Hotel Leiden

Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 2 reviews

Low Quality Services

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 4, 2007

Unfortunately my experience with the Van der Valk was not as pleasant. I had to travel to Leiden for about two and a half months and I stayed there. They do have large and quite clean rooms indeed and the restaurant is pretty good, although if you order the same dish twice it doesn't always happen that it contains the same ingredients.

However, the biggest problem I had every time I received the invoice was that I had asked them to put the invoice on the company, and they never did. Afterwards, they would check the system for five minutes every time and say that they cannot change it. They finally got the point for the last one of the invoices.

They would also send invoices up to my room after 6 nights (put on my name of course), claiming that the invoice would get too big otherwise, although I had guaranteed with my credit card and I had been staying there for more than a month already. Of course they could not change the invoice once it had been done... And there was never an apology for this. The last time the receptionist even told me with a disturbed smile "Well, I am sure your company will understand."

My conclusion is that it is a nice hotel, but the personnel still have to learn a lot of things about customer service. I believe that the four stars that it displays on the board are not deserved.

One last remark: for a hotel built last year the elevator looks too much like 50 years old.

I will travel to Leiden again the following months but I am not going to this hotel anymore.

rsilva's Profile Photo

Nice hotel not in the Center

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 13, 2004

When I moved to the Netherlands, I stayed at this hotel with an unpronounceable street name (you go ahead and say Haagsche Schouwweg!) for one and a half months and it was overall a quite enjoyable experience.
The hotel is quite modern, with clean, large rooms for dutch standards.
It is located in a quiet neighbourhood so if you need some rest it is a good place (the center of Leiden can be quite noisy).
It even has a good restaurant and the breakfast is quite OK also.

You will need a car in order to get anywhere, but there is (at least was) free parking at the hotel. It will take you 5 minutes to drive to the center (it is a good 20-30 minutes walking and there are usually no sidewalks) and you are also extremely close to the higway to Amsterdam.

The only problem was that sometimes when I cam back late (after 23.00) it would take a while before someone came to open the door.

Nearby Hotel Leiden

• Business Services
  • Pets Allowed
  • Continental Breakfast

Leiden Travel Forum

Need advice about Leiden, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Leiden and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Leiden hotel reviews