Hotel Carillon

June.b's Profile Photo

Right at the center.

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 19, 2010

Hotel Carillon is located exactly opposite (or at the side of) the church at the Grote Markt.

I booked this hotel via booking.com

In my opinion, it's a restaurant/dining/bar/cafe first, and hotel second...or maybe it really is. There are lots of people sitting at the many chairs/tables set up outside the hotel - an outdoor cafe, and inside where the bar is. Then it's quieter when you get up inside the building on the hotel part which is just above the resto/bar - first floor til 3rd floor.

In fact, in both two nights I was there, i didn't see a single soul along the corridors or the steep stairs, but I could hear one or two people passing outside my door once in a while which means I was not alone. Although again, whenever I go to the single small cubicle shared shower and separate shared toilet (which is bigger than the shower room), it's always available, which is a good thing for me of course.

The single room they gave me is small - but for the price EUR40 incl. breakfast - I couldn't complain. Half portion of the bed is under the window ledge that gave me a coffin-ish feeling and if you'r enot careful you might bump your head - well I didn't. Duvet is clean-white, TV, big windows with a partial view of the St. Bavo church on the left, no view below as it's facing the other building like 4 meters apart and I could hear people shouting from the left-below, a bit noisy at night. There's a washbasin directly beside the bed maybe a distance of only few inches to the side of the bed, small cabinet, small table with sachet shampoo and liquid soap, and a foldable chair.

The stairs - like most Amsterdam hotels - are so steep, steeper than the one I've stayed in Amsterdam central. Well, I did not fall not once, so it's safe though, just hold on to the rail.

Internet conenction in room is free though. The breakfast is not much but ok to fill up before a midday lunch.

Staff - asian girl = nice though a seemingly fabricated-friendliness, the pretty african girl = sincerely nice and trying hard to give help, and answers all my questions with the right info. Other staff - hmmm... only.

Overall, if staying in Haarlem, Hotel Carillon is ok unless you find a cheaper option and centrally located. But next time I'm in Amsterdam -- I would be staying right at the center of Amsterdam -- that's the only way to feel the vibe of the city.

Unique Quality: Cheaper room rate and central location.

Directions: exactly beside the St. Bavo Church at the Grote Markt.

FletchInEuropeYahoo's Profile Photo

Fabulous location

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 19, 2004

The hotel itself is old, from an American perspective. We saw a painting of the Grote Markt in the Franz Hals museum, painted in 1669, and the square looks exactly the way it does today. We were able to point and say, "There's the Carillon."

The hotel is basic, super-comfy beds with down comforters. Don't expect luxury; no in-room phone, limited cable. But the rooms are clean, baths are modern, and the steep, narrow stairs are interesting. Our room overlooked the Markt, and we were able to amuse ourselves during "down times" by people-watching from our windows.

No air-conditioning; we were there in May and didn't need or miss it. Haarlem is definately the place to stay versus Amsterdam. Much quieter and safer.

The owner's daughter spoke great English and was friendly and helpful. We are going back to Europe next year and will definately stay here.

Unique Quality: The Carillon is so named because of St. Bavo's catherdral across the street. The bells ring periodically during the day, then from 9-9:30 in the evening. This sounds annoying but was in fact, charming.

Directions: Grote Markt

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Haarlem Travel Forum

Need advice about Haarlem, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Haarlem and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Haarlem hotel reviews

Afternoon Tea
Grote Markt / Big Market square
City Hall
Things to Do
Fries at the market square
Seeds, Flower bulbs and Souvenirs