Hotel Noordzee

Based on 8 reviews
Expedia.com Booking.com
Chiliweenie's Profile Photo

Worst Dutch Food Ever

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 5, 2005

katwijk ann zee is a beautiful sea side community with many beach pavilions, shopping. The town comes to the beach's edge which makes it convenient to hit the beach from your apartment/room.
Eateries vary, from the friterie on the corner to the somewhat imposing Nordzee Hotel. My apartment was just across the street. We gave it a try on a saturday night, filled with elderly Dutch folks. The atmostphere was pleasant although sterile; polished wooden tables and floors and red velvet upholstery and curtains. It reminded me of my mothers victorian home in New England, only a few grades on the cheap side. For dinner I played it safe and orderd the 'catch of the day' for 17 Euros and a bowel of onion soup for 3.5 Euros. My partner ordered the beef stroganoff and onion soup as well.
We are both food gourmets, and somewhat food snobs and my lover is an accomplised chef, so the bench mark is pretty high...
Normally, we are pretty forgiving when it comes to 'beach cuisine'.
I'll be frank about the food. It was the worst food I have eaten in Holland. Onion soup tasted as if it came from a box and who in the world uses dough instead of croutons in onion soup?? Where was the cognac?
Ok, so the catch of the day was an assortment of 5 different fish, I liked it, but it was not a new england fishermans plate. Small portions, over cooked, I could make it till breakfast....
The ugly moment came when my lover took one taste of the stroganoff and nearly gagged. It arrived with a puffy looking dough hat, but it could have been used as a frisbee, rock hard. The stroganoff itself was nasty as was the accompanying potato side dish. Did someone pour in a box of soap?? It was 'soapy'.
We called the waitor over, explained the problem and she neither would replace the meal or refund the amount paid for any of the 'slop', which came for about 60 Euros.

Directions: Seaside

Nearby Hotel Noordzee

Amenities at Hotel Noordzee

• Restaurant
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Katwijk aan Zee Travel Forum

Need advice about Katwijk aan Zee, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Katwijk aan Zee and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Katwijk aan Zee hotel reviews