The Bulldog Hotel

Oudezijds Voorburgwal 216-220, Amsterdam, 1012 GJ, The Netherlands

HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

• Great place for young travelers seeking fun

I have stayed here everytime I have been to A-dam. The atmosphere of the downstairs lounge is very laid back and relaxing. It is a great place to socialize with fellow backpackers from all over the globe. This hostel/hotel is one of the few that allows smoking of fine amsterdam greenage with the comfort of a bar. The rooms are clean and the shared shower of the room I stayed in was cleaned daily. The beds exceed my expectations of comfort for a hostel and the bedding is clean and fresh. The rooms are relatively quiet as most of the debauchery occurs downstairs and elsewhere. The only problem I has here was when a drunk frenchman threatened to fight me because he thought I was sleeping in his bed--but hey, such is life. The staff is extremely nice and helpful (especially the Spanish girl at the front desk(I have a childish crush on her)) and they do all in their power to resolve any concerns you may have. Security is tight here as you are required to present a card to the front desk to get in. I stayed here for New Years in 2006 and the hostel had a killer party for the guests in the lounge. It is a great place to smoke yourself stupid and eat shroomies because of the modern art nouveau-ish decor/layout. As with any budget accomodations in Europe, there are certain gripes I have of this place as well. Though they are minor, I really hate how everytime I used a bathroom at this hotel there was either no TP or 1 sheet left from a huge roll. It is very uncomfortable to wipe your arse with Amsterdam tourism travel guides (joking?). Also, the drinks at the bar are kinda high for the audience they are catering to (4 euros for a 50cl of Heineken) and their beer selection is laughable. Overall, I have to say this hostel/hotel is amazing for younger people and that it is a very enjoyable and fun place to stay in A-dam (it is very close to Dam Square as in the heart of A-dam).

Unique Quality: The place is clean, centrally located, fun, a great value.

• iriedence's Profile Photo

An All Encompassing Hostel

This hostel was amazing. We stayed at the Bulldog Hostel in the Red LIght District (there a couple in Amsterdam), We reserved a room weill in advance and got a two bed private, which was still very affordable. The staff was decent, some were helpful, yet others couldn't care less. The rooms were very clean and the people who stayed there were all very sociable and good natured. They have a bar downstairs and a Coffee aka Smoke Shop next door, although I reccomend venturing out and finding other places.

Unique Quality: Clean Rooms, Great Central Location, and Safety are all unique qualities that would make me want to stay there again. The Bulldog seem sto be a franchise name in Amsterdam as the y have coffeshops, hotels, bars, energy drinks, souvenirs, and cafes spread out all over the city, nice, but sometimes too gimmicky.

Directions: Red Light District

• NSEW's Profile Photo

if you partake in amsterdam's liberalism

this is both a hostel and a hotel. if you visit the web site you can see the super cool hotel rooms. i stayed in the hostel part. i think one of the only hostels i've visited with an elevator/lift. the staff is super friendly. great location. one block from dam square and right on the edge of the red light district.

for the price section, it obviously depends on hotel or hostel. i paid 22 euros for an 8 person dormroom. i think the hotel is around 80 euros. check website for updated prices.

Unique Quality: pool table. great cereal and super soft rolls at included breakfast. the hotel lounge is open 24 hours and you can smoke the stuff you may have purchased during the day here. toilet and shower located in hostel bedroom!

• acemj's Profile Photo

Nice place, but I'm getting too old for this junk!

They call themselves a "hotel," but this place is a hostel. I paid 19.80 Euros for a nice bed in a clean room, but the location on the edge of the Red Light District attracts a decidedly young, stoned and sex-craved group. I think I'm getting too old for that crap! Half the people in my room were so high, they never knew I was there or, for that matter, where they were.

I met a few people from Dublin that were fun to hang out with. Unfortunately, they were into smoking weed and I'm not, so we didn't hang out all that long after they headed to the coffee shops.

Unique Quality: There's a restaurant and bar downstairs that serves food, beer and marijuana. Just don't bring it in the rooms. The bathrooms are really clean, but you can't help but get everything soaking wet when you're taking a shower since there's no curtain or divider between the shower and the sink and toilet (inside a private room).

• mikeman488's Profile Photo

Bulldog Hotel

120 guilders for 2 with a private bath and shower

Unique Quality: Great central location just 1 block off the dam. Very inexpensive and the room I was in had a great canal view.

More about The Bulldog Hotel

Hostels in Amsterdam

by Toddaker

I am going to be in Amsterdam November 13-16. Im travelling alone so I plan on staying at a hostel. After doing some searching on line I have it narrowed down to Flying Pig Downtown or The Bulldog Hotel...any other suggestions or thoughts? I would love to hear form someone who knows more than I do.

Re: Hostels in Amsterdam

by pieter_jan_v

Most people go to either one of the Stayokay or Fling Pig hostels.

There are more; see: