Bed & Bike Alberti

Priceline.com Booking.com eDreams

More about Rotterdam

Night Train For Schiphol About To LeaveNight Train For Schiphol About To Leave

Old Docks AreaOld Docks Area

A Proper Pub!A Proper Pub!

SS Rotterdam (Rotterdam Drydock Company)SS Rotterdam (Rotterdam Drydock Company)

Museum Week

by kittykat23

I am traveling to Rotterdam on April 4, 2009 which is Museum week! Never been to South Holland so I am looking forward to the trip. Since I arrive late on the 4th, I only have 1 day - Sunday April 5- for Museum week. Can someone recommend: If I can only see one museum on the 5th, which one should it be?

Thanks!

by Pijlmans

To see the participating museums, go here:

and type "Rotterdam" for "plaatsnaam".

Keep in mind that the museums will be extra busy this weekend...Maybe you want to be there early...

Cheers
Dennis

by ATLC

hi, I am a museum lover and know the museums in Rotterdam well.
In addition to the Maritime Museum, I suggest De Dubbelde Palmboom. A museum in the historical center of Delfshaven (Rotterdam).
A ticket to this museum also gives entrance to the Schielandhuis (which is at 5 minute walk from the Maritime museum).

Boijmans van Beuningen has excellent art exhibitions. The NAI (Dutch Achitecture Institute) is just across the road from Boijmans and includes a visit to one of the finest examples of Dutch art deco/modernistic villa's of which you can see photos on my Rotterdam page.

Arboretum Trompenburg is a park museum. It's a museum because the park houses one of Europe's finest collections of trees.

Not participating in the Museumweekend is my favourite museum: De Kunsthal (www.kunsthal.nl), across the park behind Boijmans.

Any other questions about Rotterdam I'd be happy to answer.
Enjoy!

by pieter_jan_v

More events at: http://www.rotterdam-marketing.nl/

PJ

Travel Tips for Rotterdam

Erasmusbrug

by bugulma

One of the main bridges is Erasmusbrug. Another name is Swan, why - you see the reason on the picture. The bridge was opened in 1996 by Queen Beatrix. The name is of Erasmus, the famous scholar of the middle ages.

modern city: cranescape

by call_me_rhia

Rotterdam is primarily a modern city - often also an experimental modern city. It's a city in the making, an everchanging city. And local people love it for it - especially they love the sight of the many building cranes scattered all over and around. I asked my friend to expain me why - he said they show that the city`s alive and growing. Meeting up with a wonderful old dear friend - who also acted as a wonderful city guide. Thanks Joost.

Finding Your Way Around

by johngayton

Despite all the modern Hi-Rise buildings Rotterdam is quite a simple city to navigate on foot. The streets are mostly laid out in a grid pattern and of course the river makes it almost impossible to get lost (unless of course you fall into it ;)). To make life even easier there are plenty of street signs pointing to the main attractions and these useful city maps which highlight the landmarks.

Cultural walking route.

by A2002

When we reached Park Hotel on the first day, we saw a board giving us a cultural walking route map. We marked it out on our map and followed the route. There was very few people on the streets. Perhaps it was Saturday and it is winter, so not many tourists in Rotterdam. There are things to see along the route, but... I prefer to go to more crowded places where I can see other people.
But it was nice to see the lakes in the park frozen. I saw a duck on the grass beside a frozen lake. I decided to scare it and chase after it. It waddled on the ice and it was very fun to see the duck slipping as it waddled on the slippery ice.

Not sure we ever found the...

by stefank60

Not sure we ever found the true centre of Rotterdam as there didn't seem to be much there.

Weather was dreadful grey and rainy. The best hot chocolate I have ever drunk anywhere - went back for a second one - this was in a shopping centre

Comments