Dam 9 | (formerly Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky), Amsterdam 1012 JS, The Netherlands

Hotels.com NH Hoteles Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• ter1413's Profile Photo

The Grand Krasnapolsky

Located in the heart of Dam Square, this is the hotel that I have stayed in for my 3 trips to Amsterdam. I really like being in the center of the city and the Kras does not disappoint. I walked everywhere. Literally right around the corner from the Red Light District, great views of the canals, Palace, De Bijenkorf department store, etc. The hotel can arrange day trips for you and it's very safe at night. There are mini markets appr 2 blocks away that you can stock up on items for your room. Restaurants and bars are all around the square. You can even come directly to the back of the hotel by canal(see photo.) When I return, I will return to the Kras for my stay!

Unique Quality: -Great central location.
    -Very good service by the staff.

• american_tourister's Profile Photo

An oldie but goodie

The last time I stayed here was in the 1980s so I am sure that it has changed quite a bit.

Unique Quality: The room had a old bathtub with lions feet on it. It was actually charming. I had a view of an alley and that was not great. The restaurant on the roof had atrium style glass which let you see the sky.

Directions: Dam Square

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

At the Dam square

Krasnapolsky is a 5 star hotel with 468 rooms and a long history.

There's an indoor congres centre and parking gararge; the National monument the Winter Garden and a mooring for boats at the Oudezijds Voorburgwal.

At this location at the Warmoesstraat original the Nieuwe Poolse Koffiehuis was located. As business went bad for the coffee house in 1865 it was bought by Adolph Wilhelm Krasnapolsky who transformed it into a restaurant. Adolph bought some adhecent buildings and added some hotelrooms. The back garden was transformed into the covered Winter Garden.

In 1883 the building was transformed into a 125 room hotel to accommodate the World Fair guests. Krasnapolsky was the first Amsterdam hotel with warm water and a telephone in each room.

After World War II the hotel was extended once more and the address was changed to Dam 9.

Business expanded more with the acquisition of the d'Vijff Vlieghen restaurant and the Doelen, Schiller and Caransa hotels, in 1998 followd by the acquisition of the Golden Tulip-hotelchain.

In 2000 the Krasnapolsky chain was taken over by the Spanish NH Hoteles.

In 2013 the building was sold to an investment group, but NH will still manage the hotel. A 40 MEuro renovation is scheduled.

Directions: Dam square.

• timada's Profile Photo

Pleasant hotel

September 2008 , booked on internet , 120eur /2 pers / one room .
    Breakfast is not included in this price .
    Very good hotel !

• richyoon's Profile Photo

No Frills "Luxury" Hotel in Dam Square

The Hotel has a great location in Dam Square. Also with back alley exits in the back, its convenient to walk to anywhere from this hotel. However, I had read by some reports that this is a five star hotel. That's hard to believe. Its probably a 4 star (in European standards) and 3 star (according US standards). My stay here was fine and uneventful. However, I was not "wowed" by any extent. My room was in an adjoining tower. The one downside was that the hallway to my tower was accessible directly from the street. Although you needed to use your key card to enter the building and to use the elevator, I did feel that security was probably not as good as other hotels where people had to go through the hotel lobby to get to your room.

The room was decent size, and my bed was really two single beds next to each other. The hotel is good for business travelers. Plenty of room and a desk to work from. They had more amenities than usual (toothbrush/toothpaste). I paid 188 Euros/night, which isn't bad for business standards in Amsterdam (many hotels are over 250 Euros/night), but I wouldn't splurge to go to this hotel if I was traveling personally. For dollar for dollar, I would recommend the Rho Hotel clearly over this one, and they are located next to each other.

Directions: In Dam Square

• meganavery's Profile Photo

Very Nice...if you aren't paying

This is a very nice place to stay...very good location. Clean, comfortable, big rooms, chocolate on pillows. The website will tout the breakfast buffet but we didn't take part (due to price). If you aren't paying for the hotel (we were being treated) then I'd say go but if you are digging in your own wallet I'd say skip...you aren't in your hotel room enough to justify the cost.

Please note my estimates on cost below are just that...estimates. As I said we were lucky enough to be treated by our hosts (my boyfriends parents) so I do not know the exact costs.

• heryanta's Profile Photo

If you need to be at the Dam...

Had to find a hotel for my girlfriend's good friend from college and her fiance - and was told that they wanted to be close to the central station and wanted to stay in a good 4 star class hotel.

Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky was the one we ended up with. It is very expensive (weekend will cost you around Euro 300/night) because of their prime location right on Dam square.

Overall a very good hotel: rooms are clean and in good condition, amenities are good and the hotel itself is a beautiful building.

However, I do find it a little bit too busy; I prefer the business travelers crowd who stay in Amsterdam American hotel in Leidseplein to the tourists on vacation who makes up the far majority of the guests of this hotel.

Directions: Right off Dam square (about 5 mins South of Central Station on foot)

• TONY786's Profile Photo

best location NOT a 5 star hotel

As already stated over and over the only reason to stay in this hotel is the central location i stayed in the hilton recntly which is 20 minutes by taxi from dam square and hated paying 30 euros each way in the taxi but the hilton is by far a better hotel and the krasnapolsky knows it can charge whatever just because it is centrally located.
    i booked two rooms which were tiny and ordinary so i fell for the 50 eauro a night upgrade for a suite to find it isnt a suite justa bigger room front facing onto dam sqare yet another rip off ,. do i reccomend the hotel yes but only because it is centrally located.

Unique Quality: breakfast as is well documented on vt is it a huge area and is well presented but very averag the staff are rude and ignore you having to ask over and over for coffee on one occaision i was stopped in the queue at the entrance to be told that my credit was no good and to go to the counter with my credit card as i ahd booked both rooms and had an amex gld there should have ben no problem and i was mbarrassed in front of my guests and vrybody else having brreakfast and the reason was both rooms bills were coming out of my card and we had had 4 meal in our room the previous night,lousey service full of dutch folk having business meetings and wedding receptions at night, def not 5 star

• for special occasions

we stayed here the first time we went to amsterdam,it is ideally placed in the centre of amsterdam in dam square itself, only 5 minutes walk from centraal station.the hotel was fantastic it is very upmarket but we got a great deal on the internet so we pushed the boat-out. i would highly recommend this hotel for couples on romantic weekends.

Directions: dam square

• rcsparty's Profile Photo

Great Location

This hotel is in the perfect location, located on the Dam Square across from the Royal Palace. We got a great deal on the internet, otherwise I'm not sure the hotel is worth the price. The rooms were nice, but we had to park a couple blocks away.

• apartment living

10 days with our own kitchen, what a treat. hit the open market in the morning, fresh seafood for dinner. all you need in the kitchen, laundry, such a different feel then a room. nice big bed and 3 steps up to the living area, all in what appeared to be a very secure building. location, location ... it's all there. we loved it. thanks, jenifer and dave

• Best Hotel

This hotel is the best!!! I stayed in one of the apartments. It was a 2 bedroom and was huge - with a livingroom and kitchen. It was a great place to stay. You didn't feel like you were stuck in a hotel room the whole time - it felt like you actually had an apartment on Dam Square. All the people at the front desk and the restaurants were very nice and very helpful. But the best thing about the hotel was the bar (i know, surprising). The staff is so nice, fun, happy, and so friendly. I felt like a regular after the first time. If you go say hi to Sebastian, Michelle, Chris, and Johanna. They will make you fee welcome everytime.

• arnesk's Profile Photo

The breakfast was fantastic!

You expect a lot from a 5-star hotel, and Krasnapolsky will not let you down.

The rooms and the service was impeccable. It is a place that makes you feel good. And the location is great.

But what really impressed me, was the breakfast. The room is a gigantic and grand, and somewhat reminds you of an old train station at its finest. You could choose between an endless range of food. One guy is standing at the middle of it all, constantly frying pancakes. Another one stands by the champagne, pouring it to anyone that wants.

I had this breakfast a Sunday, but I reckon it will be a great experience any day of the week.

Unique Quality: The best Hotel-breakfast ever!

• william_navigator's Profile Photo

Great Location

This hotel is right on Dam Square and in the thick of the action. Numerous sights, museums and theatres in the historic city centre are all within walking distance. The Anne Frank House is a short walk away as is the main train station. The hotel has 468 rooms, including 1 Tower Suite, 6 Junior Suites and 36 Apartments, a congress center with a capacity up to 2.000 persons, the historical Winter Garden, the monumental Restaurant "Reflet" that dates from 1885 and the Japanese Restaurant "Edo & Kyo".

Unique Quality: We had a great view of Dam Square and the trams going back and forth. Outside awnings were useful to keep out light and noise. (Not that there was much noise at night).

Directions: 7-8 minute walk down the Damrak street from the Central Train Station.

• Sprucebeer's Profile Photo

Luxury Hotel

5-star Luxury hotel right at Dam Square. We did not stay here, but we walked by it everyday.

Prices on the web-site are €179 - €425. I found some rooms from €120 - €305 on bookings.nl

Unique Quality: Right in the middle of everything

Directions: Dam Square

More about NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

Krasnapolsky hotel at night, Dam SquareKrasnapolsky hotel at night, Dam Square

coffee/cake x 4 40 euros at krasnapolsky !coffee/cake x 4 40 euros at krasnapolsky !

Any info on Krasnapolsky Apartments?

by jsshackel

Trying to finalize a first-time trip to Amsterdam for my wife and myself in December '04. Came across Internet info on the apartments at the NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky and it looks to be an incredible price. Mostly great reviews of the hotel itself on www.tripadvisor.com. Anyone have any direct knowledge of what the apartments are like? Main interest in lodging (other than usuals like cleanliness) is safety and security of the place along with what the general area around it is REALLY like for first-time tourists. Thanks in advance if replying!

by pieter_jan_v

Write to martin_nl; he worked at the hotel.

PJ

by ATLC

Not only is the Krasnapolsky one of the foremost hotels in Amsterdam, you're right in the middle too. It's no safer or unsafer than anywhere else in the city center.
Compared to any major city in the world, Amsterdam is compact, small even. It's a 30 minute walk from Leidseplein to Central Station and with that you've just about crossed the city center.

You should address safety issues as you would anywhere else but even in light of recent happenings, The Netherlands still is a safe country. Some might disagree but this is my opinion and I have yet to have reason to change it.
Have fun, don't worry!

Re: Re: Any info on Krasnapolsky Apartments?

by dnwitte

The hotel is across the Dam Square from the Royal Palace and the Nieuwe Kerk, a couple of blocks from the red light district, and steps from the most beautiful streets in the heart of the old center. Be warned, the immediate vicinity is very very busy, with hordes of tourists, activity deep into the night, and lots of traffic. I think for first time vistors to Amsterdam it should feel very safe since virtually everybody there is from somewhere else and the place is lit up like a Christmas tree at all hours---for those of us who live there the area is one to be avoided if you need to be anywhere in a hurry. Beware of pickpockets and remember that junkies are harmless.

by Robin922

Can't speak for the apts., but can tell you I've been on the square several times the past weeks, and felt very safe.

I feel safer there than in Memphis or Nashville! Lots of folks, but far less than you would find in Memphis for "Memphis in May or Elvis holidays"

Comments