The Flying Pancake

Nieuwe Kerkstraat 153, Amsterdam, 1018 VL, The Netherlands

More about The Flying Pancake

A home from home

by TripAdvisor Member Stain

If you're fed up with under-sized rooms in over-priced hotels then try the Flying Pancake. The room we stayed in was more like a little studio, with a lovely living space (TV, DVD, Stereo) and seperate mezzanine bedroom area. It was well designed and well equipped, but what we appreciated most were the little touches: the drinks tray, the books, the fresh breakfast. Being made to feel so much at home makes The Flying Pancake a wonderful haven.

Outstanding

by TripAdvisor Member mrolo

I cannot praise The Flying Pancake enough; the owners are friendly, helpful and will go to great lengths to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Our suite was on the top floor and was furnished immaculately, with great style and some high end stuff, like B&O TV, DVD and a Bose iPod player. In fact, it's almost too good to leave, especially on cold December mornings with the wind howling and snow in the air. There's a wood burning stove, too. Location is great, and because Amsterdam is such a walkable place, there's no excuse for not seeing the sights. I'll be returning to the Flying Pancake very soon indeed (if I manage to get a reservation, that is).

The Flying Pancakes Does Not Disappoint

My husband and I spent 7 days at The Flying Pancake during the worst tourist weather (January) and we still loved it. Having a cozy, home-like apartment with kitchen facility, steam shower, fire place, living room, comfortable bed, and such a gracious hostess made for some wonderful memories. The Flying Pancake is centrally located to the trams and quite close to the Artis Zoo as well.

Claudia and her family were very kind, fed us well, attended to our every need and provided good conversation and local information. They even dug around and found us some board games to play and books to read when it was just too cold and rainy to be out and about.

We stayed in the topmost floor which provides a loft bedroom (might be a problem for anyone with walking or climbing difficulties or fear of heights) but I believe their second room has the bedroom on the same floor. But it was all the little things that made it special, the fabulously appointed bath and shower made those cold days almost enjoyable. The endless supply of very good coffee with all the fixings and a fine selection of every kind of tea really kept us warmed up as well.

Just be aware that not everything stocked in the mini-fridge is free. My husband kept drinking the beer because there were no prices on them and I thought he was drinking what he had purchased from the store. Our mistake, it ended up costing us about $45 by the time we left. Claudia does explain what is free and what is not on her website so be sure to read it carefully.

This was our second trip to Amsterdam and we still did not have time to see everything it has to offer. Amsterdam is a wonderfully ecclectic mix of old & new and well worth visiting more than once.

Thank you Claudia for a great B&B and thank you Amsterdam for opening your arms and graciously welcoming us "tourists."

A wonderful welcome to Amsterdam

My husband and I had never been to Amsterdam. We flew on an all night flight from San Francisco and were warmly welcomed by Claudia upon our arrival in the early morning. Our room was perfect, spacious and very clean with wonderful amenities such as the spa bathroom and modern kitchenette. The Flying Pancake was perfectly located to walk or ride bikes to all of the sites. The neighborhood is very calm and quiet, with many international restaurants within walking distance. Just a heads up: If you go to Amsterdam around mid September beware of the mosquitos. They are big and plentiful.
We loved The Flying Pancake, and highly recommend the stay! And rent a bike, it's the best thing we did!!

A Super Experience

My husband and I stayed at the Flying Pancake for six nights. Since it was our first visit to Europe we did not quite know what to expect. I had spent hours on the internet trying to find suitable accommodations for us.

The Bed & Breakfast did not disappoint. Claudia was a wonderful hostess. She was very helpful in giving us directions and the loan of the laptop to keep in touch with family was an added bonus.

She truly was a genie as the breakfast appeared outside our door every morning without us hearing anything at all. The lovely old house is a treat to anyone who loves antiques.

After moving down one floor, we were certainly comfortable and our stay in Amsterdam could not have been more enjoyable.

Thank you, Claudia!!!

The Canadian Couple

Believe me, you want to stay here....

Staying at the Flying Pancake was by far the best decision that I made when planning our trip to Amsterdam. It is easily one of the best values in Amsterdam and you will be hard-pressed to find a better place for less money. We arrived battered and exhausted from a week of hard-core sightseeing in Paris and our suite was such a wonderful oasis. Being able to build a fire in the fireplace and relax in the steam shower was so great after a long day out in the cold. Claudia was a wonderful hostess. My own mother is the only one that could have made me feel more at home! All of the little extras that Claudia provided really made all the difference. She left us a basket of goodies every morning for breakfast along with fresh squeezed orange juice. She did our laundry when we arrived (for a very small fee), stocked our fridge with beer and soda which was priced reasonably (wine too, but after spending a week in Paris, we were sick of wine!), she also had a wide variety of complimentary beverages including teas and hard liquors, and an espresso machine. We made espresso every single day and she even provided the milk for steaming. We were in need of a telephone, and Claudia provided us with a cell phone that had pre-paid minutes on it. This was great because we could use it anywhere without being tied to the room. We just settled up with her when we checked out and only paid for the minutes we actually used. Claudia was also very informative regarding the sights in Amsterdam and helped us get oriented by showing us on a map where the good restaurants were. She also helped us get acquainted with the tram system (the Flying Pancake is very, very close to tram 6 and trams 9 and 14 are also nearby). She also had a stack of guidebooks in the suite for us to use during our stay...VERY helpful! We were pleased with the location and found it very easy to get everywhere. The neighborhood is quiet and residential. The only noise we heard was from the elementary school across the street. And that was during the day when the kids had recess.

