Stationsplein 49, Amsterdam, 1012 AB

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 10% higher than other 3 star hotels

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Ibis Amsterdam Centre, says it all

I must admit that when we travel we would not stay in the Ibis hotels because of the cost. But since this was a work trip and my place of work was arranging AND paying....
    When I arrived at the hotel the staff were very helpful in getting me information about the trains also, this was important for my work, especially since much of the train system was NOT WORKING because of a snowstorm.

Unique Quality: For both work and play in Amsterdam this hotel is ideally located, that is for sure. If it is access to the main attractions, or to the transportation system, you can't beat this. The hotel itself is actually "on" the main train station platform. The first photo shows the hotel from the entrance side and the entrance to the train station is just on the right. The other photos shows parts INSIDE the train station that could be seen from the hotel window, or looking into downtown Amsterdam itself.

Directions: The entrance to the hotel is just outside the train station.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

IBIS; build over the Railroad tracks

The IBIS hotel is right at and over the Central Station. At the west side the new extended building has been build over the railroad tracks.

The entrance can be hard to get to at times, because you have to battle your way through the taxi stand and the cowded bicycle parking.

The hotel offers 363 rooms and is part of the Accor group.

Pets (1 per room) are allowed.

Directions: Turn right when exiting the station at the city side.

• Jazzop's Profile Photo

Good Spot Hotel

Good hotel in a great spot. Right near all the action, but on the edge so you can stay away if you choose to. It's also right near the train station. The hotel is clean and the rooms are fine. The bed is comfy and has a TV. There is air-conditioning and you can even open the window for some fresh air. Breakfast down stairs in a feast with hot and cold options, and it's a great way to start the day, or get over the night before.

The only problems are the rooms are quite small and the bathroom smaller still. It can also get noisy. My room was on the canal side and the taxis below love to honk their horns at night. The other side of the hotel overlooks the train lines and some friends said they could hear a train or two during the night. I stayed there at the end of March 06 and there was also some construction work being done but it should finish soon I suspect.

I would stay there again.

• funkychunkypartymonk's Profile Photo

top noch hotel

we had no accomodation booked when we landed and after hours of door knocking and some rather disturbing bedsits (dingy dives) we found this place the staff were great and let all 10 of us in! the rooms were nice and livable i shared a double and you had all the basics shower tv phone but not a great lot of room however you do get a nice view of the train station or millioions of bikes!

Unique Quality: The best thing about this place for me was the bar its shaped just like a ship with all the fixtures and fittings! and has beer vending machines on every landing!

Directions: get off the train in amsterdm central turn right and you cant miss it, next door to the multi storey bicycle rack!

• IBIS

Very close to train station, literally step out of the train station, turn right, walk for about five minutes (ok, this depends on the quantity of luggage you have) and you arrive at the Ibis. Being close to the train station in Amsterdam means that it is also close to the Centre of Amsterdam. Amstel is just two blocks/bridges away. All trams also depart from the train station so it is quite centrally located for getting anywhere within Amsterdam!
    The Hotel itself would not have the same standard as others I have stayed in, in Brussels for example, but this may be to do with location. The rooms / ensuites are smaller, but towels are changed daily, and the bed is made daily also. Kettle is available from reception, along with mugs, tea, coffee. There are drink machines available on all floors, and there is a bar and room service available for food also.
    Booked this on the IBIS website, transpried to be cheaper than if we had 'arrived and booked'

More about Ibis Amsterdam Centre

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member sunset_uk

Went to Amsterdam with DFDS and stayed at this hotel for night, it has a great location - next to central railway station and about 10 minute walk to dam square. The Canal cruises starts just opposite the
hotel also. The rooms are average size and are good value for money, DFDS charged us £60 for the room for the night.

There can be long queues trying to check in and out and reception staff will stop to answer the phone in betwen checking people in and out which adds to the wait as the phone seemed to ring none stop.
Hotel is very accomodating at allowing you to check in early (10am) as the boat arrives early in the morning and they will store your luggage as well on checking out or you can keep your room for 10 euros an hour.

Would recommend this hotel if you stay in amsterdam for the location and value for money.

Short Stay Only

by TripAdvisor Member manicsfan

I stayed at The Ibis for 1 night with my husband and my parents. It's clean but very basic. Definately not the place to stay if you want luxury. Ideal for a cheap overnight stay and the location is great. Don't bother with the breakfast there, hard scrambled eggs and chewy sausages that taste of nothing. Reasonably priced bar and very friendly staff.

