Marriott Amsterdam

Museum Visits Business Travel Luxury Travel
See Amenities
augusto1956's Profile Photo

a terrible experience

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 28, 2014

I stayed in this hotel from 17 august to 26 august 2014.
The hotel is well located but it is old and worn out.
My experience with the hotel was a bitter one.
I and my friend were stolen inside the Executive Lounge of the hotel during the breakfast on 24 of August. I lost goods and money in the amount of 1.600 euros (Ipad, camera, money, credit cards, passport etc) and my friend lost a similar amount. The Executive Lounge is a restricted space and you can just go in using a card. For this reason I suspect that someone from the hotel crew collaborated with the thief. The security camera captured the thief leaving the hotel with my backpack and with the handbag of my friend.
The hotel didn't assume any responsibility for the incident and refused to indemnify us against any losses. According to the hotel General Manager all places in the hotel are considered public places (sic), even the rooms rented to the guests. For me, this is an absurd assumption.
Besides the material losses, all my photos and my passport were lost and I spent 2 days (out of 9 days of vacation) trying to get a new passport in Rotterdam and registering the case in the police station.
At the end, in the checkout, I felt myself as if I were paying the Marriott Hotel to be stolen by them, once in my opinion the hotel had great responsibility for the incident.
Some employees of the hotel were sympathetic to me and expressed their opinion that the situation was a scandal and that the hotel should have offered some kind of compensation. Despite this, the superior manager refused to offer me any compensation.

Great location

by written on October 6, 2012

I stayed here for work 10 years ago and try to stay in Marriott's because of the 'known' factor. there are certain standards for quiet, bedding, customer service, plumbing that are always high.
This hotel is pricey $300 euros per night in mid Sept, but all hotels around Leidseplein seemed to be high (Hotel American is $390 euros per night)
so the location is great for getting around Amsterdam, 100 bars and restaurants within 5 minute walk, and a shopping area, regular non-tourist stores if you want to go the other direction. plus the museums are close by

We really liked it and would recommend, we did pay $100 euros per night in other small hotels in small towns in Germany (rated high) that allowed us to keep overall costs down.

Unique Quality: good views, but make sure they move your room if you get a brick wall view (there are some because we got one at first)

Directions: Leidseplein area

mif4's Profile Photo

may be best choice in that area

by written on August 10, 2010

I landed in the Marriott through Priceline for a very cheap price and after *suffering* the NH Amsterdam Center, which is next door. I had seen rooms in many hotels in the area looking for a firmer bed, but did not try the Marriott because of the price. Using "bid your own price" in Priceline, I landed at the Marriott, and to my surprise the beds were firmer here than anywhere else in the area. Location is very good, trams of all kinds just a block away. Staff very friendly, I asked for a quiet room and late arrival and there was no problem; the room was spacious for Amsterdam standards. The overpricing of services is the problem: internet in a five star hotel should by now be free everywhere, I think (they charged me 7 euros for 15 minutes in the lobby- did not try the internet in the room because of the price) and the room did not have a coffee maker, which I thought was very odd, so you are either forced to pay their expensive breakfast or go out without a coffee to find one a couple of blocks away. not nice...
Leidse plein if full of restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, and shops. very lively area for those on holidays, for those on business, very easy transportation connections to the rest of the city.

dustmon's Profile Photo

Comfortable but overpriced

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 18, 2010

Staying at the Marriott close to the Leidseplein was a last minute splurge because I couldn't find anything less expensive on short notice. I have stayed at many different places in Amsterdam (other hotels, inns and houseboats) and although this one is comfortable, breakfast was not included in my stay as alot of others do, and the price was over $250 US.
The location is the best part right on the tram route.

Unique Quality: Close to Leidseplein

Directions: Near Leidseplein

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

At the Stadshouderskade; Marriott

by written on March 16, 2009

The Mariott is one of the bigger Amsterdam hotels and very popular. Its location is close to the Leidseplein and Vondelpark, which makes it an attractive place to stay.

Directions: Just South of the leidseplein

jovik's Profile Photo

A good choice

by written on September 18, 2007

Great hotel choice. If you don't use a good hotel Amsterdam, you may be very dissapointed. There are excellent hotels, like the Marriot and others that you would not take your dog to. Pay the extra.

For Amsterdam, well satisified.

