Rho Hotel Amsterdam

RHO Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• What a fantastic hotel

I visited Amsterdam with my husband and parents, and we stayed at the Rho Hotel. The staff were wonderful, the rooms were clean, large and very comfortable, the breakfast was excellent. Just off Dam Square, so very central for reaching the central sites.
    A very enjoyable stay.

Unique Quality: I must say again ..... the staff at the hotel were excellent and couldn't do enough to ensure our comfort. Thank you for a wonderful holiday.

Directions: Central. Only minutes to walk to most central sites.

• jaybob71's Profile Photo

good hotel for price and location

This Hotel may not be the plushist but for around €80 its a great hotel for location.

Its on a little street called Nes which is right on Dam square meaning your right in the centre of the city.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with this hotel, It used to be an old theatre so you can see the caracture inside. The rooms are comfortable and have the basic's.

Breakfast is continental and reasonable. As I say for the price & location you could'nt get a better hotel in the city.

This is the place I always recommend to collegues if they come over to NL. I have also stayed here myself before living here.

Unique Quality: Location, Location , Location!!!!!

Directions: Could'nt be more central

• SueWarwick's Profile Photo

Second visit to RHO Hotel

The 3 star RHO hotel is just off one corner of the square on Nes. At one point, the building used by an old Amsterdam gold trading company and what is now the lobby and reception were once a theatre, built in 1908 in Art-Deco style. The balcony on the first floor offers a great view over the lobby.

The room itself was a reasonable size but rather dark.
    The bathroom came with some sachets of shampoo and shower gel. I stayed here about seven years ago and the rooms are starting to look a little tired. My room was backing on to the lift shaft and it did get a bit annoying especially at night. In general, the soundproofing in the room wasn’t that great.
    The room came with free Wi-Fi access and a safe. There were no tea/coffee making facilities but there was an empty fridge for your own drinks Apparently you could ask for hot drinks at reception. There are also vending machines in the lobby area.

Unique Quality: There was a reasonable choice at breakfast the next morning; salmon, cheese, cereal, tinned fruit, yoghurt, bacon, scrambled eggs, tea, coffee and orange juice.

On check out, bags can be left at the hotel in a locked room. This was a lot better than many hotels I've stayed at were bags a just left in a corner of reception.

Directions: Off one corner of Dam square, short walk from Centraal station

• richyoon's Profile Photo

Location, Location, Location

I picked the Rho Hotel based on an recommendation in WikiTravel. The Hotel seemed reasonably priced with respect to other hotels in its class, but definitely the draw was the central location of the hotel, and the relative distance to the Amsterdam Centraal Train Station. I simply wanted a clean room and decent room rates where I could walk in and out from the Train Station.

However, I didn't know how great the location was until I stayed there. It seemed like all my activities were within a short walking distance from my hotel. Therefore, if I needed to take a bathroom break, or pick up my umbrella, or drop off my jacket, or even take a short nap, my room was always handy and nearby. Moreover, the tour company that I loved in Amsterdam... the New Amsterdam Free Tour... met almost in front of my hotel (i.e. in front of the tall monument in Dam Square, which is pretty much in front of the Rho Hotel). In addition, the surrounding area is full of shopping, restaurants, bars, and coffeeshops. The Red light district is also 5-10 minutes away by feet. The Tram stop is also nearby which you will be using quite often within Amsterdam to get to museums and other locations around the periphery of Amsterdam. And lastly, there's an ATM located right next to the RHO Hotel.

I found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. My room faced an inside courtyard, so there's no view of the city from my room, and I would need to draw my shades to maintain privacy. But I really appreciated the fact the room had a closet, refrigerator, and a safe. For one person, the room was plenty big for me, especially because I didn't come to Amsterdam to spend all my time in my room.

The breakfast was fine, although the same thing was served each morning. Breakfast is served buffet style. Basically choice of toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, rice, and orange juice.

Unique Quality: The outstanding characteristics of the Rho Hotel is its grand lobby area, and the central location of the hotel.