Ideal for a short stay

by TripAdvisor Member Leedsnut

Like other reviewers I'd confirm that this is not the hotel to choose for a long stay. A couple of nights was long enough in our small room overlooking the station platform and men at work! Everything was spotlessly clean in our room, and the bed was comfy. The hotel's ideal location means that you can walk everywhere worth seeing within 10-15 minutes, and only a couple of minutes to the water taxis and sightseeing boats if you want to go further afield. However, when going to and from the hotel, no matter how hard you try, you cannot avoid having to pass by the public urinal on the bridge corner which absolutely hummed! Staff at the hotel were friendly enough, and if like us, you get the late night or early hours munchies and dont want to leave the hotel, we recommend the hotel's 24 hour pizza service, as the four cheese pizza was delicious! The bathroom was just too small to be functional, and I defy anyone of standard height to be able to sit on the loo without their knees crammed up against the wall! We did not find the station too noisy at night, but there was a very distracting knocking/scratching noise which seemed to come from the air conditioning system all night, and despite our best efforts we could not eliminate it. All in all, this is a good hotel for a short break or overnighter.

Excellent Location but Basic

Americans need to understand that rooms in Europe are just smaller and we are very spoiled in the U.S. Saying that, the room is a typical European room - on the small side. Hopefully you won't spend too much time in it, after all you are in Amsterdam! The bathroom however is MUCH TOO SMALL. You couldn't even use the toilet without being literally 2 inches from some random wall heater. My husband hit his head several times. The shower curtain and tiles were a little moldy. Even though they advertise AC, there was still not enough ventilation in the room especially with the ridiculously small bathroom. Taking a hot shower meant steaming the room.The AC barely worked and seemed to be preprogrammed on the lowest possible setting. Even though we traveled in July, it wasn't hot so not such a huge deal.

Request a room on an upper floor away from the construction. We did this based on another review and we had a lovely panoramic view of the city with no noise. For the price, it is an okay deal. We mainly needed a place close to the train station and this hotel is literally an easy 3 minute walk dragging heavy luggage plus it was very easy to catch the city trams because every tram stops at Central Station. I also suggest getting breakfast somewhere else. Their breakfast is expensive for slim pickings-rubbery eggs, hard cheese etc... Bed was very comfortable and we had an in room safe however they request a deposit for their blowdryers which I think is ridiculous. Don't use their hotel business center - it is expensive. There is a CHEAPER place (2 euros for 1 hour) at an internet spot on the mailnDamrak road (main street and 5 minute walk from the hotel).

Aside from the bathroom, the rest of the room and hotel was clean and basic. In Amsterdam mostly everyone speaks English so it is very easy to get around. The staff were very friendly, helpful and knowledable. We stayed 3 nights and that was about our limit. If we were to come back we would probably book this hotel again ONLY IF it were for a couple of days and if they lowered their prices. It is really only worth about 150 euros but we paid a little over 200 euros. If you want luxury or even more character then don't stay here. However, if you are traveling by train to and from and have luggage or if you want a very central location (it really doesn't get more central than this place) then stay here. By the way it is super easy to get to and from the airport from the Central Station. I would also reccomend using Rick Steves guidebooks.

Clean and Quiet

by TripAdvisor Member Seattle_Dani

After spending two terrible nights at the Amstel Botel, I checked myself into the Ibis for my last night in Amsterdam. I didn't want to stay too far from the train station, as I had an early flight in the morning.

The Ibis is 100% non-smoking. The room was very clean and the bathroom was fairly spacious. Even though my room faced the street, it was very quiet.

I paid 100 euros ,including tax. Breakfast was not included and there were no coffee or tea making services in the room. This was not too much of an issue for me, but would have been a nice extra.

Traveling with Car

by JacksonsTravels

Hi,

Have planned a road trip, with wife, child and 2 elderly parents.

Planned for 2-3nights in September.

Would like to find accomadatation near city centre with parking, or parking nearby.

Due to child and parents, would prefer not to have to travel too far with luggage on public transport.

Any options or thoughts.

by jojes

Hi

Both of the times we've been to Amsterdam we've stayed at the Ibis Amsterdam Centre. As in all Ibis hotels, you don't have to expect a lot of luxury, but the location is really ideal !
It's next to the central station is next door, but the sound of the trains aren't disturbing. The hotel has been enlarged between our 1st and 2nd visit.
In front of the hotel are the departures for trams, busses and tour-boats.
No doubt about booking it again if we go back !

Enjoy your trip !
Jessika

by jojes

sorry, forgot to post the link to the hotel's website in my first reply :

by pieter_jan_v

Have a look at:

Easy to reach (1 minute from the highway ring around Amsterdam).

Tram, metro and train at 5 minutes walking.

... or do you insist to have a hotel downtown?

PJ

by Jason21B

Yup, Ibis, like they said above. Anywhere in Europe you go will have one and they're always nice places with good location. Also Hotel Amsterdam is pretty good.

Comments