JLoeb's Profile Photo

AMS Great location

by written on June 6, 2007

This Marriott is in the heart of Amesterdamn. Close to all musems, restaurants and shops. Transportation at your door. Hotel very nice extremely friendly personel. Close to the canal which is a must.

Unique Quality: Wonderful location within walking distance to all you need.

Bix10's Profile Photo

A Perfect Location

by written on February 23, 2007

I love this hotel for its location. It's in the Leidseplein area where it's the centre of everything that's nice and not naughty. You have all the museums, restaurants, boutiques, shops and bars nearby.

The rooms are excellent and the Executive lounge is not too bad but it's not as good as the ones in London, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. Perhaps becasue it's not a JW Marriott.

They have a nice equipped gym and weights room, which I particularly like. The restaurants are not much of a choice. The only thing that's good to eat here is at the Characters Bar & Grill, which is also Pizza Hut. A nice bar to sit at, facing the busy main road of Stadhouderskade and a view of Leidseplein.

The laundry room is very useful as it's easy to reach rather than some Marriott where it's hidden and far. This one is on the second floor and between the rooms in the middle. The concierge is very helpful in fishing for 'any' information you want, absolutely anything. The bad thing about this hotel is the housekeeping department as well as the operators. They can be extrememly rude and yet, the hotel management don't do anything about it even after tons of letters.

Unique Quality: Good view of the street from the rooms at the front and executive lounge.

Directions: Leidseplein Area

Good choice in Leidseplein

by written on December 24, 2006

We heard lots of horror stories about some of the Amsterdam hotels, not to worry the Marriott is first class. The room was very large and the way the hotel is designed with the Zig-Zag hallways its a quiet hotel compared to most. The bed was very comfortable with many nice soft pillows and a soft comforter. The bedds here are A++. The staff was very friendly and had smiles on their faces, they were very helpful in giving us any info about the area. We were going to take a taxi back to the airport when the desk clerk told us the Bus was more dependable and cost only 20% of what a taxi would cost. I did hear a few tales about the taxi drivers that were not so good.

Some tips: if arriving for the first time and at Centraal Station they will tell you to watch out for pick pockets, like many places. Make sure when you arrive you know how you are getting to Leidseplein where the Marriott is. This is a 15-20 minute walk and you do not want to do this with a lot of luggage. I would say figure out how you are getting to your hotel and back to the airport before you arrive and get a map to be more familiar with Amsterdam and the long names used by the Dutch. Overall the Dutch are some of the most friendly people I have ever met, but still you want to not be lost or look like an easy target when you arrive. There probably will be a large crowd in the Centraal Station area most of the time, not some wwhere you want to be walking around with big suitcases.

The hotel is in a great area for anything you are looking for, 100's of places to eat, shop and have fun. I would stay here again, its on the higher priced end in A-Dam , but still a good value if you are willing to pay $300 or a little more a night. The Photo I included is the street area near the hotel, so when you see this Church you will know the Marriott is close, just a few blocks south. Highly Recommended !

Unique Quality: Zig-Zag hallways, quiet. Liedsplein seems to be a more upscale area than Dam Square or close to Centraal Station. Very nice terra (biergarten) with lots of restaurants and cafes and also coffeeshops close by.

Directions: Use the Trams, its very easy You can also take the #370 to the airport, takes about 30-35 minutes runs every 34 minutes or once per hour, the Marriott has bus schedules. Trams 1-2-5 will take you almost everywhere .

charlesracine's Profile Photo

Very GOOD choice

by written on November 14, 2006

Great hotel choice. If you don't use a good hotel Amsterdam, you may be very disappointed. There are excellent hotels, like the Marriott and others that you would not take your dog to. Pay the extra.

Unique Quality: For Amsterdam, well satisfied.

Frisbeeace's Profile Photo

A Marriott in the museum area

by written on September 23, 2006

This decent Marriott is average comparing others in Europe but still a good option in Amsterdam, mainly due its excellent location in the museum area. It has better dining options around than the Renaissance near the train station which also belongs to Marriott. Choice between both is tough as both are really good and within the same price range.

Lacristina's Profile Photo

Not All Bad, but Not Great

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 22, 2006

While the Marriott was a reasonably good deal on two weeks notice during the height of tourist season in July (149 euros per night, AAA rate, though they didn't ask for proof when I checked in), I must add that the hotel could use some serious housekeeping attention.

