Prins Hendrikkade 52 - 57, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 AC, The Netherlands

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• nyperose's Profile Photo

The hotel with the steep stairs in the room

I spent two days in Hotel Prins Hendrik, and I must admit that the biggest advantage of the hotel was its central location just across Amsterdam railway station. It was nice to be within walking distance to sightseeing buses, canal boats, shopping districts, and above all to Amsterdam's interesting and compact city centre.

The room itself was pretty big, but too dark to my taste even if we had a big window overlooking the street. The bathroom was ok, but the main lamp did not work and after complaining they tried to fix it with....tape! It worked for about 10 minutes.....

Once you opened the door to the room you encountered a very steep flight of stairs, around 3 meters deep down....(se picture). We were totally taken by surprise, and I was so glad we weren't in a hurry rushing into the room the first time we opened the door, because then we would have tumbled directly down the stairs together with heavy suitcases and received them on top of us......

The breakfast buffet consisted mostly of pastry, white bread, and suger puff breakfast cereal, not too nice if you want fruits and cereal without sugar, but fortunately there were supermarkets around the hotel.....

• sierralyndon's Profile Photo

Average but convenient accommodation

The Prins Hendrik is a 3* hotel located about 2 minutes' walk for the Centraal Station. So you really just need to orientate yourself from when you get out of the station, heading left after the first canal.

I stayed here because my first, second, third choices, etc. for hotels were unavailable. In fact I had a list of at least 20 hotels I would rather have stayed at based on traveller reviews, etc. However, this was one of the few places with rooms available that weekend.

We paid €150 for a twin room which to me was outrageous for what we got, but for Amsterdam standards I think that was a fair price. Breakfast (which was fairly good) was included in the price as were all taxes. Please note that you're expected to pay for the duration of your stay upon checking in.

Our room was quite spacious although a bit dated, and it was certainly not refined: different parts of curtains didn't match, our "wardbrobe" doubled as a storage room for the hotel (there was an unused toilet bowl in there!). However it was clean and that was important.

The hotel also has the dubious honour of being the place where jazz great Chet Baker fell to his death in 1988. There is a plaque on the front of the hotel paying tribute to him.

All in all, I'd say it's an OK place to stay if you're looking for a place to sleep after exploring the city.

• Tedjudyintriped's Profile Photo

Small but adaquate accomodations

Cozy room with small beds . european Brakefast, and Good Rates near most Tourist
    Musuems, and good Ethinic Restaurants, and Albert Cuyp Open market. a short walk to Major brewery the Heineken Experience @
    78 Stadhouderskade. a must see.

Unique Quality: The best season is in the late winter and early spring. hotel is not crowded. and is akin to have your own Condo the with Maid service and Cook. very quite and accomodating.

• geoffboxer's Profile Photo

Simply the best 3 star in Amsterdam

Have stayed on 6 occasions.Nothing is too much trouble. The up front staff are helpful and friendly. The rooms I have had are large with all the expected mod cons, Very clean and all have had a bath as opposed to a shower. 24 hour reception and also two very nice modern annexes, Excellent and Varied buffet breakfast. There is also a bar and nice restaurant. In summer a very large terrace in front of hotel where you can eat and drink.

Unique Quality: Ideally situated across from Central Station. One minute walk to the Damrak or strool along the Zeediyk for three mins and you are in The Red Light and Chineses area.No long walks or taxi rides after a night out.
    Rooms on the front look out across the square towards Central Station. The Chet Baker suit, which I have stayed in, is steeped in atmosohere!!
    The Airport shuttle bus stops right outside at Brabazon Palace Hotel,righr next door.

Directions: As described above. Perfect location for tram station, trains, airport bus, City centre, Red Light district, Restaurants bars and anything else you may fancy!!!

More about Hotel Prins Hendrik

Good value for the price

by TripAdvisor Member CaptnHook

Just got back for a one-night stay at this hotel. Hoping to stay for two more nights but they are fully booked for the weekend. I usually travel by myself and book single room only, most of the time end up with a room the size of a big walk-in closet. This hotel has a single room rate but you get a good size double room. This is the best deal I found so far in Amsterdam for a single traveler who wants a good size room, with private bathroom facility, at a good location in Centrum. I used to like Rho Hotel for the same qualities (location, price, breakfast), but the single room deal in Hotel Prins Hendrik are far better. The only compliant I have there is no in-room safe.

