Nieuwstraat 41, Deventer, 7411 LG, nl
Check rates and availability
More about Deventer
Station, Deventer Netherlands, 2006
De Dikke van Dale terras - Deventer
Toy Museum Sign - Deventer
Travel Tips for Deventer
Close to the St. Lebuinus church, actually looking like an extension of the northern side-aisle, are the remains of the Mariakerk (church of Mary). This church was probably built at the end of the 13th century. It was a parish-church, while the much bigger St. Lebuïnus was a collegiate church used by a chapter of canons. In 1511, after it had been decided to cancel the construction of a second tower for the St. Lebuïnus, the southern side-aisle of the Mariakerk was widened and connected with a passage to the northern side-aisle of its big neighbour. After the Reformation the Mariakerk lost its function and fell into decay. The roof of the nave and all vaults were demolished. The northern side-aisle was demolished in 1612, a chapel was converted into houses. The resulting space was filled with more houses which were built against the remaining church walls. In 1647 the southern side-aisle became an armoury. In the 20th century the Mariakerk was rediscovered as something special, and its ruins were restored.
The Bergkerk (mountain church)
build between 1198-1209.
At the 15th century the church was rebuild as a late- gothic church.
Nowedays the church is used as a presentation place for modern art.
You can visit The exhibitions and also the interior of the church, for a reasonable price.
Deventer has quite a few Manneristic buildings, 27 to be precise, with this type of gable, the so-called Gelders-Overijsselse gevel ('Gelderland-Overijssel gable'), named like that due to the fact that most are found in Zutphen and Deventer. Similar gables however are also found in other provinces. This type of gable is entirely made of brick.
This corner is called "De Penninckshoek"
Around 1588 Herman Penninck gave the order to build this show facade.
The statue of Albert Schweitzer is situated here because the international Albert Schweitzer institute was situated in the Penninck corner for some years, today the institute has been moved to Maarssen
Excursion to Deventer - we arrived in town by ferry from the other side of the river IJssel on 9 December 2006, at about six o'clock in the afternoon - it was already dark, a pitch black night. In the town centre: the Grote Kerk or Lebuinuskerk, close to the river. The statue in the foreground is a monument to the Dutch resistance in WW II.
Grote Kerk in the spotlights.