4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 88% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Arimateia's Profile Photo

Modern and Stylish

Excellent hotel,great friendly service,great location. Amazing breakfast. A really first Class hotel.

• Silvercabin's Profile Photo

Good Location for River Cruisers

We ended up choosing the Movenpick. As someone said here, it is deceptively far from Centraal Station. If I did this again with luggage, I would take Tram 26 instead of walking. I also found it safe to walk anywhere once I learned to tell the difference between the bicycle paths and the foot paths. The area around the station is under construction so it wasn't apparent which was which and I set out on the bicycle path. A kindly Dutch woman pointed it out to me. I wish the wouldn't allow motor scooters on the bicycle paths though. The move too fast and sometimes surprise you when they dart out from behind a cyclist.

Unique Quality: Excellent breakfast buffet

Directions: Walking distance, but a long walk with luggage, from Centraal Station and very close to the riverboat docks. Take Tram 26 from the station and get off at he first stop. Don't take the bridge across the canal. It doesn't lead to the hotel.

• nkcliff's Profile Photo

top class

this is a brilliant hotel to stay in and i litterally have nothing bad to say about it, the food was fantastic, service, everything and will honestly never stay anywhere else

Unique Quality: fantastic bar staff and cocktails, very resonable prices, absolute clean

Directions: next to the music houses, one stop on trams 25,26 from the central station

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

New upscale hotel on the river

Thanks to Priceline we were able to stay for the second half of our Amsterdam week at this new hotel property near the heart of the center of the city. Hotel Movenpick has located their new tower in a developing area, to the east of the Centraal Station. It's a ten to fifteen minute walk to the rail station, but there is also frequent tram service as well, and the hotel runs a convenient van shuttle to the station square as well.

(I've noticed on TripAdvisor that some Americans seem to feel that it's outrageous that the hotel labels itself as being in Central Amsterdam when it fact it is a fifteen minute walk to the train station. If that is indeed an issue for you, you should probably stay elsewhere.)

This upscale property caters to business travellers and those seeking a certain international standard of comfort. I've stayed at Movenpicks in Germany, and have come to associate this chain with excellent service as well. What I liked most about this Movenpick were the excellent views from our room. The helpful front desk clerk gave us a room on the 20th floor! This even though it must have been clear that we booked at the Priceline rate.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

At the cruise terminal

The Moevenpick hotel is a rather new 408 room hotel, like the completely renewed old harbour neighbourhood, where cargo depots are transferred into and replaced by modern buildings.

Unique Quality: Great view over the Amsterdam harbour.

Total non-smoking.

Directions: Just East of the Central Train Station at the Cruise Terminal.

Public Transport: Tram #25 or #26.

• DanielF's Profile Photo

There are a lot of hotels in...

There are a lot of hotels in A'dam, but being world touristic attraction, you should book in advance. Just in case. My favourite hotels are the Amstel hotel and Hotel de l'Europe. They are both located on beatiful and elegant mansions beside the channels.

The Ibis hotel is conveniently located just beside Centraal Station. Rooms are ok, but do not expect something different than the rest of the hotels belonging to the Ibis group (prices around €200, weekend fee).

Directions: This is the view from the roof of the Hotel ibis near the train station.

More about Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam

Experienced racial discrimination

by TripAdvisor Member jah-d

I stayed at your Movenpick Amsterdam Center Hotel on December 29, 2006 through the 1st of January. My stay was very pleasant until the morning of January 1st when I encountered one of your chefs at the buffet. That day he was preparing omelets. When I approached him for an omelet he greeted me by saying "What!" I was taken aback by his demenor and lack of consideration for me as a guest. I put my dish on the counter, and asked if I could get an omelet. Once again, he responded rudely and said, "Wait!" I was not out of line, or trying to get service before any other guest, and did not understand why he was talking to me in this way. Once he was done with the other guests omelet he asked what kind of omelet I wanted. I am japanese, but speak english well, although with an accent. I asked him for a vegetable omelet. He humiliated me repeatedly by saying, "What" as though he could not understand me. This went on embarrassing me for about 10 times. Finally, a gentleman next to me in line explained to the chef I would like a vegetable omelet. I work and live in the United States, and speak fluent English. Although, I understand from time to time it might not be clear what I'm saying, but I know for a fact this chef was intentionally being rude. I spoke to hostess, and she explained to me that the chef was not a "people person". I didn't receive any apologies from her. This should be no excuse to treat guests with humility. In all my travels over the years, I've never had to deal with such a bad experience. My holiday trip in Amsterdam is over shadow by this unplesant incident. I will never stay this hotel group.

