The Eelhouse B&B

Leidseplein urinalsLeidseplein urinals

puppeteer talk with Papagenopuppeteer talk with Papageno

Dutch houseDutch house

clock gableclock gable

first time visit to amsterdam

by michellejg

Can you tell me the easiest way to get to LEIDSEKADE 66-1. I am coming from the airport. I am not interested in all the museums but looking to find out where all the local people hang out. Looking for cheap good restaurants. What is the best boat to take to tour the area. Can you get off of the boat pass for the day? I will be traveling by foot most of the time. Is the red light district safe in the evening if I am alone? I am also looking for the best outdoor markets for a few gifts. I would also like know if the coffee shop tour is worth taking? Is there a certain coffee shop that is a must? Thanks for your time to answer my questions.

by Yousafzai_Traveler

Cheap and great restaurent is the one called Bazar. Its also on the same street as the one with outdoor market. You can have a look here.

by ATLC

That's the famous Albert Cuyp market (on Albert Cuypstraat).
Be careful with what you buy at any coffeeshop. It may be a lot stronger than you are used to or expect.

The Dutch public transportation planner is at http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/
Just put in 'Schiphol' (= airport) and the address leidsekade.

This is the easiest (no changeovers):
Go to busstop 'Plaza/NS' in Schiphol
Take Bus 197 destination Amsterdam. Get off at busstop 'Leidseplein' in Amsterdam.
Walk 5 minutes to Leidsekade.
It's a 37 minute trip.

The Flower Market (Bloemenmarkt) would be nice for souvenir gifts. Even I as a Dutchie enjoy browsing there.

by Irina80

A while ago I asked similar question about the safety and was assured that Amsterdam was perfectly safe at night, dont worry, blah blah. Perhaps it is safe but trust me, you will not feel comfortable wandering about by yourself in the evening. I tried, for some reason i was attracting unwanted attenction and please do not ask what i was wearing, I'm not an idiot, I looked just like everybody else. It must have been a combination of several things: yound female, leasurely walk, looking around curiously. I dont know, but each evening I had to retreat back to the hostel. By the way, if you're staying at the hostel, you can find walking buddies I'm sure.

by Pijlmans

Irina80,

I'm sorry that you felt that way, what exactly happened?

Cheers,
Dennis

by Irina80

oh nothing serious really, thank you for asking :) it's just as i was walking around enjoying a pleasant evening in the beautiful city i noticed a lot of stoned people with crazy eyes were not only looking at me but even turning and staring as if trying to figure out why that young woman is alone and what it might mean to them, i knew some of them were even discussing this strange (!) fact :). I guess it looked as if i was a promiscuous girl. Other than that Amsterdam is amazing and unique and I enjoyed visiting it a lot.

by Pijlmans

Good to hear nothing serious happened...

I guess it wasn't the first time in your life that guys were staring at you ;-)

But it may be uncomfortable, especially in a strange city...

Take care,
Dennis

by Yousafzai_Traveler

Maybe the just fancied you ?? I would :P

Travel Tips for Amsterdam

Oude Kerk

by bugulma

The old church of Amsterdam was built in 1300. Many renovated works in interior were taken place in 1380-1450. Nowadays the interesting thing is the church is situated within red-light district. The church is open from 11 am to 5 pm (Sunday from 1pm to 5 pm) and entrance fee is EUR 4.50 but is is worth visiting!

Walk around the lovely...

by Bigs

Walk around the lovely watercanals, or take a boattrip around! It´s nice! New Year´s Eve 1996....The streets were burning in the night, cause the Dutch seem to love fireworks and burned whole boxes of it! It was like war!
Maybe it was because it was so damn cold that night:) Minus 20° degrees celsius!

Hidden Women - Spiritual Virgins

by RoyJava

I never had heard about the Museum Our Lord In The Attic and was very surprised to hear about the history of this remarkable museum.

A priest who hold his services in a hidden church in the center of Amsterdam, and got the assistance of about twenty spiritual virgins... and the area around got world-famous for its Red Light District-area! Can you imagine that ?!?

It struck me and I just got in time to visit the special exhibition about the Solitaty Sisters, or the "Spiritual Virgins at Out Lord in the Attic". Twelve artists have commisioned to create art-works, specially on the theme of women and their religion ... I've worked in the Red Light District-area for fashion photography, I've visited the same area with a lot of friends to show them the beautiful "girls-in-the-windows" ...

For now I may join to them the place of the special museum Our Lord In The Attic where the "hidden women" or the "spiritual virgins" did their work, too ... of a religious, and very special quality. I am looking forward to do so ...

Amsterdam Tip

by DrewV

Amsterdam is a city to be strolled. Moments of quiet alleys and calm canals are mixed with bustling boulevards and grand palaces. Everywhere you go, there are scenes to be savoured. I know how cheesy that sounds, but it's true. And you don't even have to be stoned to enjoy it!

Dam Square

by bugulma

Dam Square is the geographic centre of the city and place is situated in front of Royal palace. In the middle of the square there is monument to the soldiers and members of resistance who died during World War II.

Comments