Erve Bruggert

Booking.com Hotels.nl Priceline.com

More about Haaksbergen

FireplaceFireplace

The Starter(s)The Starter(s)

Dinner table waitingDinner table waiting

Restaurant Bi‚j de Watermölle - HaaksbergenRestaurant Bi‚j de Watermölle - Haaksbergen

I'm looking for some friends in Haaksbergen

Hi all :)

I will visit Haaksbergen and surroundings in February and my problem is that I don't know anyone there. So I'm looking for anyone who would like to show me the city, spend some free time on chating, going to pubs etc.

So if you would like to meet someone new (I mean ME) please let me know here or on my email adress: atlor@hotmail.com

By the way, I'm 29 years old, male. :)

RE: I'm looking for some friends in Haaksbergen

by pieter_jan_v

I live in the neighbouring Hengelo.
Haaksbergen is a village and I think the center can be seen within a hour.
Better explore Enschede or Hangelo.
Just let me know when you arrive.

by eenelfje

Haaksbergen is a village not a city. Just go to the neigbouring city Enschede you can go out there and there are a lot of bars on the square by the chuch. Nice to hang out there. If you have a car you can even go clubbing in Germany. Index is the place where lots of people go, its a huge club. Its just 30 min. from Enschede.

by ATLC

Pubbing may not be the major thing in Haaksbergen (although I found it to be very lively with young people one May's evening) but still worth a visit! Just saying that because you might get the impression that it doesn't offer anything. I find it quite a nice place!

RE: RE: RE: I'm looking for some friends in Haaksbergen

by atlor

Thanks for your answers :)
I think you are right, and Enschede or Heglo are much more bigger cities so there should be more places to spend some free time.
Unfortunately I will not have the car there so I will need to use bus transportation.
Could you tell me please what are the prices of bus connection between Haaks. - Enschede? how much time it takes one way? how can I check the schedule for busses?

by eenelfje

the website of the buscompany that runs there has no English version on their website

by ATLC

Bus from Haaksbergen (central busstation) to Enschede trainstation will cost you € 4 one-way. The ride is less than half an hour.
You need to buy a strippenkaart (valid in the whole of the Netherlands). You can buy them from the busdriver but cheaper is at a tobacconist shop or post office.
See my Travel Tip on how the Strippenkaart works (and what it looks like) at:

The ? should be euro.
So it costs 4 euro.

by ATLC

Schedule: 4 times per hour at 2, 13, 32 and 43 minutes past the hour.

by pieter_jan_v

There's a picture of the Haaksbergen busstation at my transportation tip at: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tp/8d3ae
On that picture there's a Connexxion bus; the last year the route was taken over by Syntus, a company that also controls the local trains.

Bus 20 goes to the Enschede Train station for 5 strips. You can buy a 45 strippenkaart for Euro 19.80.

Bus 53 goes to the Hengelo Train station for 6 strips.

If you like we can meet on a Saturday.

by ATLC

PJ? I got my information from www.92ovov.nl and it said 4 euro. How did you get 5 euro? Has 92ovov not been updated after 1st of January? I'm guessing :-)

by pieter_jan_v

5 strips (not Euro's). I forgive you for answering after midnight :)

by atlor

Well, I see, that riding with strippenkaart is much cheaper than with regular tickets so thanks for advice :)
And what's with trains? What transportation (bus or train) is better/cheaper/faster between Haaks. - Enschede - Heglo?
ATLC - this train ticket machine looks so strange :P

One more important thing - could you give me some input regarding weather in Haaks. in February - what temperatures can I expect there? is there snowing or raining?

pieter_jan_v - I should be in Haaks. since 11.02 so we could meet on sunday 12.02

eenelfje, ATLC, pieter_jan_v - are you guys all live in Haaks.?

by pieter_jan_v

Regular users of the public transport buy strippenkaarten (like the one with 45 strips) on forehand (at the postoffice/train station etc).

