Suite 259

Overtoom 259, Amsterdam, 1054 HW, The Netherlands

More about Suite 259

Best value for money

We stayed at the Grand Sahara for the Easter holidays. Our kids loved the place with so much space, they were running around all the time.
(Sorry for the noise Peter and Aziz) Mother-in-law from Japan also enjoyed it. The steep stairs were a little scary for small children at the beginning, but I soon learnt that's how they are in Netherland, and that's how you get all the space. Breakfast was great, complimentary drinks and sweets were also very nice. Above all, Peter and Aziz were very considerate and were the friendliest hosts you could imagine.
Service couldn't get better than this. All in all, I believe it was the best value for money. I'm glad we could stay here. If you're in doubt, try and you'll find out.

Best Lodging Ever

Ever since my wife and I had visited Amsterdam during a trip through Europe for our 5th anniversary, I wanted to come back; the occasion of my 30th birthday was the perfect excuse for a 5-day trip to one of the most beautiful (and walkable) cities I've visited. The trip turned out to be everything I wanted, thanks in large part to Peter and Aziz at Suite 259.

Our flight arrived very early (around 6:30 am), and after a quick train and cab to Overtoom 259, we were welcomed (by name) at the front door by Peter. He took our luggage and led us into a wonderfully decorated sitting area where Aziz brought out a full breakfast for us--delicious tropical fruit, juice, coffee, and a spicy rice dish (Malaysian, perhaps?). Peter sat and talked to us about our flight, about the Suite, and about their history in Amsterdam. Both men obviously care a great deal about their guests and the bed and breakfast they have built together.

Peter led us up the (steep) stairs to our suite, the smaller "Safari"; to call the suite "small", however, would be a gross injustice.
Compared to *any* European hotel room--and to most American hotels, for that matter--it's HUGE. There is a bedroom with a separate sitting area (and a widescreen TV), but a kitchen/dining area and a computer terminal with high-speed access. The decor of the room is tastefully done, in character with the Safari/Sahara them, and all the appointments are perfect.

The kitchen in the suite has a hot water pot, a microwave, a refrigerator and a coffee maker. The hosts furnish fruit juices, sodas, chocolates, and cookies...and will do his best to satisfy any special requests you might have.

The hospitality of the Suite 259 is unmatched as well. Every morning Aziz prepares a special breakfast for you. All of the dishes were new to us, and certainly unconventional (at least for breakfast) to the American ideal of breakfast. However, we found all of the food creative, flavorful, and delicious--so much so that we found ourselves excited wondering what would Aziz prepare for our next meal! Further, since I was staying with them for my birthday, the hosts gave me a bottle of (fantastic) wine and presented me with a traditional southern Dutch cake (delicious); Peter even coaxed two adorable Malaysian girls staying in the larger Suite with their parents to sing Happy Birthday to me.

In short, our expectations for Suite 259 were easily exceeded by the level of service we received from Peter and Aziz. Our friends who came along stayed at a nearby hotel; they were all raving about how much better the Suite was (at the same price!!) as their hotel, and our room was easily 3 times the size of their's. The Suite 259 experience made our trip perfect.

Fantastic B&B

by TripAdvisor Member mdwest

My wife and I stayed at Suite 259 (in the Suite Sahara) for five nights this month. This B&B is the best value in Amsterdam. Peter and Aziz have anticipated virtually every need and provide many complimentary amenities that clearly differentiate Suite 259 from its competition.Starting with a warm greeting at the front door, to the very large room, comfortable bed and complimentary fruit and drinks (mineral water, soft drinks, and wine), Peter did a wonderful job of making us feel "at home." And Aziz's breakfasts took us around the world with food from a different region each day!The real difference is in the small details: Peter took the time to explain how to use the tram (conveniently located 1/2 block from the inn), parking for our rental car, provided walking and driving directions, and generally helped us get the most of our holiday. Both Peter and Aziz are warm and friendly; a stay at Suite 259 is more like a visit with friends than getting a hotel room.Both Peter and Aziz demonstrated that they are genuinely committed to providing the best service experience possible. As a frequent traveller, I have rarely seen this extraordinary level of hospitality. We will always stay at Suite 259 when in Amsterdam.Other complimentary in-room amenities of Suite 259 include: a DVD player and movies, computer and high-speed internet access (also free wireless LAN), coffee maker (a fancy new Phillips Senseo Crema -- great coffee!), tea, fruit, chocolates, current magazines, tour books, and a Dutch-English dictionary/phrase book!Note the following: the rooms are one floor above street level (in Europe, "first floor" is the second floor in the US). The street can be noisy especially with the windows open; however for those familiar with city living it's nothing usual. Payment is in cash only (no credit cards), so plan accordingly.

