Quentin Hotel

Official Site Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• Panos1111's Profile Photo

Not so sure

The Quentin Hotel. It is quite central, 2 minutes from Leidseplein, so good for going out and sightseeing. On Leidsekade, overlooks the canal. The staff was probably temporary employees and were generally nice. I went there because it was recommended by Lonely Planet (which I otherwise adore) but was dissapointed. I was given a very small room in the basement. The view was some building site, there were marked from dead mosquitoes on the walls and, worse, the shower was partially blocked so every time I had a shower the carpet outsie the samll bathroom/showeromm flodded for half a meter. I also had the noise of the hotel's washing machine there. Breafast cost 7 euro, cheaper than outside but was no frills and way below average, at least for the hotels I have stayed in, including some youth hostels.
    so teh location and the price (50 euro) were good, but I wouldn't go there again. Who knows, of course, maybe the rooms upstairs are good and have a good view and I was just a bit unlucky.

Unique Quality: Location.
    And it 's still Amsterdam!

Directions: Near Leidseplein. From the airport, take the Connexion (or KLM) bus.

• panasonicyouth's Profile Photo

Worth the price, but noisy!

My girlfriend arrived in Amsterdam on Dec. 28th '06, and stayed in this hotel until Jan 1. The location was great, and despite being in a touristy area, it had all the charm Amsterdam has to offer. The Quentin Hotel was located in the Leidseplein area which is full of restaurants, cheap places to grab a snack, souvenir shops, designer stores, and of course coffee shops. Trams 1,2 and 5 all stop by the square which is just around the corner from the hotel. Also, the hotel is within walking distance to Vondelpark and the Museumplein. The Canal Bus boat stop for Leidseplein is located right in front of the hotel, and is convenient if you wanted to take a canal bus tour. The staff was both friendly and helpful. There were a few things I wasn't exactly thrilled about during our stay here though. The rate I was going to be charged was about 60 euros more than my confirmation stated, so make sure to bring a copy of your confirmation with you! Also, the hotel charges an extra 5% when paying by credit card, which I was not aware of until I was at the hotel, ready to pay. For some reason, I was under the impression that breakfast was included, which it wasn't. It was an extra 7 euros per person, and was not worth it at all. It literally consisted of your choice of beverage, some cereal, and meat/cheese. The greatest inconvenience we had while staying here was our room. Room 21 is located right next to the elevator/snack machine so we heard every single person who came into the hotel, and the cleaning crew in the early morning. Needless to say, we didn't get a good night's sleep any night we were there. I would definitely stay in this hotel again, but I'd pay in cash and ask for another room besides 21.

Unique Quality: The hotel was much cheaper than many others in this area, and had a great location.

Directions: take tram 1,2 or 5 from Central station. Walk straight towards the large fountain at the American Hotel, and make a left.

• scbelle's Profile Photo

BEST Location!

I would definitely reccomend this hotel. I don't know about the other Quentin properties in Amsterdam, but this one was fantastic. The ceilings are high--ours had this cool plaster medallion; the windows are large; the bathrooms are nice. Our bathroom was en suite, and our room was certainly sufficient. My only warning is beware of the front steps if you've had a bit too much after a night out! Luckily, once inside there is an elevator. I found the staff ultra friendly. So you know with the pricing, we were three girls to one room.

Unique Quality: This hotel is right off of the Leidseplein--you literally turn a corner, walk a few steps down the canal, and there it is. Because its "just off," when inside, you forget there's a raging party block just around the block, as the view from your windows is of a peaceful canal.

Directions: Leidseplein

More about Quentin Hotel

Nice Stay down the canal

by kloot about Quentin Hotel

Quentin hotel is a nice place to stay, near the park and the town center. Cheap but good with young and polite personnel. Quiet and clean. Helpful and handsome staff. Near the center.

Three Days in Amsterdam

by Aussieanne

"Our first morning"

After our first trip an 2002 I didn't think I would return, however this time as we chose to travel KLM we needed to enter and depart Europe via Amsterdam. I was quite excited at the prospect and was not disappointed. All bookings were done via the internet and we chose the Quentin Group of Hotels which was basic but comfortable. It was within walking distance of everything. We arrived at 5am, caught the train from airport to city with no fuss then a taxi to the hotel. We couldn't book in till 2.00pm, so left our luggage and off we went. It was still early so all we could do at this stage was check opening times most of which were 10.00am so headed off to the City. We just walked and walked looking at all the quaint buildings which tilted every which way, ones with tiny door, up this sreet down that one. We saw heaps but as the language was hard to understand it was difficult to know exactly what we were looking at. The people however were really really nice and most understood English so no problems there. We ducked into a cafe run by a very camp guy, but the coffee and sandwich were delightful - it was very retro, and the only downside was that smoking was still allowed everywhere (very different in Australia). Soon it started to rain and people crammed in out of the weather so much so we were forced out by the smoke. The only downside of Amsterdam.

"The canal cruise"

It was still early, but we came across a Canal Cruise about to depart so on we hopped. I had forgotten to say that the day was absolutely freezing - having come from Australia and an early start to our summer we headed to Europe via Singapore where it was hot and humid and landed in Amsterdam on a day where it didn't rise above 8C. We were frozen so it was great to get into the canal boat and just glide along the water listening to some very interesting stories. Like why the building are so thin - built that way because taxes were very high and on the width of the property so the people decided to build very skinny but deep houses and also some up to 5 storeys high. Also on the top of many was a gantry hook and we learned this was to attach a chain to and hoist the furniture into the building as the stairs are extremely steep and narrow. We went up and down many canals and out into the harbour. I strongly recommend a canal cruise, it is relaxing and very informative. It was now mid-day so decided to head back toward the hotel, so just wandered up and down whereever it took our fancy. We found the best pastry shop so stopped for a bite & a cuppa then off. Collected further supplies along the way, found the best cheese shop - so much in there we couldn't choose and the finally back to the Hotel. We were then able to check in thankfully. Unfortunately I had not booked a room with an ensuite, but although very small it was clean & comfortable. Unpacked then headed out again, this time to the Heineken Brewery. This is so worth a visit. Very interesting to learn the history of the Company, it is done in an extremly interactive way and along the way you are treated to samples of the beer (other drinks available). From there to the Rijksmuseum where they had a display of Rembrants painting and other interesting information. It was now 5.00 and we had been on the go for 12 hours so found somewhere for tea and back to the hotel. At this time of the year there is not much daylight - it probably didn't get really light till well after 8.00am and it was dark by 5.00pm - and that was very early in the winter!

"Anne Frank House and beyond"

Do not miss a visit to Anne Frank House - this is truly a moving experience. I had read the book when it was first plublished, but to actually be inside this place where these families took refuge during that horrific time was beyond belief.
We spent over an hour there going through each room and listening to the accounts and reading the stories on the walls. Naturally I bought an updated version of the book and read it within days.
From there we headed over to the centre of the city and looked at the Royal Palace and the New Church right next door and wandered around Dam Plaza. Onto the Old Church and here we were able to look inside - this one dates from around 1200 or so and is still used on Sundays - very plain and austere. Off in the other direction we happened across part of the Red Light District (told not to miss this "interesting" area by our daughter!) From there to the harbour and found ourselves in some very seedy, but none the less interesting areas.

"Wandering around the City"

After the City Centre we just wandered where our feet would take us and found the Waterlooplein where there was a street market and also the most fantastic photo display of Earth from the Air. Then to Rembrandtplein where there is a huge statue of him and a heap of charachters in the square itself. We found we were retracing our steps a lot of the time so this city isn't that big. Back to Leidersplein (at the end of our hotel's street) where there are lots of great shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. After a rest of our weary feet back at the Quentin we returned to Leidersplein for a look under the Christmas lights at night - the only thing missing was snow (which incidentally we saw none of during our 8 weeks in Europe!) After our first trip in 2002 where we weren't that impressed, this was a really lovely couple of days in a vibrant city full of a lot of very nice people. It is very easy to navigate and we didn't get lost once!

"The Quentin Hotel"

I did all my bookings on the net and chose the Quentin Hotel Group....Quentin Leideskade.... From the net it looked and sounded really nice, but then again are they going to say any different, otherwise people would never stay! The only thing I would say is that it should be under the heading of Hostel rather than Hotel - it is probably a 3 Star establishment, but it is clean and comfortable. Our room was on the ground floor without an ensuite - I would have liked to see the double room with ensuite that I thought I had booked and my thoughts may have been a little different. However having said all that, it is in a good place, not far from everything and anything. We saw all that we had planned on seeing and did it all on foot. The staff for the main part were friendly and obliging and as I said it was clean and quite comfortable and at a good price. I would recommend if you are happy staying on hostel type accommodation, which we are being Youth Hostel members.

The Quentin Hotel

by beamer4fun

Has anyone stayed at the hotel quentin? Thanks in advance for any information. :)

Re: Re: The Quentin Hotel

by garridogal

I've stayed at The Quentin England. I would recommend against it if you're traveling alone and book a single room. Although clean, they are miniscule and have no windows. Just a skylight which you need to open w/a pole. I couldn't sleep there. The other rooms seemed fine when I walked by them and the cleaning staff was there. Breakfast left a bit to be desired and I spotted a mousetrap in the eating area.

If you're looking for a nice reasonably priced hotel, try The Hotel Roemer Visscher on the Roemer Visscherstraat. It's near Vondel Park and The Leidsesplein.

Comments