Two main issues:
1) The bathroom smelled like wet towels left for three days on the bottom of a hamper. Ugh. Would have asked to change rooms, but I had already unpacked and just didn't want to waste any of the very few hours I would be in town.

2) The sliding glass doors and small balcony with a nice view would have been lovely, but the glass doors were filthy!

Otherwise, it’s a nice hotel, with large rooms and a comfy bed, and well located. It's just across the street and canal from Leidseplein, one of the major squares in Amsterdam full of cafés, shops, street performers and late night life, and only half a kilometer from the Museumplein where you’ll find the Van Gogh, Stedelijk and Rijksmuseums.

Concierge, desk and all other service people were friendly and helpful.

The décor, including the bathroom, is closer to 3 star than 4. Wireless broadband costs 19 euros per day – ouch!

Their buffet breakfast is overpriced at 24 euros. On the other hand, they have a free coffee station in the lobby (one of those wonderful machines that grinds the beans fresh for each cup). There's a hot water pot and instant coffee or tea in your room.

Since I don’t eat a big breakfast, I simply took two cups of free coffee from the lobby, and ordered the 6 euro basket of breakfast rolls from room service. It was more than enough for one person.

Directions: Near Leidseplein

VickiJ's Profile Photo

Great Location!

by written on April 24, 2006

We stayed in this hotel a couple of years ago...mainly as there was a large group of us going to Amsterdam and this hotel was the most suitable to our needs. Our room was quite small but had a massive double bed (so probably why the room seemed so small) and was well looked after. The room has all amenities you would expect to find too, such as hair dryer, press, tea and coffee facilites etc.
The hotel has a pizza hut restuarant (i personally didn't like the pizza in there) and another resturant, it also has a bar with a pool table too.
The hotel is in great location too; within walking distance to many bars and restuarants, a casino and Hard Rock Cafe. There is also a tram stop nearby to take you further afield.
The hotel is within walking distance from the Central Station, but if you have bags from travelling it is probably better catching the tram!

Unique Quality: Overall the hotel is lovely and the location is great.

Directions: Leidesplein

H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

Another Great Marriott, Amsterdam Style!!

by written on November 3, 2005

We stayed at the Marriott, as I always try to do, because of course the stellar quality that the Marriott name represents worldwide. Well, that , and I have a friend that works for Marriott, so we got a dirt cheap rate! As far as the price, in our case, less than 60 Euros, it could not be beat! But I have to say that we would have been more than satisfied staying here and still paying a much higher rate.
The location in our opinion could not have been better. Located right across from the Leidseplein, where there are loads of restaurants, tons of shopping, nightlife, and coffeeshops. Also just a short walk is the Museumplein, including the Rijksmuseum and the VanGogh museum. Vondelpark is located just behind the hotel, and the Heineken brewery is about a 10 minute walk.
The staff was excellent! The concierge, as well as the front desk gave us great recommendations and directions walking and using the trams. We were able to purchase museum tickets there at the hotel in order to avoid the lines. The wait staff in Quoy restaurant were superb. Great buffet breakfast served there. Characters lounge is a great place to have a couple of drinks. Maid service was superb!
The rooms were quite nice. We had a nice view over looking the Leidseplein. Air conditioning in the room would have been great to have, but it was a little chilly, or at least for a couple of guys from Texas, so it was not really needed. Also nice to have a complementary in room safe. Room and bathroom were very clean.
The only complaint that we had was the 20+ Euro charge per day for in room high speed internet. A little pricey when competitors are offering it for free.
All and all, a wonderful stay here, and I would recommend it highly to anyone! Just do your internet surfing elsewhere!!!

Directions: Just across form the Leidseplein, near Vondelpark and the Museumplein.

Maidstoneman's Profile Photo

by written on September 25, 2005

Having previously stayed at the NH hotel next door we only chose this hotel becaues they offer rooms for 3 people and we were travelling with a mate. Its a great location. The room
was large and well appointed and the lift had a security card so that non-residnets couldn`t get up to the bedroom floors. Breakfast was very good indeed and was included in our rate. We didnt use the bar or restaurant in the evening.

Unique Quality: Very clean and exceptional service at Reception.

Nearby Marriott Amsterdam

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews