Hotel Golfzang

Lighthouse and St. Agnes' Parish ChurchLighthouse and St. Agnes' Parish Church

VoorstraatVoorstraat

Egmond aan Zee

by Sakalama

Who can tell me about Egmond aan Zee. Want to spent my summer holidays there. What is worth to see there, I have heard that Alkmaar ist nice but I would like to know what is interresting to see and also a nice places to spend an evening. Who can tell me something about?

by pieter_jan_v

You can look at the Dutch Tourist Office page for that area at: http://www.noord-holland-tourist.nl/uk/alkmaareo-kust/welcome.html

Personally I recommend Alkmaar (at the day there is a cheese market), Schagen (at the Schagermarkt), Haarlem, Zaanse Schans en Zaandam.

Egmond is in the middle of nature: beach and woods; ideal for a bicycle trip.

by Sakalama

Dear Pieter thank you for the information. I have one more question I am coming per airplain to Holland so I dont have a car there.
I would like to prefer take a bus to this places you mentioned or can I lend a bicicle? Are these places far away from Egmond? with bicicle will be more nice but I dont know the distances. are they all more than 20km from Egmond? thank you for helping Maria

by nighthawk

Maria,

If you come by plane you can take the train or the bus to Alkmaar and from there take a bus to Egmond.

Egmond is a nice little place at the sea, there s a lighthouse you can climb, some days they have market.
Almost anywhere it is possible to rent a bicycle, best go to the tourist information office.
Alkmaar is real near by, you can cycle there, i.e. go via Egmond-Binnen where s the remains of an old castle.
The dunes are wonderful for a cycle to. Bergen at sea has a sea aquarium (bout 6 km or so) and Bergen (10 km) is an artistic town with some nice markets too.
I got some pages on it for we have vacationed here a lot.
We always cycled here with the kids, distances weren t that big.
If you got any more questions, just ask!

roelien

by pieter_jan_v

If you come by plane, you probably land at Schiphol Airport (for info see my Schiphol page).
From there you can take the train to Alkmaar and bus 165 to Egmond aan zee.
I think you have to go to the local Tourist Office for more info thereafter. Most places I mentioned are too far to just take the bicycle (and Holland can be a rainy country!). Use a bicycle to explore the surroundings of Egmond.
For bus/train connection just use
http://www.9292ov.nl/ (sorry, it's in Dutch only, but it has the best info).

by ayesh

Hi Maria,

I´m going to add something to the other advices you already had. The train leaves from the airport and is easy to catch, but you´ll have change trains at station Amsterdam Sloterdijk. Easily done by the way. They will probably leave from platform 3 or 4.
As for the cheese market in Alkmaar: you should go and see it. I believe they do it on Fridays.

Furthermore I suggest to go to Schoorl which lies on the coast as well. The order of towns on the coast, going north, is Egmond aan Zee, Bergen and then Schoorl. The reason I suggest Schoorl is because they have the widest dune area in the Netherlands. It is a preserved nature park and has some nice trails you can walk on. A local bus (green or yellow) can take you from town to town.

As for going out in the evenings: the Waagplein in Alkmaar (that´s a square) has quite some bars around it. The same goes for the Platte Stenen Brug (the area around a bridge near the Waagplein).

I hope you enjoy yourself and that the weather gods are in your favour!

by nighthawk

good suggestion! schoorl s the best! that s where we always stayed!
A good site on Schoorl is --->
in English even!

Roelien

by sai82

Visit a strandpaviljoen! De Schelp is nice..

by Sakalama

than u for the info. What is strandpaviljon? is that restaurant? sorry for that question but i dont have a idea.

by Sakalama

you are a star! thank u a lot. you know when u absolutely dont know the place u are a bit afraid. I have one more question: how far is aproximately from Egmond to Alkmar can I go there by bike? When i stay in Alkmaar late i am afraid i dont get the bus back to Egmond is it danger to travel at night by bike. You know in Vienna where I am living we never have to be afraid. Vienna is very safe city.

by pieter_jan_v

De schelp is the biggest restaurant at the Egmond coast, see http://www.strandpaviljoendeschelp.nl/

by Sakalama

thank you a lot for your information. now i am not afraid anymore that the time i am spending in egmond will be boring. i will follow all your sugestions and my only hope is to have a nice weather. For the first time i am going "north" for holiday. I was always in "south" like greece or spain. u have of course very nice tempiture there but i wanna try something new. I was 2 times in holland but only in amsterdam. i love the citi for me it has a special flair and the people are easy going. in vienna all people are konservative. greetings to your family Maria

by pieter_jan_v

The distance from Egmond aan Zee to Alkmaar center city is about 10 km. So, take your bicycle!

by Sakalama

thanks pieter. i have looked at the web site of strandpaviljon its very nice.

Comments