The Hotel also has one computer terminal in the lobby where guests can access the Internet. I found this to be quite convenient. However, if you have your own computer, the Lobby has WiFi access.

The only downside of the hotel was the price of the hotel keeps the average age of the guests in their 30s and older. Not really a fun place where you meet all sorts of great travellers. I don't think any of the other guest of the hotel even said hello to me. Where at other accomodations, you may find it easy to strike up conversations with other travellers around. Funny, I think the fun "traveling" aspect of an accomodation is sometimes inversely related to its price.

• johnx14's Profile Photo

great location for red light and smoking

my stay was ok. the Rho is fine if u havent been in other hotels, its a good base and has the very basics, ensuite, tv (with only 3 english channels) bed and chairs. if you have stayed in other 3 star hotels, you'll think this two star. there is no tea or coffee making set in the room, the tv choice for english speaking persons are poor, just 3 channels. so when u flop into your room after a long day out walking, these small touches, which we take for granted , are noticably missing, to help you relax.

Unique Quality: good central location. close too red light and coffe shops. 15min walk from central train station.

Directions: corner of dam square

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Just off the Dam Square

After a lot of clicking around on the internet I have come to the conclusion that hotel rooms in Amsterdam are more expensive than in most other cities. For a small single room under the roof with its own toilet and shower here at the Rho Hotel I paid 99 Euros per night, which is nearly twice as much as I paid for a similar room in Paris a few weeks later.

The hotel was okay, though. Breakfast was included, and the location is very central.

They say the building was once used by an Amsterdam gold trading company. The reception and lobby were originally a theater, built in 1908 in Art-Deco style.

Second photo: Entrance to the Rho Hotel.

Directions: From Amsterdam Central Station, walk along Damrak street to Dam square, or take a tram from the station (lines 4, 9, 16, 24 or 25) and get off at the first stop.

• cnorwood's Profile Photo

Like the Tardis

Walking up to the outside of the hotel you would expect probably 50 rooms maximum. Step inside and you are confronted with one of the most elaborate lobbys I have ever seen, well in a 3 star anyway!

The rooms were adequately sized all with an en-suite and were clean. Only problem we encountered was that they were a little warm as there was no air conditioning and you couldn't open the windows as it was quite noisy outside.

We didn't take up the breakfast option so cannot comment on that, but the rooms were cleaned every day and fresh towels put in the rooms. The desk service was excellent, both with speaking English and being able to answer all our questions and advise.

The hotel also allowed smoking, of various substances, in the rooms.

The location is fantastic, right on Dam Square so all the bars are within 2 minutes walk and so is most other things.

Unique Quality: The elaborate lobby, the piano in the bar area were great. Breakfast is included in the price. It is cheapest to book direct using the website.

Directions: The hotel is right in the centre of Amsterdam, on Dam Square. It is in wasy walking distance of most attractions and amenities.

• SueWarwick's Profile Photo

First visit to RHO hotel

This hotel is in the perfect spot. Within spitting distance of Dam Square but still quiet enough in the evenings. Even during the large fair which was taking place during my visit
    Also handy for the train station. As I did the trip independently this was good news!

I cant remember the exact price, but it was reasonable for bed & buffet breakfast which was the usual, bacon, scrambled eggs, bread, cereal etc
    Rooms comfy enough and the lobby is impressive as the hotel is a converted theatre

More about RHO Hotel Amsterdam

Rho Hotel

by prevlou

Hey there just wondering has any one heard any comments on a hotel called The Rho Hotel any comments gratefully accepted.

by LolaSanFrancisco

Yes, I sent very close friends there and they liked it. It was small and cute and central.

by takk

hi!
i've been in the Rho Hotel last November.it's comfortable and it's in a very good positon really close to Dam Square that's the centre of the city and not far by feet from the station.
bye

by PEDROFERN

I stayed there and had a great time. Good value. No need to spend more for a good night sleep in Amsterdam.

Comments