Hospitality from the Heart

We stayed at Suite 259 for 4 nights in April. I have travelled far and wide with my family as part of my job and for holidays and Suite 259 is by far the most hospitable place we have stayed at. The attention to detail is fantastic and Peter and Aziz went out of their way to ensure that our stay was as enjoyable and hassle-free as possible. From the breakfast that had to cater for both the adults and our 3 and 6 year old daughters, the amenities (including a fantastic DVD library for both adults and children), the complimentary fruit, drinks, chocolates, biscuits etc., help in planning what to see and do, to securing the best seats at Cirque Soleil which was in town. One really could not ask for anything more and best of all, the hospitality shown by Peter and Aziz was genuinely warm, not the "formula" hospitality that one finds nowadays at most hotels. And yes, I can vouch for 2 girls who serenaded the birthday boy from Alexandria (earlier review) - they are my daughters.

Wonderful place !!

We spend two nights in the suite Safari and it was very nice.
Peter & Aziz are two wonderful persons who makes your stay very comfortable and special.
Delicious breakfast, DVD if you want, you almost feel like at home.

Wonderful experience!

This was our first trip to Amsterdam and our first expierience with a B&B. We found the city to be wonderful and our hosts, Peter & Aziz, at Suite 259, made our stay most memorable. Our accomodations on the Grand Sahara suite was excellent. The our room on 2 floors, was comfortable, bright, and made us feel like being at home. Peter & Aziz where most helpful while not being unobtrusive. It was like we had all the benefits of a private residence with a couple of good friends always at the ready to help when we needed suggestions for restaurants, shopping, and sightseeing. My partner & I highly recommend Suite 259 to anyone coming to Amsterdam. If you've been curious, but unsure, about trying a B&B, then we definitley suggest staying at Suite 259. The only downside? We became accustomed to the amentities at Suite 259 and fell in love with Amsterdam, making leaving a real challenge!

Nothing but perfect

First day home after our first trip to Amsterdam, and we miss it already. First of all we miss Aziz, little baby Elma┬┤s new grandfather, and Peter. If you want a superior place to stay while in Amsterdam we really recommend the Suite 259. The hospitality is enormous and these guys just wants you to have the best of everything. Splendid suite with all you can ask for. Thankyou for a fantastic stay.

Erik, Viktoria and Elma

Great Amsterdam B&B

by TripAdvisor Member ohvee

If you're looking for a great (and affordable) place to stay for a break in Amsterdam, you could do no better than Suite 259, situated in Overtoom, to the southwest of the city centre. Located just north of the sprawling Vondelpark, it's a 15 minute taxi ride from Schiphol Airport, and a 5-10 minute tram journey from the heart of the city, with its multitude of attractions. Comprising two themed suites, the attractively furnished Grand Sahara & Safari, this B&B is run by Peter & Aziz, whose warm hospitality and helpfulness made our stay as comfortable as we could have wished. Much thought has clearly been put into anticipating the needs of their guests, and it's the many small touches that distinguish Suite 259 from lesser establishments- from the bottle of wine (plus soft drinks, fruits and chocolates) that awaits you on arrival, to the internet access provided in each suite, all requirements seem to have been provided for. Our party of 4 booked both suites, and I would say that this is a perfect arrangement if you like to holiday with groups of friends (the terrace at the rear of Suite Grand Sahara is ideal for enjoying a cool glass of wine in the evening). We found our hosts were only too happy to assist with all our requests, from looking up train timetables and booking taxis, to recommending bars and cafes worth visiting. Mention must also be made of the excellent breakfasts, cooked freshly each morning by Aziz- if he offers to prepare his Singaporean fried rice, gamba and chicken, don't pass it up! (it sounds unusual, but believe me, it is worth experiencing, and will set you in good stead for the day). In short, this B&B has everything a traveller could reasonably require, and more- good location and accessibility to public transport, clean, spacious and comfortable rooms, and hospitality that it is second to none. I truly believe that you could find no better establishment at these rates (and I'm equally sure that you could find many that are worse), and would not hesitate to recommend it to any potential visitors to Amsterdam.

Home from home

Stayed here in May 2004. The hotel is actually two self contained flats above the owners' shop.

We stayed in the Grand Sahara suite which is the larger of the two and is set out over two floors. The flat had a large (and very comfortable) bed on the upper floor, together with an ensuite bathroom (toilet, sink & shower), a dressing table and large wardrobe. The lower floor had a sofa and coffe table, kitchenette, and a bathroom with a large jacuzzi bath. The bath fits two with ease and the jacuzzi is great. There is also a small roof terrace on the lower floor with views over the back garden into the Vondelpark. The flat also has 2 TVs, a DVD player and a computer with broadband internet access.

The owners, Peter and Aziz are very welcoming and provided everything we needed, including advice about Amsterdam. Breakfast is served downstairs by Aziz in the morning. Peter also has an extensive DVD collection (300 American and British films, 200 Bollywood) which guests can borrow for no extra charge.

The hotel is just outside the centre of Amsterdam, though is still very central, as Amsterdam is a small city. It is about ten minutes to suite 259 from the central station by tram.

It cost us 400 euros for two nights (Friday and Saturday), which included everything (taxes, breakfast, internet use, DVD loan and drinks provided on arrival).

This is the perfect hotal for a romantic break, and has bags more character than any of the large corporate hotels in the same (or higher) price categories.

qualitz of accomodation and welcome

you will love the originality confort and taste of the decoration of the apprtment. And the warmly welcome and service of the 2 hosts are highly appreciated !

Comments