Frans Van Mierisstraat 10, Amsterdam, 1071 RS, nl

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

• June.b's Profile Photo

Clean and bright room

Booked a single room via booking.com (my nightsaver) costs EUR55 with breakfast. The location of hotel is not actually right in the central part. About 7 tram stop from the Amsterdam central train station via tram no. 16 or 24, tram station called Ruysdaelstraat. Although it is walking distance (approx. 10 min.) to museumplein for the Van Gogh museum and other museum in the area as well as the huge Vondelpark.

Situated in a quiet neighborhood, the hotel itself looks like an apartment, you have to press the buzzer to be let in. Electronic keycard lets you in the main door and your room. Peach or pink coloured room, enough space to move around, double-bed, tv on study table, electric fan, safety deposit box ( wonder if it work), coffee making facility - minus the coffee or tea though, clean toilet, curtain separated shower stand.

The large windows opens up to a huge tree and the pleasant street below and a crawling plant, making the room airy and sunlit.

Just as most Amsterdam hotel, the stairs are steep so hold on to the railings, and my room is on the 3rd floor so a bit of struggle.

The breakfast room is the reception area too and breakfast is quite ok with variety.

Staff are good too, asian-looking fellows.

Price/value ratio...I would recommended this hotel, plus I got my coat back when I forgot it inside the cabinet and went back for it when I was already at the train station.

Unique Quality: Good breakfast, professional staff, clean room, large windows.

Directions: Take the tram no. 16 or 24 and get off at Ruysdaelstraat stop, walk further to the tram track and cross the street turn right and the first street to your left the second building with a sign of Hotel Washington.

More about Hotel Washington

Fantastic B&B

I ended a two week vacation in Holland with three nights at the Hotel Washington in Amsterdam. It was a breath of fresh air. I stayed in larger hotels in the other cities I visited and found the Hotel Washington a welcome relief.

I stayed in a double on the 3rd floor (with a shared bathroom). While not spacious, the room was clean and the bed was the most comfortable one I slept in while in Holland. The stairs to the top floor were very steep but the hotel staff helped with my bags, which was much appreciated. The Hotel Washington staff were warm and helpful. Tourist books and maps were made available as was internet access. The breakfast was nothing fancy but I enjoyed it.

I visited Amsterdam over the Queen's Day weekend. The city was alive with activity and I appreciated returning to the quiet charm of the Hotel Washington each evening. The only thing that wasn't clear to me from the internet was the distance between the hotel and central station. It is about an hour walk, which was somewhat of a surprise, but the weather was lovely so I did not mind.

Charming and Quiet - Quality Hotel

My wife and I spent on night at the Hotel Washington and enjoyed our stay. While the hotel is certainly not in the heart of Amsterdam, it is so close to the southern edge of all the great sites and the city is extremely walkable - we were satisfied by the location. Additionally, the above ground Tram that runs throughout the city makes a stop just 3 blocks away and from there it takes you straight through the main street up to the train station.

The rooms at the Hotel Washington are pretty nice. Our room had beautiful windows overlooking the quiet street infront of the hotel. The bathroom was very nice and clean, the bed was comfortable, and the room have nice high ceilings. The stairs were "Dutch stairs", which means ladder-like steep, so be ready to climb. Don't fear, there is a good sturdy handrail.

A simple breakfast was served - cereal, milk, fruit - which was adaquate for me.

While most hotels were booked, I found availability at the hotel with little notice.

Terrific Staff

by TripAdvisor Member longbeachrover

We stayed 3 nights at the beginning of our vacation to the Netherlands. We had a large room on the first floor. It was clean if not fancy with a great bathroom and comfortable chairs to relax in after walking around town. The best part of your stay is the wonderful staff at the hotel. They are always ready to give advice and assistance. They helped us with our luggage up the steep flight of stairs, sold us a tram strip , and told us how to use it. When we went to the Central Station, the tram was very convenient. The breakfast was very good with eggs prepared to order.
The Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum are close and can be walked to in 5 min. There are several good restaurants within walking distance. They were inexpensive by European standards and seemed to cater to the residents of the area. We took the Canal Bus which has 14 stops and the ticket is good for a day and a half. It can be caught near the Rijksmuseum.
We would definitely stay at the Hotel Washington again.

Excellent Apartment

by TripAdvisor Member dkuznetsov

Stayed for 3 nights with my wife and 2 small kids in a large two-bedroom apartment on second floor. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Simple but adequate breakfast. The hotel, stairs, apartment, furniture etc had that feel of an 'Old Dutch house' and I found it more enjoyable than a stay in a modern luxury hotel last year. Very convenient location in a quiet residential area close to museums, Leidsplein and Vondelpark. Lots of small local restaurants with good food.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay.

Fine hotel, nice staff

by TripAdvisor Member y2000k

I stayed here for 4 nights and booked their single room with private bathroom (breakfast included with room rate).

It is located in the museum area: 5-min walk to Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum, as well as to Concertgebouw. To get to most other sites or Central Station, one will have to take the tram. The tram ride to Central Station takes about 20-25minutes, so if you are doing lots of daytrips by train, you can easily spend 1 hour getting back and forth from the hotel.

The street it is on is very quiet. My room faces the street, but I didn't hear any street noise (I kept the windows closed). The hotel itself though is a typical regular hotel. I could hear the floor creaking if someone is walking upstairs, or guests talking in the hallway. Fortunately, I was out late every night and up first thing in the morning, so I wasn't bothered by my neighbors' noise.

