Oude Zeeweg 63, , Noordwijk aan Zee, Zuid-Holland
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Noordwijk aan Zee

How to get to Noordwijk aan ZeeHow to get to Noordwijk aan Zee

For fish has to swimFor fish has to swim

Flower bedsFlower beds

Hotel barHotel bar

Travel Tips for Noordwijk aan Zee

Beautiful Lady

by RoyJava

When we drive into direction of Noordwijk I enjoy my way passing this beautiful statue of an Dutch-Indies lady (whose Indo-European descendants are named "Indo"). It is a war-monument, but to me she is even more special because I've been born in the Dutch-Indies ... and I am an Indo, too. My parents have lost family and friends in the WW II. This kneeling down lady shows in a very modest way her alliance with the war-victims of the Dutch-Indies colony of Holland who gave their lives in freedom (1945-1950). Even there was some commotion about her topless body by officials ... they probably didn't know the women are dressed that way and walked around in "sarungs" in the Dutch-Indies. I am really fond of this Beatiful Lady Statue

Noordwijkerhout - Hart van de Bollenstreek

by csordila

After the first world war many poorly-fed hungarian children, among them also my father, were invited by dutch families. He spent several years at a warm-hearted family on a farm near Groningen. When he returned, told unforgettable fairy tales from the country of tulip fields, the windmills, the fishing boats, the clogs and from the wonderful milk, cheese and chocolate. He forgot the Dutch language soon, but the prayer Pater noster/Onzevader never!

In the late eighties a hungarian company has asked me, whether it would be worth, to buy a pricey machinery from a dutch company; at that time I suddenly remembered to father's long forgotten debt, and said yes.
With the owner, who lived in Noordwijkerhout, we became friends and spent many pleasant years together both in Noordwijkerhout and in Budapest. Unfortunately, he is no longer with us since years. I miss him very much.

The weather is unpredictable here, can be anything. Don't go looking for mountains or good beaches, there are far better stretches of sand elsewhere in Europe, but peace, beautyfull countryside and ............... friends!

Welcome to Noordwijk aan Zee

by yumyum

I first came to Noordwijk when I was about 10 years old for a beach holiday. We stayed in a bed and breakfast with my parents and my granddad. The Vuurtorenplein on the picture played an important role when I was there as a kid, as this was a busy place where to buy my then favourite fast food "Frikadellen". It's a big difference to see Noordwijk off season like on this visit. This time we walked here from Katwijk an Zee and then back again.

Noordwijk aan Zee was first settled by fishermen in the 15th century. In the 18th century the fishermen were restricted under Napoleon Bonaparte who feared that they would trade with England. The fishing industry declined further in the 19th century with even more restrictions from the new monarchy government. The last fishing boat left Noordwijk in 1913.

From 1866 the beach resort started to develop. First, it was only for the rich people who also visited the nearby flower farms when holidaying.

Today, you can find all kind of accomodation from Bed and Breakfast to 5 star hotels. When we were there the Dutch National Football team was just about to leave the 5 star hotel to be driven with police escort to their match in Amsterdam that evening.

Noordwijk town scenes

by Heinisuo

Hoofdstraat is the main shopping street in Noordwijk aan Zee.
Pretty quiet in Sunday morning (see the picture), but it gets suprisingly busy after 12 o'clock or so.
Hoofdstraat also leads you easily to Parallel Boulevard and furthermore to Koningin Wilhelmina Boulevard, which lies next to the beach and is full of hotels and restaurants.

There is also smaller "shopping street" in Noordwijk-Binnen side of Noordwijk, so you necessarily don't have to go to that tourist side of town, if you don't like it that way.

Comments