"At the Northsea Coast"
Zandvoort has been a fishing village since 1100. At that time it was known as Sandevoerde. For centuries the area was controlled by the Lords of Bredero. In the 19th century Zandvoort became a bathing village. In 1828 the first Bathing House was opened. In 1881 the railroad was opened, followed by a tramline 1n 1899.
After World War II Zandvoort became a touristic coastal town. In 1948 the race circuit was build and even Formula 1 races were held here.