Superb location, big rooms and friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member MBD

A group of 20 of us stayed at the Prins Hendrik from 9th to 11th April 2005. It's right opposite Central Station, and within about 3 minutes walk of the Red Light District and 5 minutes of Dam Square. Don't be put off if the Red Light District is not your thing - simply turn left out of the hotel instead of right and you're onto Damrak, which leads down to Dam Square and the many shops and attractions of Amsterdam.

We found the staff at the hotel to be helpful and friendly, and the buffet breakfast was an excellent way to start the day, with a range of meats, cheeses, breads, cereals, eggs and the most delicious Dutch coffee. The hotel bar has a range of beers, wines and spirits, and is an ideal place to wind down at the end of the day or night.

I'm hopefully going back in September with my partner, and she's really fussy about hotels so it must be ok!!

Good location, good breakfast

This hotel has a good location within easy walking distance of the train station and attractions. We walked to all the main attractions, including the Rijksmuseum.

Breakfast was very good with a decent amount of seating and a variety of cold cuts, cheese, breads, eggs, cereals, yogurt, etc. Definitely better than average for hotels in this class.

We arrived before check-in time but they got us into our room early, which we really appreciated. (We had to wait for maybe 10-15 minutes because they were still cleaning our room, but that wasn't a big deal.)

You had to pay an extra deposit to get the remote for your TV, which was kind of annoying. (We didn't bother.)

Our room was quite a decent size and clean enough, but a little noisy at night.

Overall, I thought it was a decent value, especially with the good location and good breakfast.

No complaints whatsoever

by TripAdvisor Member Lindawba

We stayed for 3 nights and were not disappointed. Ideally situated just near Central Station and within walking distance of all the main attractions including bars and restaurants.
The hotel was clean and comfortable with a good bathroom (bath and shower). The television had BBC1 BBC2 and BBC world as well as MTV. There was a chain on the door of our room.
Breakfast was buffet style and better than a lot of continental breakfasts I've seen. There was a toaster to toast the many different types of bread, cold meats and cheese, baked beans, scrambled egg and boiled eggs, a variety of jams and peanut butter and 3 or 4 cereals, apples and plain yogurt.

The negatives - no tea making facilities in the room - you have to take your own. Can be very noisy at night - you are unlikely to have an unbroken night's sleep.

Would definitely stay there next time I visit this great city.

The impossible question

by lutteuses

Who can recommend a romantic hotel or place to stay in central Amsterdam that could have a double room available for a whole week in May. Now for the hard part... the budget is max 150 EUR per night.
Thanks,
Ls

by Manara

The most romantic hotel that comes to my mind is the Canal House. Check the website: www.canalhouse.nl

Re: Re: The impossible question

by pieter_jan_v

Hotel La Richelle
Address: Holbeinstraat 41 - 1077 VC Amsterdam

Tel: (+31) (0)20-6717971

Euro 135 weekdays for a double room. Breakfast Euro 15.

PJ

by geoffboxer

Nothing is impossible in Amsterdam !!! Having stayed at many city centre Hotels over the past 30 years, I have no hesitation in recommending

Hem Hotel Prins Hendrik, superb 3 star hotel right in the centre. See my review at geoffboxers Amsterdam page. You can book via their Web site. Normal rates for double room is 155 euro per night.

Happy travelling and best wishes. Geoff.

by geoffboxer

ps I forgot to mention that unlike some hotels the price of 155 euro is inclusive of 5 per cent City tax and the nice buffett style hot and cold breakfast.
Geoff boxer.

by pedalpusher

What is romance?? Where you sleep at night or where YOU ARE....or some combination. I tell this to EVERYONE ( I am so Boring). We love the Hotel Hoksbergen. They are centrally located on the canal belt, great friendly staff, quiet, on the canal, nice breakfast, close to everything, a block from the tram stop....NEED I SAY MORE! They are not the "DELUXE HOTEL" with all the foo foo stuff....so if you want that, ignore my response. They run around 100 EU a night...I haven't checked lately, so you should. Here is their address:

by TAKECK

Don't stay at a hotel at all. Try www.CityMundo.com (you neet to type in the www for an international site)
www.CityMundo.com has a wonderful selection of apartments and houseboats that are cheaper than a hotel and larger space. Minum of 3 nights minum of 2 people.
Try houseboat #L01509 great location.

Comments