King Hotel

More about Amsterdam

Center of AmsterdamCenter of Amsterdam

Diamonds are ForeverDiamonds are Forever

De Oude Kerk / The Old ChurchDe Oude Kerk / The Old Church

see the person in the back?see the person in the back?

Tram card or something

by RVieira

Hello.
Can somebody tell me if there's any sord of card that will allow me to use the tram in Amsterdam for a whole day? (not the I amsterdam card )

Re: Tram card or something

by johngayton

Yes you can get a 24 hour pass for 7 Euros which is valid on all public transport within the the city. I think there's now a machine at Centraal Station where you can get these or at the tourist/GVB office over the road from the station's main entrance. When using the trams you need to click in and out each journey. Details are here: http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/Documents/BestDeal/index.html

Re: Tram card or something

by pieter_jan_v

According to the www.gvb.nl website 24 hours tickets also can be bought in the tram at either the driver or ticket salesman (if on-board).

PJ

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Speaking English in NL

by abi_maha

Do not assume people speak English here, though most of them do you will get a strict lecture if you just straight away ask them for help/directions in english. Always ask them if they speak english and then ask.

The cleanest public restrooms

by garridogal

I have never seen such clean public bathrooms in my life as I did in Amsterdam. Even if you're in a bar that's in a canal house that was built in the 1600's, the bathroom is clean! Some provide you with seat cleaner so you can do some touch ups on your own and some charge around 40cents (at stores, typically) but it's a pleasure to play for a clean bathroom that both looks and smells good!

Highlights of Amsterdam and a scary memory

by sabsi

hmmm walk along the canals, go to NEMO, go on a boat trip, have a drink at Nieuwmarkt, see the red light district, eat in chinatown and be there on 30 April! Well my winter memory of Amsterdam is the following horror scenario:

Around midnight on New Years Eve fire was set to whole boxes full of firecrackers. After an hour or two the streets were covered with the wrapping paper of them and everything was on fire!!!

Apart from that it was -25C that night so we couldn't really walk around much, it was too cold.

Kuan Yin Shrine

by Mariajoy

My favourite thing about Amsterdam is that no matter how often you visit, there is always something new to discover.

I came across the Kuan Yin Shrine whilst on a walkabout with VT member Pieter jan V and Swanet. We were in Chinatown and saw that this beautiful Chinese shrine was open and only requested that visitors be silent - photography was allowed. For the price of 20C visitors could choose a tiny roll of yellow paper with words of Chinese wisdom. Mine read

I remember when I brought up my child; Now my child is raising my grandchild.
My child let me go hungry; let him be.
But don't let my grandchild make my child hungry!

I'm still thinking about it!

Walk around the Red Light...

by Razorart

Walk around the Red Light District and go in every coffee bar that you see. My boyfriend and I were there for three short (but long) nights. Each of these nights (dusk until the wee hours) were spent in various coffee bars and walking around the beautifully light canals. Amsterdam is a celestial place to visit in the winter.

Comments