DV Groep Bed & Breakfast

Satisfaction Poor

More about Volendam

Selection of DollsSelection of Dolls

In the backstreets of VolendamIn the backstreets of Volendam

Somewhere to eat?Somewhere to eat?

Fish vendorFish vendor

Souvenir Questions

by mpyles

I was just there visiting your town and many shops. I purchased several souvenirs but I am interested in many more. I would like to know how I could get some items. I am interested in porcelian dolls and knomes. There is a shop there that mas many knomes on the floor level to the right after you walk in the door. I love them. Could you assist me in this? Thank you so much for your assistance.

Monique

RE: Souvenir Questions

by Beausoleil

Hello. This is a general travel forum. You aren't actually in touch with anyone from the town unless someone who lives there and is a VT member happens to see your post. That may happen and would be wonderful.

In the meantime, at the top of your page there is a Search window. Type Volendam into the window and the next window is set to a default of Destinations. This is a Destination Search for Volendam so click on Go.

When you get to your choices, pick the Volendam you want (there may only be one), then you will go to a Virtual Tourist (VT) general travel page. I suspect you will find what you want by checking Tips on Shopping. If there is a Shopping tab, click it. If not scroll down to Shopping Tips and click on those. Hopefully, someone will have entered a Travel Tip on the shop you are trying to find.

Good luck.

Travel Tips for Volendam

Hidden treasure - Hotel Spaander

by craigbooth

The Hotel Spaander makes a trip to Volendam worthwhile.
I haven't actually stayed in this hotel, but I have eaten there, and whenever I can I visit the lounge for coffee and appelgebak.
Volendam for me is rather too horribly over-developed for tourism, but this place is an island of real value.
The lounge is a stunning room, which feels like a ship's saloon.
The artwork which covers every square foot of the walls, and has been given by visitor artists since the end of the 19C is fantastic. It alone is worth the trip to Volendam.
Amazingly, it doesn't get too busy, so you really do feel special to have avoided the hordes outside. The sheer pleasure of sitting in Hotel Spaander's lounge

What to do.

by Lalique

The village has a great shopping street, which is the only one there of such type, going along marina. The street is full of souvenir shops and small cafes and restaurants.
MY ADVICE: If you want to buy some souvenirs, go to Volendam. There they are much cheaper than in Amsterdam.

Kindergarten children in traditional costume

by Martin_S.

In the Volendam museum we just happened to catch a group of kindergarten children dressed in traditional Dutch costumes. What the occassion was I could not determine from the people in the museum, so we just enjoyed watching.

TAKING PRECAUTIONS

by hevbell

A lot of the houses along the shoreline sit low behind the road which acts as a dam, to protect the buildings from any flooding. I just love all these typiclally Dutch looking houses with the gabled roofs and such. So much nicer than the plain "boxes" that make up the houses where I live!

EXPLORE THE BACKSTREETS

by hevbell

Since we were there in October, Volendam wasn't nearly as busy as I'm sure it gets in the middle of summer but it was still nice to get away from the really touristy area at the harbour, with all the gift shops & restaurants, and explore some of the quieter backstreets of the old town.

If you look closely at this photo you can just make out one of the typical lift bridges crossing the canal in the background.

Comments