Marnix Hotel

Marnixstraat 382, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland 1016

Marnix Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• Without a doubt, worst hotel of my life

This is the first time I have ever been insulted and almost assaulted by a receptionist in a hotel. Here is the story in a nutshell:
    My friends and I came back from a night out in Amsterdam at what must have been 12 or 12.30am; a reasonable hour I would think (at least for a hotel). The problem was that we weren't able to get into our room because the main door of the hotel building had been locked. One of our friends had returned to the hotel earlier than us that night seeing as though she was feeling tired and wanted to get some rest. The receptionist didn't have keys to the second building (this is where they accommodate guests in case there are too many people in their main establishment) because, according to him, he had already used the key once to let one of the guests of our room in (ie. our friend). Thus, in an attempt to understand this ridiculous situation of a receptionist telling guests he is unable to open the door to the hotel, we insisted that he call someone or do something to let us in. After about 5 mins, the receptionist starting insulting us and telling us that we find ourselves another solution (maybe he meant another hotel, throwing stones at the window, attempt to climb up to the 4th floor or who knows..). When I told him I would go talk to the police he decided to get off his lazy posterior and feebly threatened me with his funny accent (actually, at the time I was crapping in my pants thinking my night would end in a fight). CONCLUSION: IF YOU WANT TO GO TO A HOTEL (one of those where you actually sleep on a bed, you can come back anytime you want, etc.) TRUST ME, this is the last place on earth you want to go.

• El_Cookie's Profile Photo

Great Location

The hotel is a block away from the Lesideplein on the same street the Melkweg is at. Staff was cool, place was clean and it was within a short walk to all kinds of bars, clubs, restaurants and museums. I would stay there again anytime. We paid 320 Euros (exchange rate at the time 1 E = $1.32 :-( yeah we picked the wrong week to go) for 5 nights for a room with shared shower and toilet. The street was noisy and the hotel walls didn't help much but we passed out right thru all of it ..LOL don't get room 101 if you are a light sleeper. This place is just for crashing after some partying not much to do in there but sleep.

Unique Quality: Great view of the trams passing buy...LOL

Directions: Leidsestraat turn right on Marnixstraat...tram 1,2 or 5 from Central Station to the Leidseplein.

More about Marnix Hotel

Nieumarkt/Dam Square

by elabut

Is the area in between Nieumarkt and Dam Square OK for accomodations? Is it fairly safe for walking at night? What about the the area 1 km west of Nieumarkt? We just came to realize that we will need to book soon for 2 nights during Easter weekend.
I have checked many sources for accomodations under 100 euros for 2 persons. Places in the 2 areas mentioned above may be available. I have also found the Marnix hotel (90 euros) which I have doubts about.

by Igraine

Its more or less the redlight district between Dam and Nieuwmarkt. If not the RLD then on the border. So if you want aereas where you will feel more safey ou might look elsewhere.

by dila

i agree with igraine.
it is the red light district or nearby.
during daytime it can be ok.
but the problem is drugs (addicts and dealers)
i have some info about hotels on the amsterdam forum 9 januari in better areas.
what we do most of the time is searching on google hotel arrangement amsterdam.
like this one but it is in dutch
we use this one often hotelspecials.
eastern and queensdag (30 april) are allways crowded.
but make reservations for sure.
bye
diana

Re: Re: Nieumarkt/Dam Square

by pieter_jan_v

Radisson Hotel at the Rusland is pretty save. I hope thay have some last minutes deals in your price range.

PJ

Re: Re: Nieumarkt/Dam Square

by dnwitte

I wouldn't consider it dangerous, but it's very busy at all hours and full of people you don't really want to know, so I'd be more concerned with late night noise than anything else.

by elabut

Thanks for the information. The Radisson Rusland is 199 euro/night. We will likely be staying in the red-light district since I have found a well reviewed studio apartment there for 104 euro. We will be in Amsterdam only for 2 nights and many hotels have a 3 night minimun during easter weekend.

Comments