The suite is designed for two people, however Claudia has air mattresses available and there is room for extra people. There were three people in our party, so we made use of one air mattress. One word of warning if you are travelling with someone other than your significant other - the bathroom does not have a door. The shower and toilet are tucked away behind a wall, so you will have some degree of privacy but it was a little more open than I was comfortable with. She did give us a screen to put in front of the doorway for more privacy. But this was more of just an indicator that the bathroom was occupied, and didn't do much to muffle sound. I still felt the presence of my roommates right on the other side of the screen when using the shower or toilet. If you are travelling with your significant other, then obviously this isn't a big deal. But be warned if you're travelling with someone who doesn't want to hear you use the bathroom! I definitely got used to this arrangement after a couple of days, and would never let this keep me from coming back. Just wanted to mention it since it was the only "surprise" that I encountered when we arrived. One other word of warning - there is a very narrow, steep staircase leading up to both suites. If you are staying in the loft, you will have another steep staircase to get to your suite and yet another to get up to your bed. Of course, if you have trouble climbing steps, you should probably stay away from Amsterdam altogether (and the rest of Europe for that matter)! But, I will say that I was very glad we packed light when I saw the staircase. I can't imagine trying to haul a large suitcase up those stairs, so plan accordingly.

All in all, we had a wonderful stay and I would HIGHLY recommend the Flying Pancake to anyone visiting Amsterdam. I truly felt at home there and Claudia took great care of us. I can't wait to go back to this amazing city and will definitely stay at the Flying Pancake again.

One word - amazing!

by TripAdvisor Member applemouse

We stayed here for 2 days over the New Year period. From the fantastic reviews that it had received before, I knew it was going to be great but this surpassed our expectations. The rooms were amazing, they were equipped with everything you could ever need. The steam showers were an excellent way to start and end the day. Claudia and her family were extremely welcoming and friendly.

I won't stay anywhere else in Amsterdam from now on. If you are going to Amsterdam, then I would definitely book to stay here.

Excellent place to stay!

Having lived in Amsterdam for many years, we were sent off as expats to Hungary/Budapest last year. Since we're renting out our own appartment, we'd chosen TFP for our one-week stay to visit family and friends in Holland. And really, we couldn't have made a better choise! It's an excellent and very comfortable place to stay. The steam cabine, fireplace, nice tulips and the fresh breakfast really amazed us. While staying there, we've been visiting a lot of friends and relatives outside Amsterdam by public transport and we've been inviting friends living in Amsterdam to come to our 'own' temporary home - TFP - to have a drink at the fireplace. We'll definitively come back!

Unforgettable!

by TripAdvisor Member SweetFlea

I was looking for a special place to stay for a special occasion and the TFP delivered indeed. (Though it would make any stay truly special, no matter the occasion!) With distinctive touches like your own entrance, wood-burning fireplace, his-and-hers sinks, steam shower and separate bedroom area, it instantly felt like ‘home’. Certainly wasn’t like any B&B I had ever stayed in before and I’ve stayed in places all over the world! A true find. Mornings were heavenly - waking up to oodles of natural light, an airy space, a eucalyptus steam, a fresh cappuccino and a scrumptious breakfast basket. Aaah, life is good. Claudia was more than the perfect host - not only did she have a gracious manner and delightful personality but she went out of her way to accommodate us. The whole experience was enchanting and we will never forget it!

The TFP an ideal and lovely place in Amsterdam

We had a 3 nights stay with my wife at TFP.
The booking process was efficiently managed by Claudia. The place is idealy situated: not far away from tram and metro. Anyway you can just walk the long of the Amstel river to be in the heart of the city.
We had the suite at the top of the house ( a 2 levels room ). Spacious, quiet, very nice decoration, wonderfull amenities ( B&O CD player, B&O DVD, ipod, coffee machine, steam bath shower ...). Everything you need after a day walking in the city... and more :
a bottle of champagne is waiting for you in the fridge !
There is also a selection of French Bordeaux at reasonable price.

Well, what can I say ? First thanks to Claudia and her familly !
Second : Forget the hotel, there is nothing better than to feel home when you're abroad. That is hospitality !

Strolling around the canals.Strolling around the canals.

De Oude Kerk / The Old ChurchDe Oude Kerk / The Old Church

I have to ride my bicycle , I have to ride it....I have to ride my bicycle , I have to ride it....

Roasted vegetables/garlic lambRoasted vegetables/garlic lamb

Amsterdam city map

by ctpoh

Hi

I'm backpacking to Amsterdam, I need a good map with the tourism spots in order to plan out my trip.

Any good map with street name, tourism attractions, tram/bus line and etc to share with me ?

by goodfish

Here's a good internet version to get you started:

by xymmot

Backpacking, there is a hostel call the Bulldog, pretty famous,I enjoy staying there. If coming in by air, take train to central station. Need no map. At the Bulldog there is a lot of info for touring Amsterdam, with bus line/tram charts.

by johngayton

For a virtual Amsterdam tour (as well as maps and street index) try this site. http://amsterdaminsite.nl/hartw.en/

It's self-explanatory - click on a start point and then just wander using the "hand cursor"

Enjoy Amsterdam.

by pieter_jan_v

Printable map (also zoom function):

Attractions (Zoom in and enable [V] Toerisme):

Public Transportation:

PJ

by sherranne

out of the railway station and straight across is the tourist information centre - they do a free map with all the tram stops listed too, which makes life very easy!They give great advice on all aspects of travel in amsterdam :)

Comments