Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 EX, The Netherlands

Expedia.com Sofitel Travelocity

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Posh at the RLD

The Sofitel Grand Hotel Amsterdam is housed in a historic building from 1578. It's not the most logical place to find a five star hotel, but the transformation from the historic buildings into the hotel sure worked out great.

THe hotel has e 177 rooms including 52 suites, named after famous people who stayed here through the centuries.

Directions: Red Light District

• lysergius's Profile Photo

Sofitel luxury

Centrally located luxury hotel. Service and amenities what you would expect from this Accor hotel. The bar is well worth a visit. Recently re-branded as part of the Pullman - Sofitel group

Unique Quality: Located within walking distance of the central Station and the Dam Square.

• Europe's coldest hotel pool

Booked in for a 3 night stay for my birthday. Pushed the budget specifically to get a hotel with gym & pool, which is quite rare in amsterdam.

Unique Quality: Uniquely cold pool. On complaining to hotel staff, told it had to be that cold to ,kill all the bacteria', nice!

• marketerry's Profile Photo

Really Grand

This hotel was one of the best I have ever stayed in, with an enormous room and bathroom. Breakfast was included in our deal, which was served in the Cafe Roux restaurant.

A fully equipped Gym and Swimming pool were also at our disposal.

The hotel is situated less than two minutes walk from Dam Square.

Unique Quality: A beautiful hotel, which actually served as the Town Hall and held the Wedding Reception of the current Queen Beatrix.

Directions: From Dam Square, walk along Damstraat, cross over the canal and turn immediate right. Walk along canal for 50m. The hotel will be on your left.

More about Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam

Very nice atmosphere

I enjoyed my stay very much in the Grand Amsterdam. It is located in a central, but quiet quarter.
The rooms are small, a bit old, but nice though. Unfortunately you can not open the windows completely and they could be oiled again. The welness area is nice but not good enough for a real 5 star hotel. the bereakfast was excellent in a very nice room, as well as the whole hotel has a very familliar, but international atmosphere. when I would come back to Amsterdam, I would recommend this hotel, but probably test out another 5 star hotel.

We keep coming back....

by TripAdvisor Member richardsonsnm

My wife and I flew in and out of Amsterdam on our first trip to Europe in '99, we stayed at Hotel L' Europe. But after traveling around Europe for a couple of weeks, we decided to come back to Amsterdam early, and the L' Europe was booked, we hit the internet and found the Grand. After a dozen visits, we can't wait to get back. The location is excellent for walking, lot's going on, but the hotel is a nice refuge from the city, sort of feels like home. The bedding is the best, duvets and great pillows, and the pool area, sauna, turkish bath are hardly ever used, in all my visits i have rarely seen anybody else. I agree the toiletries are the best, i admit to having a bathroom of them at home that i use between visits. I agree that the furniture could use a upgrading, but I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Incredible

by TripAdvisor Member JetsetTX

I just read a terrible review of this hotel and quite honestly believe that person must ahve stayed at another Grand Hotel Sofitel Demeure. I stayed here in January and can not say enough about it. It is most definitely a five star hotel with five star service and ammenities. Beautiful good sized room, nice canal view. Excellent and very attentive service. Great location! You just can't satisfy some people but I was certainly more than satisfied and would definitely recommend the hotel and stay there again.

Fantastic hotel - 5 star deluxe, but not snooty!

by TripAdvisor Member dunno

Probably our fifth stay at this hotel and still rate it as excellent. Staff are very helpful and friendly.

Bedrooms are great and toiletries good quality. Room will be serviced more than once if you put out the 'service my room' card.

Breakfast is better than it used to be - but still not as extensive as other comparable hotels. Bit of a faux pas from one of the waiting staff - laid table without changing the dirty cloth - no doubt if we had complained it would have been changed, but really it shouldn't have happened.

Location excellent - 20 minutes walk from Centraal Station.

Oriental City restaurant two minutes away - try the Indonesian Rice Table.

Red Light district 3 minutes away.

Dam square 3 minutes away.

Try Louis Bar Cafe de Dam on way to Dam Square - Louis is great.

Highly recommended. We will be going back!

Go there, it really lives up to its name

My husband and I stayed at the Grand for my birthday in January. They made an excellent first impression by upgrading us to a superior room overlooking the internal courtyard (my husband had e-mailed beforehand to ask if they would allocate us a quiet room with a pleasant view). Service from all staff members was excellent, the room was huge, comfortable and well appointed, and the location was very good. The spa and pool was quiet and pleasant, but beware the jacuzzi - it isn't hot!

We enjoyed the buffet breakfast, and treated ourselves to a meal at the restaurant. This was one of the best all-round dining experiences I've had - the restaurant isn't formal, but the food was as excellent as the service, and extremely reasonably priced (from the set menu). If you enjoy wine and can afford the Sommelier Pairing (about €27 per person), go for it!

The Grand lives up to its name! Go there (but do look for internet deals to get the best rates - B&B if possible - you really don't want to pay the rack rate!).

Very Beautiful and Gracious Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Travellover53

My husband and I spent four nights at the Sofitel Demuere earlier this month and were extremely comfortable. The staff is professional but warm and gracious, eager to help in any way, from the front desk, the concierge the bellmen and the housekeepers! I recommend that you try to get a rate that includes the breakfast buffet because it is quite expensive (about $26 euros per person) but this is typical in similar European hotels. Nonetheless, the buffet is plentiful with delicious and fresh offerings that include smoked salmon, several cheeses, fruit, pastries, croissants, eggs, ham etc. The very quiet location is ideally centrally located, on a pleasant canal, just a couple blocks from Dam Square and the red light district. We generally walked across Dam Square to Leidesplein or to restaurants along the canals to eat dinner because we like to get out at night. I did hear, however, that the hotel restaurant was quite good for dinner, albeit expensive. Our superior room was spacious, nicely furnished in an older, elegant way and the bathroom was beautiful, with Roger Galet toiletries. We enjoyed the pool, steam room, sauna one evening after a lot of sightseeing. The adjoining showers were comfortable as well. I can't think of anything to improve and would return to this hotel again without a second thought.

best hotel in asterdam

by TripAdvisor Member CMSK

Just came back from a week long visit. This hotel is the best in Amsterdam for location, history, elegance, and service. Ideally located in the center of town, it is walking distance from everything. The hotel exhudes old world elegance, and has a rich history. The service was fantastic. Negatives were the fitness center which is a joke, and the size of the regular rooms. I upgraded to a mini-suite and it was worth it.

Amsterdam Hotel

by catsmom

I have been checking into nice hotels in Amsterdam. There are 4 of us traveling (2 adults and 2 teenagers). I have narrowed it down to either the Park Plaza Victoria or the Sofitel Grand Amsterdam. I would like one close to Dam Square in the middle of the tourist attractions. Does anyone know how these hotels are? Are there any other nice hotels at Dam Square?

by zuriga

A handy website for checking hotel reviews is www.traveladvisor.com.

by Katy74

Hi there,

I would really recommended the Lloyd Hotel as an interesting and cool place to stay (but not too crazy). It's not in the centre (this isn't very responsive to your question is it!) but only a short tram ride away. It's just very unusual and unique - perhaps more memorable than the sofitel.

Wherever you stay you will have a fabulous time!

www.lloydhotel.com

by pieter_jan_v

PJ

by ATLC

I am rather taken by www.hotels.nl/amsterdam.
Very clear website and good reviewing system.

Hotel Krasnapolsky is right on the Dam and one of the most famous (and luxurious) hotels in town.

by catsmom

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions and information.

by QuDee

The city of Amsterdam is not very big - most of the attractions are within a couple of square miles. So no matter were you are, you're not far from anything. I reccomend you rent bicycles - it is the way to travel in Amsterdam, and will reduce distances to half the time. :)

I just came back from Amsterdam 3 days ago - we stayed at hotel Dikker & Thijs Fenice near Leidseplein. It's a smaller square, all walkingstreets around it (watch out for the trams), packed with restaurants and cafées. It's just a 5 minute walk to the Rijksmuseum and the art museums Van Gogh and Stedelijk. It's no more that a 10 minute walk to the Dam, and about 15 minutes walk to the Red Light District to the east of Dam, or Jordaan (Anne Franks house) to the west of the Dam. Centraal station is 10 minutes by tram from Leidseplein.

The nearest bicycle-rental is 3 minutes walk away from the hotel, and the receptionist gave us really good directions to get there. The hotel is reasonably priced, the location it great, it's clean and seemed very family friendly (we didn't have any kids with us, so I can't claim to know).
But an all-you-can-eat continental breakfast buffet is included - which I know is a big plus when you have teenagers to feed!

Comments