned.

Unique Quality: Sewer, mold, screaming kids, and floods.

Directions: Turn right at Hell

• Yijie's Profile Photo

A good stay

We stayed in a private room with attached bathroom. There are hot shower, tv, electric kettle etc. and the room is spacious. The staff is also friendly and glad to provide any help. It is not in the city centre but still within the same zone i.e. 2 stamps on your strippenkart ticket. The tram stops are just in front or beside the hotel, very convenient. There is also a grocery shop across the road and the neighbourhood is quiet at night.

Unique Quality: This is an above average budget accomodation.

Directions: Take Tramline no. 9 and alight at the stop: Plantage Kerklaan. It should be the 8th stop, including Central Station.

Comments