Breakfast is served 8a-10a. I had to skip breakfast one day because of an early train to catch. Breakfast includes: cereal, fruit, OJ, tea/coffee. Each guest is served 1 egg (cooked according to your preference), 4 pieces of toast, 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese.

Since I got a single room, it is tiny. The bed is a single twin bed. Amenities include: hairdryer. Each room has a closet that can be locked. Bathroom amenities include: conditioning shampoo, and shower gel. My bathroom has a shower only, no bath-tub.

Every staff there I met was wonderful and helpful. There are no elevators in the hotel, and the check-in person insisted on carrying my luggage up to my room for me, despite my decline. Upon check-in, I was given a map as well as an Amsterdam Day-to-Day guide, which contains listings of what's going on in the city that week.

There is no 24-hr reception. The evening shift is on duty until 11pm. Each guest is given a copy of the front door key. If one requires a late check-in after 11pm, one should check with the hotel first before booking to ensure someone will be there to give you the room key.

The "lobby/office" has a laptop with internet, which is free for guests to use.

Bottom Line:
Fine hotel with nice staff. Be prepared for a tiny room if you reserve the single. I may want to stay at a different area next time - closer to Central Station.

Enjoyable stay at the Washington

We throughly enjoyed our stay of two nights at the Washington. We travelled to Schiphol and took a train to Amsterdam and then a taxi from Centraal Station which took about 15 minutes. This is easier than a tram if you have luggage. The hotel was very central about 15 minutes walk to the centre and close to all the museums and Vondel park. The rooms were spacious and very clean but the only drawback for some people would be the Dutch stairs that are very steep (although good exercise for the thighs!!!! ) The breakfast was very nice and the proprietors were extremely friendly and helpful. Our trip to Amsterdam was very enjoyable and we would definitely recommend the Hotel Washington.

Love the Hotel Washington and Staff!

by TripAdvisor Member scmassey

I have just returned from a 5 week trip to Europe and stayed at the Hotel Washington on the advise of Trip Advisor.

This was one of my favorite rooms in Europe. I had a studio apt in a brownstone with my own private entrance. The room was delightful with a great bathroom with soaking tub and a wonderful little kitchen with a window that looked out onto the garden.

The bed was very comfortable and the room spacious and had FREE wireless internet! That alone would have been incredible, but the best is the staff. Hans, Johann and Johann (sounds like a law firm!) are terrific. They helped me find my way around, ship things home, help with my electrical converter, listened to my adventures, ect.... I was traveling alone and felt like I had friends in Amsterdam thanks to these sweet men.

I look forward to spending more time in Amsterdam and I would not stay anywhere else but the The Hotel Washington. Oh, I do want to mention that the location in the Museum Quarter is the best. It is very easy to get anywhere from the Tram stop right down the street and the quite neighborhood was great to come home to at night.

Charming, charming, charming.

If you are looking for a big time hotel with room service and all the rest, this is not for you. But if you want to stay in a wonderful location with great atmosphere, and lovely decorated rooms with a caring staff, this is the place.

wonderful stay

by TripAdvisor Member unplainjaneToronto

just got back from a 4 night stay at the hotel washington and it was excellent! it is on a quiet street in the museum area and is in walking distance to leidsaplein and vondelpark. central station is a bit far but the tram is just around short walk away and is really convenient for the more distant areas like dam square and jordan. and for coming home when your tired. would definitely recommend going to prisengracht in jordan which is beautiful and take a canal tour which can be boarded across from the heineken experience.

the staff were really friendly and allowed me to check in early at 9am without extra charge. i just let them know beforehand. we stayed in a large double room (which was actually 2 single beds put together which i thought was a bit strange). it faced the back garden and had a nice clean bathroom.

the only small issues i had was that because my room was on the second floor i would wake up at 7:30am from the noises of the breakfast service which was directly downstairs. being a late riser i didn't like that. also the floors are creaky so you can hear people walking around. and facing the garden i would hear loud birds chirping in the morning. also it would have been nice if the decor of the bedroom was nicer. but these things really didn't affect my enjoyment very much. and i always fell back asleep : )

breakfast was very nice and was served in a lovely room from 8-10am. it looks deceptively small but actually fills you up quite nicely and keeps you going till lunch. the restaurants around the area are expensive. though there is one place we found close-by where the food was inexpensive and really delicious. it's called pompa and is on the corner of willemsparkweg and van barlestraat. they make amazing salads. you can get an entree for around 8-12 euro where other places around the area averaged about 18 euro.

i enjoyed the fact that my stay there was like staying in someone's home as opposed to a big generic hotel. i would definitely recommend this hotel for someone who wants a cozier traditional dutch hotel experience.

Would recommend this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Daisysnail

We recently stayed at the Washington Hotel during our trip to Amsterdam, the place was very easy to find with excellant directions from the Hotels 'Website, we found the hotel very clean, smart, and the owners were friendly and extremely helpful, there are steep stairs so if you are not good with stairs then ask for a first floor room. Although I would prefer traditional English Breakfast, there was more than enough of the continental choice, cereals, orange juice, fruit, ham cheese, toast, biscuits and fruit loaf, with plenty of tea and coffee. The Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum are literally 5 minutes walk round the corner and tram stops nearby. We would definately stay here again, and we will be visiting Amsterdam in the very near future as there is so much to see there. I Love the Place!

Comments