Little Siam Hotel

Balijelaan 17, Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data
  • Not good

I had the misfortune to stay here a few years ago for a couple of days. Now, I can speak basic Thai, and so when I arrived I said the usual customary greetings, which seemed to be somewhat poorly received, and from there on, the relationship with the staff went downhill. Although the room itself was pleasantly furnished, the hallway and environs were rather tatty. The room was small due to the shower room having been crammed into the corner. The TV remote didn't work, and when I enquired if I could have new batteries or a replacement remote, I was abruptly told "no". This is a no smoking hotel, which is fair enough, however the smoke alarm is so sensitive that even steam from the shower can set off the alarm. Now these may be small issues, and I would have been prepared to have let them slide, had it not been for my experience in the restaurant on the first evening. When I entered, I was greeted by a surly young waitress who appeared to speak only Thai, as her Dutch and English were non-existent. I took my seat at the table as indicated, and ordered what a normally have when I eat Thai - that is to say Thai fishcakes and chicken red curry. I even pointed the items out on the menu to avoid any confusion. So when the food (starters) arrived, in addition to the Tod Man Pla (Thai fishcakes) there were what appeared to be Won Ton parcels, to which I not at all partial. I didn't say anything as to have done so would have caused more confusion, and I took it to be a complimentary dish. Then the main course (the red curry) came, which was good. I must say that the food was well cooked, and up to this point I had no complaint. However, when the bill arrived, I saw that I was charged for the Won Ton parcels. So I called over the waitress and pointed out that I hadn't ordered them, and as such it was a little unfair to charge me for them, especially as I had left them untouched. Now I said this with a smile and not at all angry, as it was (I assumed) simply a small mistake. However, for some reason the waitress lost her temper, demanded payment and told me to left the establishment immediately. I tried to reason with her, saying that I was a guest in the hotel, but she started to get hysterical, insisting that I left the building... At which point I decided to pay whatever and retreated outside, returning later in the evening after the restaurant had closed. I was so traumatised by the incident that I never returned to the restaurant, even for the included breakfast. Now, I hear the reader saying to his or her self, "he must have done something else to insult her", and I understand you completely, but no. Now and again over the past few years when I have remembered the incident I have racked my brains for an answer, but to no avail. I was not rude in any way, I was both polite and well presented. Somehow I must have caused her to feel that she had lost face, in order for her to react in such a way. Considering that this hotel is not priced as a "budget" hotel by any means (65 Euros per night - the noisy room at the front), then the service and facilities were definately substandard by a long way. Avoid at all costs or stay here at your peril...! :-)

Unique Quality: Tiny Accomodation

• planxty's Profile Photo

In a word - don't.

Having visited the country several times, I love Thailand, the Thai people and all things Thai. I thought, therefore, that a stay here would be a pleasant way to spend a night in Utrecht. I was sadly disappointed. Certainly, my decision was principally financial (the cheapest hotel I could find) and I wasn't expecting much. I received it in abundance!

Firstly, location. The hotel is situated in an uninteresting suburb quite a distance from the centre.

Paying in advance upon arrival (internet booking) I was charged more than the rate confirmed in advance. Admittedly, only a couple of Euros, but it wasn't a good start.

The room was spartan without so much as a water glass provided, and no towels.

The (shared) lavatory cubicle was so small I could not even sit comfortably on the toilet.

The (shared) shower room had a defective extractor fan, thereby rendering the place like a sauna after about a minute. I could hardly see!

I informed the guy that I would be late home and asked what the procedure was for getting in. He told me there was no problem as there was someone on duty all night. Arriving home on a freezing night, I was kept waiting on the doorstep by the same man, who was looking at me through the door! When he eventually admitted me he said he couldn't recognise me because it was dark outside. Of course it was dark, it was 2 in the morning. I stand 6'5" tall, and I think I'm fairly recognisable. I really don't know what his game was.

I don't like posting such a negative tip, but I really think it's justified in this case. As the title says - don't.

Unique Quality: None that I could see.

• leplaya's Profile Photo

There's a reason why it's called "Little"

Though their website shows a large room with two beds, their idea of a double room is not exactly that.

First, on entering the place, the ceiling was leaking, and they lost our reservation, but after a while managed to get us a room (after I showed a copy of our reservation). When we entered our room (our double room) we saw a 2 m by 3 meter room with a single bed. We informed the staff member that we reserved a double room, he laughed and said the second bed is under the single bed. So their idea of a double bed is a single bed with a mattress on the floor.
    When we decided we wanted to cancel our stay and try staying somewhere else, they said we couldn't because we had a reservation (even though they lost our reservation).

One other negative is that the rooms don't include a bath and the toilet room is so small that you can't sit straight on the toilet without hitting your knees on the wall.

Unique Quality: The one good thing about the place is it definitely is the cheapest place in Utrecht. One problem is that it is a little far from where everything is happening (about 20 min walk), but it is a short bus ride away. It is also in a very quiet part of town, so getting a night's sleep shouldn't be a problem.

• Masteve's Profile Photo

A Bit of Thailand in Utrecht

It is a budget hotel, situated a bit off the town centre but in a noisy street, the rooms are quite small, yet equipped with bathrooms, TV and even DVD player! The stairs are so steep that they seem to have been tailored to meet the Thai needs ;)

Unique Quality: The place is all but ordinary. It provides excellent Thai food and oriental atmosphere.
    The staff, however, speaks little English excluding the owner - Fabien.

Comments