Marnix Hotel

#277
Rank 277 of 792 hotels
in Amsterdam
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 reviews

Without a doubt, worst hotel of my life

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 23, 2010

This is the first time I have ever been insulted and almost assaulted by a receptionist in a hotel. Here is the story in a nutshell:
My friends and I came back from a night out in Amsterdam at what must have been 12 or 12.30am; a reasonable hour I would think (at least for a hotel). The problem was that we weren't able to get into our room because the main door of the hotel building had been locked. One of our friends had returned to the hotel earlier than us that night seeing as though she was feeling tired and wanted to get some rest. The receptionist didn't have keys to the second building (this is where they accommodate guests in case there are too many people in their main establishment) because, according to him, he had already used the key once to let one of the guests of our room in (ie. our friend). Thus, in an attempt to understand this ridiculous situation of a receptionist telling guests he is unable to open the door to the hotel, we insisted that he call someone or do something to let us in. After about 5 mins, the receptionist starting insulting us and telling us that we find ourselves another solution (maybe he meant another hotel, throwing stones at the window, attempt to climb up to the 4th floor or who knows..). When I told him I would go talk to the police he decided to get off his lazy posterior and feebly threatened me with his funny accent (actually, at the time I was crapping in my pants thinking my night would end in a fight). CONCLUSION: IF YOU WANT TO GO TO A HOTEL (one of those where you actually sleep on a bed, you can come back anytime you want, etc.) TRUST ME, this is the last place on earth you want to go.

El_Cookie's Profile Photo

Great Location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 9, 2004

The hotel is a block away from the Lesideplein on the same street the Melkweg is at. Staff was cool, place was clean and it was within a short walk to all kinds of bars, clubs, restaurants and museums. I would stay there again anytime. We paid 320 Euros (exchange rate at the time 1 E = $1.32 :-( yeah we picked the wrong week to go) for 5 nights for a room with shared shower and toilet. The street was noisy and the hotel walls didn't help much but we passed out right thru all of it ..LOL don't get room 101 if you are a light sleeper. This place is just for crashing after some partying not much to do in there but sleep.

Unique Quality: Great view of the trams passing buy...LOL

Directions: Leidsestraat turn right on Marnixstraat...tram 1,2 or 5 from Central Station to the Leidseplein.

Nearby Marnix Hotel

1 Photo of Marnix Hotel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Marnix Hotel

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews