NH Schiller Hotel Amsterdam

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

At the Rembrandtplein square

Hotel Schiller has a long history. It is designed in Art-Deco style.
    The location is in the middle of restaurants, bars and nightlife, with the major shopping streets nearby.

Directions: South side of the Rembrandtplein square

• bartmcgee's Profile Photo

No rest for the wicked...

Well we got to this hotel and got our room, the hotel itself is right in the heart of 'party central'

Prices in the restaurant were sky high and if you want room service you have to pay 4 euros more for that too...menu is VERY limited and expect to pay 25 euros for a steak which is ok...but as a chef I know they are making a killing in thier restaurant.

Calling in a bottle of fruity house wine to your room will cost you about 15 euros (with the 4 euro surchage) and the wine would've cost you about 5 euros tops in a store.

Room service staff from the restaurant is very friendly, house keeping is thourough and friendly as well. Tea, coffee and a kettle, tv and phone all all provided...BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT USING THE PHONE, international calls will cost you at least ten euros for about 3 minutes of time, the phone will rack up your costs ten fold even on local calls ina hurry.phone use from hotel=bad.

Theres two sandy blond girls at the front desk who thought they were all that and a bag of chips, real snot bags, but there were some staff there that were nice as well.

the hotel itself is clean, lots to look at in the lobby, but some awful artwork in our room...

Breakfast is sliced meats, bread and scrambled/boiled eggs etc...not impressive for NINETEEN FLIPPIN' euros at all.!!!!!!!!

HERES THE IMPORTANT PART if you get a room here and it is facing REMBRANT square (statue of Rembrant) dont expect to get a good nights sleep AT ALL during the summer months at least (we were in June) The place has a bunch of Dope cafes around it, and Amsterdams top nightclub across the square facing the Schiller plus a bunch of pubs and such...drunks yelling, stag and hen partys all the time screaming, chanting and being stupid all night till 4-5 in the morning mostly all nights of the week, then around six am the cleaning crew cleans the square which is 2 hours of machinery making noise...not too mention theres a 30 foot wide digital TV screening advertising right across the square directly projecting into the Schiller's face...we were on the fith floor and I tell ya it was a nightmare for two weeks!. No fans either, hot humid and hellish. For a modest 'standard double with a view of the square' room it was 120 euro...can you believe we payed extra for a view of the square?!?!?!?!

Also, I might add that we did enjoy the Marachi singers, acordian players and generally street musicians were a nice touch at first...they drove us up the wall after hearing 'La Bamba' Tequila', 'Strangers in the night', 'My way' and 'When the saints come marching in' for the 10,000th time .

This would be a ok place to stay for say...a weekend...just not a long time.

Unique Quality: -no pool
    -great view of square

Directions: Rembrandtplein

• cleg's Profile Photo

Great!

We arrived dinner time and the staff were very helpful, we went straight up to our room on the first floor it was at the back of the hotel, we hoped it would be quieter out there rather than overlooking the square. We chose this hotel mainly because of the location, we stayed on the rembrandtplein before and liked it. The NH Schiller was a great hotel. The room we had was lush, very clean and spacious. The bed and pillows were so comfortable, it was really nice. All the staff I came across were helpful and polite. They had a mini bar in the room, the prices weren't too bad considering that it was a 4 star hotel. It did have a restaurant but we didn't venture in there, looked a bit posh for us, but was probably very nice. The lady at reception helped us get a cheap taxi which was nice of them. I would recommend this hotel to others, i'm glad I picked to go there and we will be going back next year.

Unique Quality: It is based in a good location on rembrandtplein, which is full of bars / restaurants, and is within walking distance to most places. We walked pretty much everywhere from the hotel apart from central station which is a tram ride away.

Directions: Rembrandtplein

• holly39's Profile Photo

comfortable beds, great views

the only complaint I had was the girl at the front desk was not very helpful when we went to get our transportation to the airport. she said they had trouble with that company and would not call for me she gave me the number but i had trouble getting through. so i went back down later on and there was a nice man who booked it for us. god bless him because we were so tired from our long trip. i would recommend this hotel they are in a great location with lots of restraunts and pastrie shops. we stayed on the 5th floor with a view of the rembrandt circle.

Unique Quality: the hotel shiller has a wonderful bar and restraunt. they offer room service, and they had the most comfortable beds. we had a great view of the skyline and could watch airplanes going by. also they had a vending machine right out our room 503 that had heinken for 2 euros my moms favortie thing about the hotel she could get a beer in a vending machine.

Directions: rembrandt square

More about NH Schiller Hotel Amsterdam

Great location and good value

6 of us (3 couples) stayed in the NH Schiller at the end of August 2005. 1 room was superb, 1 great, and 1 ok (on the front so a bit noisy). The hotel's lobby was lovely, the bar was nice, and the staff were great.

The location on the square is fab for seeing the best of Amsterdam whilst not being too close to the dodgy bits! It is next door to a couple of smoking cafes though so you'll either love this or hate it!

Overall I would recommend this hotel for it's great location and value for money.

