Hotel Zee Bergen

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Bergen

Where to stay?

by g67

I will be flying into Weeze on 28 January-2 February 09 and I am aware that the town of Weeze is quite small so we do not wish to stay there. However, we would like to stay in a larger town that is convienient for visiting attractions in the local area. We do not care if this is in nearby Holland or further into Germany. It would be more suitable if the travel time is no longer than 50/60 minutes by train!

Thanks in advance.

by ATLC

Your postings are located in the Province Noord-Holland and Bergen forums. I think you're a bit far off geographically. If you would like a nearby Dutch town (nearby to Weeze, I mean), than I would suggest Nijmegen, near the German border. It is a very old Dutch town (Roman remains), and only 41 kms from Weeze.

by g67

Thanks for your reply. Is there a direct train or bus service to nijmegen? As this is a tourist town, will the hotel rates not be quite expensive?

by ATLC

You can check hotel rates for instance via www.hotels.nl (English version available).

All information about bus transportation from Weeze (to Nijmegen and other places) at: http://www.airport-weeze.de/2-3-9_bus_nimwegen.php?lang=en

Nijmegen is a lovely city but not necessarily touristic. It is amongst other things, a student town. Besides, you'll be there outside the holiday season in winter so it's quieter anyway.

by g67

Thanks for the reply. This information has been very usefull.

by Pavlik_NL

Hi there!

Obviously by "Bergen" you ment "Berg-en-Dal", a scenic village in the foresty hills of the "Rijk van Nijmegen" (Empire of Nijmegen).
I'ld not say that Nijmegen is not a particularly touristic town, as it has splendid places to go to and offers quite some museums as oldest town of the Netherlands! (said as being an Arnhem-guy, this means a lot).

Nijmegen offers a wonderful city center with quite some monumental buildings. The view over the river "Waal" (actually the main stream of the river Rhine) from the bridge and kay are beautiful and furthermore Nijmegen offers the "Valkhof" museum (history/archeology), the Africa-museum, the Biblical Museum and some smaller museums.

On behalf of my hometown Arnhem, I must mention it as also a quite interesting place to go to. It offers you a large set of museums and interesting places to go to that have also quite international fame, such as: Dutch National Open Air Museum (www.openluchtmuseum.nl), Museum Kröller-Müller inside the National Park "Hoge Veluwe" (www.hogeveluwe.nl), Burger's Zoo (www.burgerszoo.nl) and several museums regarding the Battle of Arnhem (www.airbornemuseum.org). The city of Arnhem furthermore offers you "shop 'til you drop" and some monumental buildings in it's once completely destroyed city center.

More questions, do post me a mail.

Kind regards,

Paul

by ATLC

If it suits your plans, I second Arnhem. Just the other day I was looking at photos of when I lived near there and went to school in Arnhem. Much underrated city!

by g67

I have found this Bed and Breakfast hotel in Nijmegen that appears quite attractive. Does anyone know if it is centrally located in the town?

by ATLC

Yes, it's central. Only a few hundred metres to the pedestrian center of town.
And 1.5 kms from Central Station.

Put in the address Bijleveldsingel 9, Nijmegen in www.viamichelin.com and you'll get a map.

by g67

Arnhem is not one of the towns that would be on our list to visit but after your testimonial it will give us a good alternative town that we can visit.

Travel Tips for Bergen

Bergen Noord Holland, a great place to grow up

by grimm65

"Sunday afternoon"

Me and my friends used to play in the large road just outside of the area where we lived.
Play IN the road?
Yes, there was an energy crisis, and in order to save gas, people were not allowed to drive on Sundays.

It was a great feeling to ride my bike up and down the wide road (at least that is how I remember it), and riding my bike to the gas station, which for some reason still was open on Sundays.

Comments