The Toren Amsterdam

The Toren
Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

• CALSF's Profile Photo

What a hotel should be!

The Toren was recommended by others on another site and the comments are spot on. It is a boutique hotel that is really like an intimate private hotel. The decor on our floor was deep red and black.

We arrived a bit tired from 3+ hours on the Thalys from Paris and had a little bit of a hard time locating the hotel after getting off the tram. As it turned out the hotel was just a block and a half from the tram stop! When we arrived inside the hotel the reception was so welcoming that we were felt even happier that we left behind our Paris hotel (the awful Grand Hotel de l'Univers) for the night.

Our standard double room (#116) was small, however, there was ample room to move around the bed. There is also a sofa on the side by the windows. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom, while it was extra small (tub/shower combination took up half the bathroom) and there was no shelf space except for the glasses to hold toothbrushes it was very comfortable. However, one has to be careful as the granite floor gets slippery and dangerous when wet.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Unique Quality: The staff: Extremely welcoming and helpful

Breakfast and dining room: Buffet breakfast is ample with lots of breads, pastries, fresh fruit, cereal, egg, ham, sausage, herring, etc. Dining room is old-style cosy being that the hotel was formerly a private dwelling. There is a very nice antique mirror and fireplace that makes the dining room cosier.

Location: Hotel is located on posh Keizergracht Canal which is in a quiet part of Amsterdam so one is assured of tranquility yet it's just 15 minutes walk to the busier part of the city. The Anne Frank House is a block away as is the Westerkirk.

Postcards: There is a rack of postcards displayed at the reception desk. They are free. Just ask for one.

Rate: If you're lucky like we were you can get a really low discounted rate (more than 50% less). Our standard room normally goes for 350 euro.

Directions: After getting off the tram at the 3rd stop (Westerkirk) from Centraal Station turn and walk one block back then turn left on Keizergracht.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo

Wonderful Place on Keizersgracht Canal

This hotel was a bit of a splurge for me, but I sure did like it! Our room overlooked the Kaizersgracht Canal and was very nicely furnished, and decent size. Very comfy indeed, with bathrobes and slippers, bath salts, and a mini-bar, to mention a few items. There's a great dark-wood bar across from the lobby, too.

The Toren's in an excellent location, very central yet quiet, on the canal. The people working here seemed eager to please, too.

In the mornings there's a buffet breakfast, but it's extra, not included in the price of the room.

Directions: near the corner of Kaizersgracht and Lelie Gracht, in the Western canal ring area near the Jordaan

• jco88's Profile Photo

We stayed at Hotel Toren off...

We stayed at Hotel Toren off of Keizergratct (sp). Around the corner from the Anne Frank house. Great place, friendly &helpful staff, pleasant bar downstairs. A little pricey for 3 bachelors running around, but it was worth it...

Unique Quality: Right along the canal, very nice part of town. The architecture is beautiful ...

More about The Toren Amsterdam

Hotel Toren -Amsterdam - Canal...

by pattipbg

Hotel Toren -Amsterdam - Canal house. My husband and I have stayed there Christmas & New Years(1999/2000)
and Thanksgiving 1998.
approx. $150 per night for the bridal suite The staff are nice & helpfu.l My husband & I stayed in the 'Bridal suite' in the second building which overlooks the garden. The room is very spacious & has a marble fireplace and an unbelievable bathroom with a jacuzzi for 2.

FRANÇAISOù dormir en Zélande ?...

by Porteplume

FRANÇAIS
Où dormir en Zélande ? Vous aurez une magnifique vue à l'Auberge 'De Campveerse Toren'**, hôtel-restaurant de charme aménagé dans une tour faisant partie des remparts, Veere. Si c'est Middelburg que vous voulez visiter, alors logez à l'Hôtel du Commerce - Fletcher***. Et dans notre île Schouwen-Duiveland ?ENGLISH:
Where to sleep in Sealand ? You will enjoy the view in Auberge 'de Campveerse Toren'**, hotel-restaurant in Veere. And if you like to visit Middelburg, you will have a pretty stay at Hôtel du Commerce - Fletcher***.€

Toren-riffic

by TripAdvisor Member PeripateticTravelBug

Booked this hotel at the last minute on the basis of location and price. I was incredibly surprised to find that my room was enormous and very comfortable. Plasma TV, air-conditioning, lovely bathroom and spacious enough bedroom for queen sized bed, large corner sofa, desk area. Unusually for Amsterdam it also had complimentary tea & coffee making facilities in the room. The windows opened onto a charming and peaceful courtyard garden. Staff were uniformly helpful and welcoming.

A highly recommended hotel and and absolute oasis from the city pace and heat.

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member GJGH

Simply superb room and service. Stayed March 23 + 24th.
The staff are wonderful, the room was very clean, very comfortable and with great ambiance.
We had room 227, good canal view. Will not hesitate to stay at Hotel Toren again when in A'dam

wonderful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member traveller200

Hotel Toren was a great hotel in a convenient location. It's on one of the most beautiful canals and just around the corner from the Anne Frank House. There's also a church next to the Anne Frank House with a very tall steeple that makes a great landmark when finding your way back to the hotel. Considering that the airline lost our luggage for 48 hours and that my friend was pickpocketed in the train station as soon as we arrived in Amsterdam, we really appreciated the friendly staff. The concierge was very sympathetic, warned us that there are LOTS of pickpocketers in Europe, and patiently helped my panicked friend to contact her credit card companies. Our room was nice, clean and overlooked a quiet courtyard. We could walk to the train station, Dam square, Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum, the infamous red light district and other attractions. It was very easy to take a tram anywhere we wanted to go such as the Van Gogh Museum (fantastic), the Rijksmuseum, Leidesplein Square (famous for nightlife), a flower market and a flea market. (Another highlight of our trip was that we saw another pickpocketer get busted by an undercover cop on the tram.) I would highly recommend this hotel to families. My only complaints are that breakfast is not included and that the internet in the room is costly and VERY slow and hard to use.

by TripAdvisor Member esjas12

We had already stayed at the Canal House Hotel, just down from the Toren and knew what to expect. We were not disappointed. Our room (227) overlooked the Keisergracht canal and was clean, comfortable, with jacuzzi bath. The staff were very helpful and polite. The location is perfect for all the sights but quiet enough to be peaceful at night. I'd highly recommend this hotel

Quiet and comfortable haven

We had booked another hotel in this area via a suggestion from a Dutch friend - which turned out to be a mistake as we were within earshot of the Westermark chiming bells, which ring every fifteen minutes all through the night. Following a disturbed night, we walked around the area and found the Hotel Toren. They showed us a very quiet room at the back of their annexe (room 404) which looked onto a little courtyard. The room was spacious, welcoming and comfortable. There is aircon. The bathroom was clean and well-equipped, the shower was very powerful and everything worked. We chose not to eat breakfast there as we thought 12euros per person was expensive - and there are two very good cafes which serve breakfast just around the corner. This hotel is in a marvellous area, within walking distance of everything but peaceful and atmospheric. There are many typically Dutch eating places close to hand, and it is a delightful area to walk around at night.

Montelbaans torenMontelbaans toren

Name a couple of Amsterdam landmarks

by Lebanese

I'm planning to be in Amsterdam & Eindhoven on the 1st week of Jan 2004 (6th to 9th of Jan). Any recommendations from the Netherlands. I would be limited in my time as this would be mainly a business trip but I would like to hear about a couple recommendations espacially at night ( I guess that's the only time that I'll be free ). I would love to meet some of VT members living there. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Name a couple of Amsterdam landmarks

by Pavlik_NL

Sorry, I just stripped my Amsterdam-page to built a new one in a better categorised way. Will be up in the next week, so maybe then you can see the highlight of our capitol.

Greetings,
Paul

by pieter_jan_v

Difficult question, because you look for things to do outside the wekend at night.
There will be concerts (eiher classical or popular).
The museums are closed at night and the Rijksmuseum will be under construction and so will the famous Carre Theater be.
Thursday night is shopping night in most Dutch towns.
It will be no fun in the straats; cold, chilly and dark.

I don't know your intersts. Have a look at http://www.holland.com/us/ and select: arts - performing arts and get the info you want.

Other tips: A brown cafe visit in the Amsterdam Jordaan area or stroll around the RLD.

For Eindhoven: Look at the VT nightlife tips for that town: http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/70b94/5/

Please supply more personal preferences so we can help you better,

PJ

Re: Name a couple of Amsterdam landmarks

by edvin_br

Go to the Red light district!!!
I heared a lot about it... its one of the coolest parts in the city...

by dnwitte

When I read "landmarks" in the subject heading I didn't think of venues but of architectural monuments. The Waag, the Oude Kerk, the Noorderkerk, the Westerkerk and the Rijksmuseum all look fabulous at night. Also, a stroll along the Amstel between the Munt toren and the Magere Brug ("The Skinny Bridge") is quite pretty, especially if you walk on the east bank.As for a visit to a bruincafe, my personal favorite is Cafe Oosterling at the end of Utrechtse straat. It's authentic and has a very diverse neighborhood crowd and nice tenders behind the bar.

by Lebanese

Thank you all for your help and yes may be I did not use the correct term it should have been activities. Got a glimpse at the red district last time I was passing by, shocking!!!

Comments