There is an Intercity train running from Enschede-Hengelo-Almelo to the West of the country.
There Are local train (operated by Syntus) running between Hengelo and Oldenzaal; Hengelo-Delden to Zutphen; Hengelo-Almelo-Nijverdal to Zwolle.

Haaksbergen only has a tourist steam train runnin from the Easter through summer to/from the village of Boekelo.

So, travelling to/from Enschede or Hengelo - Haaksbergen is only by bus.

It's still around the freezing point. We had some snow last weekend.
A cold rainy day is something you can expect for sure.

I have noted February 12 at my calendar, but that's a Sunday with not to much action around. I think Saturday 18 is a better idea, but I will be glad to drive you around a little. Just drop me an email.

I live at Hengelo. eenelfje and ATLC are from the Rotterdam area, but we cover the whole of the Netherlands.

BTW So sorry to see what happened in your hometown last Sunday. ~70 deads.
Were there any friend of you involved?

Travel Tips for Haaksbergen

Painter Klaas Bernink (1913-1996)

by ATLC

Klaas Bernink uses the socalled "clear line". He paints nothing that is not necessary. His main topics were textile industry, rail, and mines. But also local buildings and scenery.

He started out as a factory worker. He had drawn from a very young age on, but it was only after the Second World War he went to the Arts Academy to learn how to paint.
In 1965 he decided to become a full time artist.

His style: strong, clear paintings without elaboration. He used acryl paint which dries faster and was just more economic for a home worker like he was.

A book about his work and life was written by Peggy Breitbach.
ISBN: ISBN 9036513715

Jan te Wierik (1954-2002)

by ATLC

Jan te Wierik (Haaksbergen) began his art career in 1971 at the age of 21. He had little to no exposure to art in his early years. He is totally self-taught, and started his career primarily as a sculptor with painting being a secondary medium. After some years sculpting in heavy stone, he developed back problems which forced him to concentrate primarily on painting.

Jan works with specially prepared paper and uses acrylics, acrylic pigments, and various types of oil paint including artists' oils and ordinary oil based house paint. Most of Jan's work is done in mixed media. The colors in his work are primary. The backgrounds are nondescript and on most paintings, two primary images are depicted. Sometimes they are obviously animal, but occasionally one can see a distinct human appearance. Whatever it may be, woman or man, bird or dog, what these creatures have in common is either an intense connection or a rather harrowing lack of contact. A self-taught artist, Jan identifies most with other expressionist painters.

While early in his career Jan worked primarily in the abstract, form has become more and more important to him. He works impulsively out of pure emotion and rarely has a preconceived plan. As he puts it, "I simply start working in the morning. I think painting is a craft; I don't wait for inspiration."

(text taken from website)

De Wilder

by pieter_jan_v

De Wilder is a Tropical swimming pool with sauna and organized sport activities (amongst others Nordic Walking).

Opening hours:
Mo & Tu; Th & Fr: 7AM - 10AM; 10AM - 4PM; 7.15PM - 9.30PM.
We: 7AM - 10AM; 10AM - 4.45PM; 7.15PM - 9.30PM.
Sa & Su: 10Am - 5PM.

Admission: ? 3,70 Swimming gear.

Golfcenter Het Langeloo

Holes: 6.
Holes between 85 and 140 metres.
Admittance: proof of proficiency .(golfvaardigheidsbewijs).
Greenfee € 12,50 for 18 holes. Dress code:
Bermuda shorts are permitted.
No football-, tennisshorts or other shorts.

Ladies:
Blouse or shirt with sleeves and or collar.

Men:
Shirts always with (short) sleeves and collar.

Ladies & Men:
Decent jeans are permitted.
Socks are obligatory.

Klootschieten

by ATLC

This is a tradition sportsgame popular in the region of Twente.
Two teams of 6 players each.
The equipment is a wooden ball made of very dry wood with a center of lead and the size of approximately a tennisball.
Every player throws the ball two or three times in turn and the team that has covered the longest distance this way, has won.

Comments