The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection

Costs More than similar hotels. See Hotels with Lower Price

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Boutique Hotel

by written on October 13, 2013

The Convent Hotel is a 4 star Boutique hotel part of the Accor group.

The hotel has 148 rooms.

The Centraal Station is at walking distance.

Directions: Between the Central Station and the

Phildagr8's Profile Photo

A great downtown Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 5, 2007

This place was great, and the hotel is walking distance from everything. The staff is friendly, and it's not too expensive... well, maybe a little expensive, but it wasn't bad for a weekend.

There's also a bar inside the hotel where I ate and drank. A good place to get dinner if you prefer to 'charge it to your room'.

Unique Quality: IT's right on a main street, too, where public transportation is easy to catch! Make sure you have change for the bus, so ask the hotel and they'll be happy to help!

They may be able to provide you with a map of the city to help your walking tour, too! They do have a tour that leaves from the hotel, so if you go, please be sure to ask!

toontraveller's Profile Photo

First Impressions

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 4, 2006

My first stay in Amsterdam was at the Sofitel. It's a good clean hotel of high quality expected from this group. Very central and easy to get to from the central station or by bus, tram and taxi.

The hotel occasionally offers a free night if you stay for so many nights which brings the rate down but you get more or less what you pay for. The reception is 24 hours so you can come and go as you please, very handy in this city that doesn't sleep...almost.

I would stay there again but there are cheaper options if all you want like me is a bed for the night.

Directions: Central

tattud_gurl's Profile Photo

Great location...that's about it.

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 8, 2005

The Amsterdam Sofitel is in a great location, right behind the Damrak and all the noise that accompanies it. Just a short walk from Centraal Station it's a great location....that's about it.
I had a rate of 179.00Euro ($220.0USD!) for 1night, including breakfast. Because I’m familiar with Sofitel, I assumed I was staying at a 4 star property. Not at all what I expected.
My room was very small and badly needed a makeover. But then again, you don’t go to Amsterdam to stay in your room. I’ve read in other reviews that it’s a little noisy due to the traffic on that street, but our room faced a courtyard, so it was VERY quiet except for the maids slamming all the doors on my floor.
The thing I found slightly odd was there were no washcloths in the bathroom. Only towels….strange.
We had a cocktail in the lounge and encountered THE rudest bartender in the world. Didn’t catch his name, but he was an East Indian fellow. When we sat down, there was no one else in the bar. He walked right by us and started clearing off another table. No, “Hi” or “I’ll be right with you”, he just walked by and ignored us. We were in a great mood, so we just sat and waited.
When he finally came to our table, we ordered our drinks and waited…and waited. (good mood) After we got our drinks, he never asked us if we needed anything else or even stopped by to ask if we wanted another, later.
This is a good hotel for the location…it’s literally a 2 minute walk to Dam Square and not far to the Anne Frank house. It’s not as noisy as the hotels on the Dam and the tram stops right in front of the hotel, to go to the train station or into the city. There are several restaurants within a 5 minute radius, a small grocery store across the street and 2 souvenir shops where the merchandise is less expensive.
I stay in Sofitels all over the place, and this wasn’t the quality and service I’ve come to expect.
I would probably give it another try when I return to Amsterdam. I REALLY like the location.

Unique Quality: Location

Directions: around the corner from Damrak

londonbabe's Profile Photo

Great staff lovely room

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 20, 2003

I booked a good rate (140e a night) on expedia for a double room. When we found we'd been allocated a twin, and complained, the reception guy upgraded us :-))). We got a lovely room with king bed, orchids and monsoon shwer. It was right on the main road, overlooking the tram top, so if you normally live somewhere quiet, ask fo a room at the back. We had no problem with the noise as we live in central London, and the clang of the tram bell was a lovely reminder that we were NOT in central London.

There's a large, well maintained sauna, plus a couple of token exercise machines.

Breakfast was fresh and ample, served by friendly staff. Don't have the small sausages though - they taste like the ones you get in tins of baked beans.

Unique Quality: There's an amazing bar done up like the Orient Express. We didn't drink there though, as there are so many lovely cheaper places all around.

It's really central - 5 minutes from Centraal Station, and next to the beautiful Western Canal belt. And, if you're into that, the Grasshopper coffee shop is 20m away.

Directions: By Foot:

From Central Station take the main exit to city centre (Centrum) Cross the road at the traffic lights, turn right immediately. Take the second turning on the left (Martelaarsgracht) Keep left. After 50 metres you will see the Sofitel Amsterdam.

The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection

• Amsterdam Sofitel
  • Sofitel Amsterdam
  • Amsterdam Convent Hotel

Address: Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 67, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, 1012 RE, The Netherlands

Nearby The Convent Hotel Amsterdam - MGallery Collection

• Fitness Center
  • Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews