Hotel Weber

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Amsterdam

NEMO Science CenterNEMO Science Center

Volendam cafe/bakeryVolendam cafe/bakery

Exhibition about teenager's sex lifeExhibition about teenager's sex life

THE COLORS OF AMSTERDAMTHE COLORS OF AMSTERDAM

2nd hand clothing (shops) in Netherlands

by song99

2nd hand clothing (shops) in Netherlands

I am looking for the Dutch name, (with addresses) of shops selling decent, 2nd-hand clothing with a price range of 1-10euros/item. No designer stuff, no vintage, no furniture, just regular men's clothing. Usually these shops are called Humana (in Europe), ValueVillage (in N. America). Also, they are sometimes called Salvation Army, Red Cross, and even thrift shops. Also, if applicable, please let me know on which (day of the week) - new items arrive to each store, or if there's a sale day. Thanks very much.

by Pijlmans

Try the markets at Waterloopplein or Albert Cuyp in Amsterdam...

Cheers,
Dennis

by song99

I think this could be the best offer in the country

Kruidvat Mobile startpack (10euro/13euro credit), only 5cent/sms

by pieter_jan_v

There is a chain of recycling stores; see:

Besides these, most cities have individual stores as well (long list).

PJ

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Picturesque

by CoAir13

Maybe it's cliche, but the canals - lined with the beautiful canal houses - is one of the best things about Amsterdam. Such a unique postcard beauty, it's hard to walk by without stopping on every bridge to have a look around!

Dam Square

by JUNLI

Dam Square
The building in picture is the Koninklijk Paleis (Royal Palace) on Dam Square.

Compairing with other grand palace in Europe, that's really a disappointing one. When I was there, the whole square in under reconstruction which made things worse.

There's also an ugly monument on this square, and I feel it looks like .... :-)

Damrak

by zrim

The main busy street leading away from the Central Station is called the Damrak. It is bustling and a bit overwhelming for the inexperienced Amsterdam visitor. After walking with the crowds for a block or two--I pleaded with Becky for a quick stop at the outdoor cafe so that we could plan our further venturings. We eventually decided to forasake the busy Damrak and steered eastwards into the narrow alleyways which comprise the Red Light District and its environs.

This photo shows the small canal, also known as Damrak, from which the many canal boat tours originate. We did not choose to take the time necessary for a boat tour feeling that we were better off on foot.

Hash Dude, August 2002

by bakpakchik

Need I say more? This dude signifies the Amsterdam experience for most tourists. Jill and I were luckily able to scratch beneath Amsterdam's sex, drugs and booze veneer and it will take another day to write all of what we experienced in Amsterdam. Not that we overlooked the sex, drugs and booze bit, that is. :)

The last night in Amsterdam, there were no beds in any of the hostels, but I stuck around instead of catching a train back to Brussels where there will always be a bed. I wonder why. Hehehe. I knew something would work out and it did. Haley and Paul from Jill's dorm decided to spend the night in Paul's bed and I got to sleep in Haley's. Thankyou Amsterdam.

Jill and I walked around the city doing pretty much nothing that day. Nothing but taking in the sights, the sounds and the smells. We stumbled upon a flower market and a book market later on. We found ourselves in a tiny little Christmas decoration shop, that was just so beautiful. We spent ages sifting through the little curios. Just enough time to get the shopping done: 185 more days till Christmas!

my daily journal

by excitableone

we rang the bell to the b&b and finally met vera the owner of the b&b, she seems very friendly she gave us the lowdown on how they served breakfast and gave us the key to our own personal entrance. after all that we finally got to head off into amsterdam. we knew from day one of planning that we wanted to go to barney's for the sweet tooth and maybe some lunch. once we located barney's which was easy, we went in to experiance the first time buying weed in a public building to smoke in public without fear of jail. i knew the basics for how the coffeeshop's work so i approached the dealer and asked for the menu, he handed me a list of what they had and without looking i ordered 2 grams of sweet tooth cause that was the plan only to hear the man say, " we don't carry sweet tooth anymore" !!! DAMN! he quickly let me know that they had the next generation of sweet tooth called MORNING GLORY, and that was what they were entering in the cup in 3 days. we purchased 2 grams and sat at an empty table, we looked over the food menu and nothing sounded that great, so we just ordered some orange juice. i rolled up a nice joint and began to experiance first hand what dutch tolerance was all about.. WOW this bud was really nice, very smelly and crystally. good high nothing overpowering, i've had much stronger back home, but back home i gotta hide inside my house in order to smoke in peace. the bud was 10 euro a gram, which i thought may have been to steep from what i've heard. but it was a fat bag! as we sat enjoying our afternoon the dealer came over and asked us if we would mind moving to another table in order to accomidate a big group that came in, we had no problem with that and he sat us next to two ladies. they were from england and were happy to shed some light on the rules of coffeeshops etc...they mixed tobacco in their spliff and were blown away that we smoked only pure spliffs, we gave them a hit off ours and they fell in love with that sweet pure taste. they explained that in england top notch gear is really expensive so they have to make the bags last so that's why they mix in tobacco. we had some small talk, and they gave me a pack of their papers saying that the papers the shops use suck and we'll need these.

Comments