Stayed here 4 times and will definitely go back

by TripAdvisor Member Robr55

I first found the NH Schiller hotel by searching through TripAdvisor and was very pleased with the find. I have now been back 4 times on business and vacation trips during the last 2 years and have found it to be a reliably good value.

The rooms range from big (even by US standards) to small singles. If you want to avoid noise from the square, get a room on a higher floor or in the rear of the hotel. For business travelers, get a prepaid broadband internet card from the front desk and you'll save quite a bit of money versus signing up online. (and of course, download Skype internet phone software and you'll save a bunch of money on international phone calls!)

The location is great with an excellent variety of restaurants and pubs nearby. One of the best Indonesian restaurants in Amsterdam is practically next door.

Decent, like every other 3- and 4-star hotel

We stayed in 4 different hotels during our trip. They were all about equal quality but each had it's own unique quirks.

Some quirks were more annoying than others, but none ruined our trip or our hotel experience.

The NH Schiller has ideal location for Rembrandt Square: right on it. If Rembrandt square is where you want me be (I don't recommend it). The room was the most spacious of the 4 we stayed in and, like all the others, it perfectly clean and comfortable.

Only drawback: no A/C. We had to ask for a fan. It did the trick. But alas, for some fresh air I left the windows open and returned later to find 20 or 30 bugs (fruitflies?) buzzing about the room. It took me a half hour to chase them all out the window with the fan and the deskmat as a flyswatter.

We didn't open the windows during the day again.

But like I said, other hotels had their own quirks too, so it wasn't really any worse than the others.

I'd also say that this 4-star hotel was not any better than the 3-stars we stayed at. Typical of Amsterdam, the 3- and 4-star difference is non-existent.

Very Accomodating and Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member bluize36

Used trip advisor comments to book this hotel. Had an excellent stay 7-16/21 at this hotel. Location was 10-15 minutes walking time to the Dam Square. The Rembrandtplein can be noisy on the weekend, so ask for a room on a higher floor to the side or rear. The room was clean and quiet and while there was no air conditioning, the hotel willingly provided a fan upon request. Had 1 meal, a dinner in the restaurant Brasserie Schiller and the food was good and the staff pleasant. Would definitely stay there again.

Needs a Good Clean !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ads

We arrived at 2.30pm to be told our rooms were not ready. Not a problem.
First impressions were good, nice reception, friendly staff.
I was amazed at the room they gave us (room 118). It was tiny, smelly and the bathroom had mould on the tiles.
Went to reception and was told they only had one other room available (room 109). Thought this was a bit odd as it was Wednesday and the place was empty.
This was bigger, less smelly and reasonably clean. The furniture was old and dented. The other room in the party was very similar.
The cleaners obviously don't clean under the beds, as there was an inch of dust and dirt.
The whole hotel needs modernising and re-decorating.
We were very disappointed after all the great reviews on this hotel. We thought that maybe we got rubbish rooms because we got a very cheap rate from another company, much cheaper than the hotel.

And yes I got bitten; mosquitos like this hotel. I guess because it’s so hot in there without aircon.

Overall the hotel was ok but I would say its no more than a good 2 star let alone 4 star as some are rating it!.

Lovely, Comfy, Noisy

by TripAdvisor Member mdunn2

My husband and I stayed here for three nights after reading the reviews here and other sites. Used Bookings and received a rate of 373 Euro including taxes.

Easy to get to from the airport and fabulous location within the city. We walked for miles each day and were able to stop off at the hotel to drop things off and refresh without going out of our way.

Great restaurants all around. Recommend the Indonesian one next door and Memories of India down the street.

Staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. Our room was spotless, comfortable and the bathroom was quite large. During the day we loved looking out over the square but at night the noise was quite bothersome even on the fifth floor. We had to use earplugs and Tylenol PM to get any sleep whatsoever. Next time I will definitely ask for a room on the back.

Charming, central hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Lambi

My wife and I stayed here in august 2005. We found this hotel an excellent hotel, with a central location at Rembrandtplein, close to the major canals. Room was big enough for us, and clean. Breakfast was good. The hotel has a distinct old-world charm, while still appearing modern and well-tended. Some street noise from the nearby bars and cafes may be disturbing, but this is Amsterdam !

NH Schiller Hotel/

by TxGuy05

I am making a trip to Amsterdam soon and have booked a room at the NH Schiller Hotel. Being a first time visitor I am not familliar with the city. Can anyone here tell me anything good/bad about the hotel ? It seems to be in a good central location, and has pretty good reviews. Is this location near public transport? If anyone has any recomendations for restaraunts, bars, coffee shops in the area they would be greatly apreciated. Thanks for your help!

RE: NH Schiller Hotel/

by pieter_jan_v

It's indeed at a good central location: the Rembrandtplein.
This year is the Renbrandt remembrance year and the square is part of it.

Restaurants and bars are at all sides and side streets. Check out "Van Dobben" for lunch; great real Dutch snacks.

The Rembrandtplein is a tramstop.

PJ