Great Hotel!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member erica,esq

My husband and I actually booked to stay at another hotel in the city center. When we attempted to check in, we were told that they overbooked, and that we would be staying at a "new hotel about a mile away." We were dissapointed to be out of the city center, since we were only staying in Amsterdam for one day. However, the Moevenpick Hotel was by far much nicer than the original hotel. It is new and clean with amazing views of the Harbor. The hotel even gave us a room with a harbor view! After spending many hours in the city center, it was a relief to take the short (one stop) tram ride to the Moevenpick, wich was much quieter and cleaner than most of the more central hotels. The Moevenpick even has an amazing bar in which we had several drinks to relax after all the red light craziness. We decided that this will def be the hotel in which we stay next time in Amsterdam.

great hotel great location

by TripAdvisor Member trishandjoan

my boyfriend and stayed at the hotel on the first weekend of novmber, the taxi driver know where it was and had us there in 10 mins. the check in was short and sweet, very polite and helpfull.
the room was large and had 2 bed pushed togethere. the bathroom was big to and had all the things you need, a good hairdrier.
the walk in to town took about 15 mins and on our last day after lots of shopping we walked thrugh to the back entrence of central station and got to the hotel much faster. just walk towards the canal and turn right it will be in front of you.
they have a shuttle to central.
the gym is nice and the sauna is fab
we loved it and will be back

Modern and comfortable hotel

We stayed two nights at the Movenpick. We got a taxi from the airport (50 Eur), though in hindsight the free shuttle provided would have made more sense.
We were greeted at the hotel with a soft drink while we checked in.
Our room was very modern and spacious.
The bathroom was well above average with a large shower area.
It was explained to us at reception that breakfast was either free on the 3rd floor or a 10 Eur supplement on the 2nd. It was soon evident that everyone used the second, and equally clear that they didn't charge a supplement. Having said that, the breakfast was first class, with a choice better than some much more expensive hotels we have stayed at.
There is a free internet area on the ground floor, and a pleasant bar.
One annoying thing was that the maid was constantly trying to get in to clean the room, and there was no "do not disturb" sign. It wasn't as though we were late to breakfast- she started knocking from 8.15 onwards. She was, though, pleasant and polite. I would suggest this is just a teething problem as the hotel is new.
The location is not in an attractive area. However, for any able-bodied person the walk to central station is a comfortable 10 minute walk. Dam square is, perhap, a 10 minute brisk walk.

In summary, I would definitely use this hotel again. However it's ultra modern appearance might begin to look a little tired and dated in a few year's time.

Great hotel, but some teething problems

by TripAdvisor Member pommyscot

My 2 friends and myself stayed here for 2 nights 8 and 9 December 2006.

We were delighted with the standard of, and views from, our 15th floor room (very comfortable beds)and we loved the buffet breakfast. I don't understand how anyone could say it wasn't up to much! Fantastic choice of cooked breakfast, breads, cold cuts, fruits, cereals, etc. Omelettes and fried eggs were cooked to order. On the downside, on our first morning there weren't enough staff to cope with so many people, and the service was poor as a result.

The only major problem we had during our stay, was on returning to our room after a very long day in the city at 6.45pm, we were surprised and disappointed to find the cleaner had just arrived to clean our room! He was about to leave without replacing our coffee cups and wine glasses, and when we requested a change, he took them into the bathroom and rinsed them in the washhand basin! Bathroom floor wasn't cleaned and bins weren't emptied either. Frankly, the cleaner seemed exhausted, since we guessed he had been cleaning since early morning.

We spoke to the manager and he apologised, citing staff shortage. We asked for compensation, and he offered us 60 euros reduction in our bill, which we accepted.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel. It's position is somewhat remote, and the area under development, but if you don't mind a 10 to 15 minute walk or 10 euros per trip in a taxi, go ahead and book. Things should be a great deal better in a year or two, with lots of development planned in that area.

Final point. Very poor lighting in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. A single female traveller would feel very uneasy, and this is something which should be addressed immediately.

Comments