Sofitel Amsterdam

Booking.com Hotels.com MGallery

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Phildagr8's Profile Photo

A great downtown Hotel

This place was great, and the hotel is walking distance from everything. The staff is friendly, and it's not too expensive... well, maybe a little expensive, but it wasn't bad for a weekend.

There's also a bar inside the hotel where I ate and drank. A good place to get dinner if you prefer to 'charge it to your room'.

Unique Quality: IT's right on a main street, too, where public transportation is easy to catch! Make sure you have change for the bus, so ask the hotel and they'll be happy to help!

They may be able to provide you with a map of the city to help your walking tour, too! They do have a tour that leaves from the hotel, so if you go, please be sure to ask!

• toontraveller's Profile Photo

First Impressions

My first stay in Amsterdam was at the Sofitel. It's a good clean hotel of high quality expected from this group. Very central and easy to get to from the central station or by bus, tram and taxi.

The hotel occasionally offers a free night if you stay for so many nights which brings the rate down but you get more or less what you pay for. The reception is 24 hours so you can come and go as you please, very handy in this city that doesn't sleep...almost.

I would stay there again but there are cheaper options if all you want like me is a bed for the night.

Directions: Central

• tattud_gurl's Profile Photo

Great location...that's about it.

The Amsterdam Sofitel is in a great location, right behind the Damrak and all the noise that accompanies it. Just a short walk from Centraal Station it's a great location....that's about it.
    I had a rate of 179.00Euro ($220.0USD!) for 1night, including breakfast. Because I’m familiar with Sofitel, I assumed I was staying at a 4 star property. Not at all what I expected.
    My room was very small and badly needed a makeover. But then again, you don’t go to Amsterdam to stay in your room. I’ve read in other reviews that it’s a little noisy due to the traffic on that street, but our room faced a courtyard, so it was VERY quiet except for the maids slamming all the doors on my floor.
    The thing I found slightly odd was there were no washcloths in the bathroom. Only towels….strange.
    We had a cocktail in the lounge and encountered THE rudest bartender in the world. Didn’t catch his name, but he was an East Indian fellow. When we sat down, there was no one else in the bar. He walked right by us and started clearing off another table. No, “Hi” or “I’ll be right with you”, he just walked by and ignored us. We were in a great mood, so we just sat and waited.
    When he finally came to our table, we ordered our drinks and waited…and waited. (good mood) After we got our drinks, he never asked us if we needed anything else or even stopped by to ask if we wanted another, later.
    This is a good hotel for the location…it’s literally a 2 minute walk to Dam Square and not far to the Anne Frank house. It’s not as noisy as the hotels on the Dam and the tram stops right in front of the hotel, to go to the train station or into the city. There are several restaurants within a 5 minute radius, a small grocery store across the street and 2 souvenir shops where the merchandise is less expensive.
    I stay in Sofitels all over the place, and this wasn’t the quality and service I’ve come to expect.
    I would probably give it another try when I return to Amsterdam. I REALLY like the location.

Unique Quality: Location

Directions: around the corner from Damrak

• londonbabe's Profile Photo

Great staff lovely room

I booked a good rate (140e a night) on expedia for a double room. When we found we'd been allocated a twin, and complained, the reception guy upgraded us :-))). We got a lovely room with king bed, orchids and monsoon shwer. It was right on the main road, overlooking the tram top, so if you normally live somewhere quiet, ask fo a room at the back. We had no problem with the noise as we live in central London, and the clang of the tram bell was a lovely reminder that we were NOT in central London.

There's a large, well maintained sauna, plus a couple of token exercise machines.

Breakfast was fresh and ample, served by friendly staff. Don't have the small sausages though - they taste like the ones you get in tins of baked beans.

Unique Quality: There's an amazing bar done up like the Orient Express. We didn't drink there though, as there are so many lovely cheaper places all around.

It's really central - 5 minutes from Centraal Station, and next to the beautiful Western Canal belt. And, if you're into that, the Grasshopper coffee shop is 20m away.

Directions: By Foot:

From Central Station take the main exit to city centre (Centrum) Cross the road at the traffic lights, turn right immediately. Take the second turning on the left (Martelaarsgracht) Keep left. After 50 metres you will see the Sofitel Amsterdam.

More about Sofitel Amsterdam

I Loved Loved Loved this Hotel!!! :)

by TripAdvisor Member stardancer

All your reviews helped me turn down the Lloyd & be happy I couldn't get the Krasnapolsky (for my tastes, terrible environs both) & look forward to Sofitel Amsterdam (I didn't book this hotel myself), where I spent 5 nights: July 11-15, 2006. Despite some miscommunications in obtaining replies via email re reservation confirmations & other questions, which were ultimately solved by their toll-free telephone customer relations staff ,and getting trapped in the tiny elevator the very first afternoon I was there ("despite" being really something, considering how terrified I was because I am claustrophobic!), the hotel surpassed even your generous reviews! The Sofitel Amsterdam was very convenient to most of the tram lines (within a few blocks walk to all) & an easy 10-minute walk from the Centraal Station, the GVB & VVV offices, on a very quiet, though not deserted street, 2 blocks from my very favorite Amsterdam neighborhood, the Jordaan, where I walked nightly, a woman alone, late at night, completely without fear!

The Sofitel Amsterdam was also the definiton of luxury:
Pictures, while lovely, do not do this place justice! While simple (my personal style preference to overdone ornate ostentation), this hotel exudes understated elegance: On the 3rd floor non-smoking floor, facing a very quiet back alley, but facing a brick wall which opened just in front of my window to part of a rooftop, allowing me alone a bit of morning sun, my room was ideal:
from the dreamy king size bed, with its silky sheets & down pillows,-- like sleeping on a cloud!....to the generous lighting & storage facilities...to the spotless bathroom, with hairdryer, soaps & shampoos, luscious towels, terry robe & slippers for my use......to the phone message system hooked into the TV (which provided free TV in 8 languages-- good for me to practice my growing Dutch vocabulary!)..........to the hot water boiler & instant teas/coffee provided free to those of us in need of caffeine immediately on waking.....to the thoughtful card left on my pillow each night providing me with the next day's weather forecast! (very very useful).........

The breakfast buffet, which I thought would be wasted on a small eater like me, was presented in a simple but bright room filled with prints of paintings by Gustav Klimt (one of my favorite artists), the tables dressed in simple but fine linen & china. The self-service buffet amazed me with its variety, anticipating every possible taste, & the pleasant staff acccommodated all requests instantly....including endless personal pots of coffee, cappucino, etc.......the fresh kiwi juice was a daily extravagance! :) :)

The hotel service also was excellent...........
When my room was not ready upon my arrival, the concierge arranged for the porter to store my luggage until it was; a safety deposit box was available without charge; one night a very nice concierge checked the kitchen closing time (unfortunately, it took me a while to get used to the early restaurant closing times in Amsterdam) of a nearby cafe; on my last morning, my request for an early morning wakeup call, usually automated, was backed up by a personal call by that morning's concierge, concerned that I not miss my early plane.

The Brazilian lady who ran the breakfast room, was warm sunshine (!)- whose smile & friendliness (as some of the other staff) I looked forward to every morning! What an angel! :)

And even some of the concierges, at first a bit formal for my simple American, New York bohemian artist tastes, eventually warmed up..........I was particularly delighted when, upon my departure, the extremely formal concierge who greeted me so formally on my arrival just days before, broke into the brightest of smiles when I told him that the Sofitel Amsterdam is the best hotel I have ever stayed at! :) (I admit that getting this hotel/breakfast as part of a trip that I won may have colored my views-- but I doubt it! I had always thought that the vacation destination mattered more than the hotel, but I am now spoiled forever!)

Exceeded our expectations

by TripAdvisor Member Goagirl

Having been highly impressed with the New York Sofitel, I decided to book the same brand in Amsterdam as a birthday treat for my husband.I was not disappointed.
I booked through the Sofitel website, and was pleased with the deal at 119 euros for one night in a standard room. I mentioned when booking that it was a birthday suprise for my husband. We went to the hotel from the airport at 11am not expecting to be able to check in, but hoping to leave our bags. We were able to check in though, and a delightful, friendly male receptionist wished my husband a happy birthday and upgraded us to one of the suites.He gave us a map and lots of local info and could not have been more heplful.
Our room was fantastic, huge, with a seperate sitting area and a massive bed, everything was of the highest qulaity and spotless. I could not fault it. When we went out in the afternoon, we returned to find a birthday card and chocolates from the hotel, a lovely touch.
We also had a free drink from the hotel and spent a very pleasant couple of hours in the cosy bar area. The barman makes a wicked Margarita!
I cannot recommend the hotel highly enough, it's location is also great.I would certainly use it again.

Great room and location!

by TripAdvisor Member kljp1

I booked a web deal one month in advance for my husbands 40th birthday and paid a bit more for an 'executive' room.

We were not disappointed - the room was excellent overlooking the front street but no noise at all. Fantastic bed! High ceilings and good decor. Everything was really clean. Cannot fault anything with the room.

Staff were really friendly and we had complimentary cocktails in the bar.

Only niggle would be the breakfast which was a bit disappointing - the choice was quite limited as when something ran out they took ages to serve more. I had read this on other reviews but decided to go for it as its more convenient than going down the road somewhere else at that time of the morning! If we go back to the hotel we would probably skip breakfast and just go room only.

Very good value

Good hotel for the value. We pay 149 euros per day without breakfast unfortunately, but.... The rooms are nice decorated with the most WONDERFUL BED EXPERIENCE that I have never had.

The lobby not so nice, but ok. In centre of town, just 5 minutes walk from central station.

Great hotel with a superb location

by TripAdvisor Member Sthlm

Great hotel with a superb location in the heart of Amsterdam within easy reach of basically all sights (walking distance to most sights, moreover there's a tram stop near the hotel and the central station is a short walk away). Booking well in advance should get you a good rate for the room. Rooms are nicely decorated, reasonably spacious and clean. In the rooms facing the street one may be a bit disturbed by the noise, so if that matters for you, try to get a room facing the back yard. Breakfast is nice, but in my opinion a bit overpriced (at 22 EUR per person per breakfast); however sometimes you might be able to find good deals including breakfast. If not, there are plenty of cafes offering breakfast at competitive rates in the area, which should suit all tastes. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. In short - a perfect hotel for your stay in Amsterdam!

Excellent choice

The location of this hotel is excellent - a short walking distance from the rail station and all the main sites. It's a stone's throw from Damrak, but sufficiently far away to ensure that there is no noise pollution.

We booked a "hot deal" on the ACCOR website of 129 euros for a twin room without breakfast, and were very happy with our choice. We felt that breakfast was overpriced at 20 euros per person, and decided to look outside the hotel. As it happens there's a little grocery shop just opposite, which makes the most delicious fresh sandwiches at a fraction of the cost, and also sells fruit, drinks and cakes.

Check-in was fast and efficient, and the staff were very friendly.

Our room was nicely furnished and comfortable, with a small sitting area and tea/coffee making facilities. It was at the back of the hotel, with no view to speak of, and was extremely quiet. The bathroom was small but clean, with lots of towels and Roger & Gallet toiletries.

The hotel bar is decorated in warm red tones and has a cosy feel. I was surprised that we were the only people there - perhaps Friday nights (after 11 PM) aren't popular with drinkers.

All in all, we were very pleased with our choice and will certainly be staying at this hotel again.

I amsterdam Card

by carlos501b

Hi Guys,
My wife and myself will be in Amsterdam in late August, 2006. We would like to visit most of the musuems, travel around Amsterdam a lot, take canal trips,
ride the buses, trams, underground and obviously also eat out all the time.
We are staying at the Sofitel, Amsterdam. Now my question.
Do you think it would be a good idea to buy the I amsterdam Pass on arrival ??? We are in Amsterdam for 5 nights. Soooo, we could buy a 72 hour pass each, to start with ???
Any/all views welcomed with thanks and appreciation.
Carlos.

RE: I amsterdam Card

by MBDVB

The card will be an excellent purchase. It will allow you to get into the museums without waiting in lines, ride the trams, canal cruises, etc.
Have a great trip!