Multatuli Hotel

Hotel Multatuli
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

• loislois's Profile Photo

STRATEGIC POINT HOTEL

We stayed there for 3 days/nights.
    The main advantage of this hotel is their position.
    Just 5 minutes walk from the Train Station. Right opposite.
    All trams, metro, and many bus lines start or passing from the Trian Station, even Canal Boat Cruises.
    Of course the train station areas ussually are a bit suspicious, as well as begars, homeless, etc. Not something very dangerous, but always keep an eye around. Never know...

STAFF friendly and helpfull enough.

ROOMS are OK.
    All buildings in this city are narrow, but room size was acceptable. Clean, cozy bed and pillows, powerfull heating system, also Colc air A/C, in room safebox, linen, towels, Hair dryer, Coffee tea facilities, TV, Radio, all works well

BREAKFAST has a good and wide selection of hot and cold food. Good coffee and tea. GOOD QUALITY. Only minus was the quantities in meats, eggs, bacon. The served it in small qantity so quckly runs out and ask staf and wait again to bring more.

Unique Quality: Not something unique to report.

YES I recomend it to stay.

Directions: Go out of the station
    Cross the Prins Hendrikkade street and
    Walk 200m to the right.
    The hotel is in front of you.

• stebailly's Profile Photo

I Want to go Back !

stayed here july 2007 for 5 days, Great hotel, our luggage was three days late and the hotel staff couldn't have done more to help us try and track it down. If your looking for a hotel with; A pool, A great View or for people with disabilities this hotel isn't for you !Heres a rundown of the hotel;

Our room was on the ground floor behind reception
    Air Conditioning,
    Tv,
    Usual Necessities (hairdrier, Telephone and radio alarmclock)
    Nice Bathroom,
    Mini Bar (quite expensive)
    24hr room service ( Reasonably priced considering i phoned them at 4am for a cheese burger)
    Friendly Staff,
    Great Location,
    Wifi,
    Sauna (didn't try it out though)
    Breakfast (not included in price, 9.50 Euros extra but not worth it from what i heard from other guests)

As usual in Amsterdam the cost of hotels ain't that cheap we paid 600 euro's (in high season) for a twin room excluding tourist tax (5%), two great coffee shops right next door "Rastababy" and "Rokery" the last one being highly recommended, all in all was a great stay and would recommend to others

Directions: Opposite the giant multistorey bicycle park ! lol

• kushempeng's Profile Photo

Near Central Station

This was a good hotel. Excellent location on the Nieuwe Zijde. The rooms were clean and has a nice bathroom. But there is a 20 Euro deposit for the TV remote (TV has no buttons). Friendly and helpful staff.

Unique Quality: Directly across from Central Station but not too noisy. Shopping around the corner.

Directions: Nieuwe Zijde

More about Multatuli Hotel

Average hotel, average price

by TripAdvisor Member Sarah_78_8

We stayed at the Hotel Prins Hendrik for 3 nights in June 2005. Our room was clean and spacious, but was an unusual design - stairs to climb as soon as you enter.

Would have appreciated tea and coffee making facilities which is normally standard in hotels.

Location was good, although lots of building work in the immediate vicinity made it quite noisy at times.

Chet Baker Memorial

by yooperprof

Maybe it's just because my name is Chet - and also because I love his melancholy trumpeting and singing - but I couldn't come to Amsterdam without seeing the hotel where Chet Baker's life ended in 1988. He was staying in this rather shabby hotel on the quayside in 1988 when he fell out of his second floor room onto the pavement below.

An autopsy showed both cocaine and heroin in his bloodstream. Chet battled drug use for decades - like many jazz musicians.

The Prins Hendrik Hotel is at 52-57 Prins Hendrikade.

Clean, basic; there are better options

Stayed here mid-Jan, and didn't get time to write a review, so here goes .... When I see the continued rave revues about this place (that I read before booking), I thought I needed to add my 2 cents. This is a depressing place to stay in. Everything about it is drab. From the people to the decor, to the long maze-like corridors that take you to your room. Had a room at back of hotel (view of side street). It was clean and basic (you room key card must be inserted in slot above light switch to turn on electricity in room). Yes, it was noisy, but look where the hotel was situated. So that didn't bother me. The breakfast was substandard, but so be it. What I didn't like was having to prepay all 4 nights on arrival at the hotel. Tacky, tacky, tacky. I thought the folks at the front desk (front booth really) were just unsociable. Some were worse than others. Not a happy place to be. So, overall I found the place basic and clean, but a pretty miserable place to stay in. Wouldn't recommend this.

Ideal spot

We stayed at the Prins Hendrik as a surprise for my husbands birthday. The hotel was great, ideal spot and the staff were very polite. We had a loft apartment which was a nice surprise, it was on 2 levels. It was very clean and serviced everyday.

Nice enough, room for improvement

The hotel was very clean and in an ideal central location. All the staff very friendly - and spoke excellent English! I had a single room, but it had a double bed and was a good size. The evening restaurant and bar were also lovely. However there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, and no security chain/lock on the door, which as a female travelling alone made me feel a bit nervous. It was also incredibly noisy both at night and during the day - I had to use ear plugs to sleep! Breakfast - which was included in the price - was nice enough but a bit limited in choice, there was no yoghurt or fresh fruit for example. Also there was nowhere secure to leave luggage during the day after I checked out, which seems to be a standard facility these days, although there were luggage lockers in Centraal Station just across the road.

I had a pleasant trip but for 110 Euros a night I expected a bit more in terms of amenities.

A Fabulous Place to Enjoy the City!

This was my first trip to Amsterdam, so I have no comparison, but I loved it and will return to stay at this hotel again. I had such a great experience, why even bother to stay anywhere else right! The location was excellent, the staff polite and helpful, the rooms cleaned daily, with 24 hour security, and not to mention the view from our bay window!!! A great place to call home on a vacation/holiday and well worth every euro spent (continental breakfast was included, and the bar did not charge me for the endless glasses of iceI begged for)!!!

Places to Stay in Amsterdam ?

by geri12

We are taking Viking River Cruise in March and would like to add some time to our trip. Can anyone recommend a place to stay near the Central Station that is moderately priced?

Re: Places to Stay in Amsterdam ?

by pieter_jan_v

The Viking River cruise is just North East of the central train station.

There are hotel at the other side of the station at the Prins Hendrikkade like:

Prins Hendrik Hotel
Barbizon hotel good

More at: http://www.channels.nl/prins_hendrikkade.html

You could look for any downtown hotel that suits your moderate price needs. They all have excellent tram connections to the station (~15 minutes or less).

PJ