Rotterdam Hotels

Our Members Say

My City Lofts: Brand new! Designer loft apartments

I just heard about this on the radio today. Personal designer lofts where you can stay from 2 nights to a maximum of 2 months. The photos on the website look really good. There is also a good description of the area and what you can do in Rotterdam.

Price per night is € 180. There are discounts from 7 nights and up.
The owner tells us it is meant for the independent traveler who wants to feel at home with all the privacy and luxury needed. Centrally located with nearby public transportation and plenty of shops and cafes when you step out the door.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Business Travel
  • Written July 10, 2008

ROOM Rotterdam: another hostel in Rotterdam

The cheapest bed at ROOM Rotterdam is € 18 (2007) in a 10-bed dorm. I haven't stayed here (because I live nearby) but it definitely needs to be in my Rotterdam tips, to give an accurate idea of cheapest accommodation in this city.

This hostel is ideally and excellently situated in the Scheepvaartkwartier (Shipping quarter) of town, near the river Maas, with plenty of restaurants and at walking distance from the center and major museums, including Euromast. You can go to the south bank by watertaxi easily too.
Also easily reachable from Central Station by metro (10 minutes walk) or tram (stops almost in front of the hostel).
The historical Scheepvaartkwartier is a beautiful area with many grand town houses and leafy lanes. The rooms at ROOM Rotterdam all have Rotterdam themes that will make you well acquainted with the city you are staying in.
Have fun!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Trains
  • Written August 28, 2007

• jmtredford profile photo jmtredford
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostel Boat The Clipper: Worst Hostel in the World, avoid at all costs

This is the worst hostel I have ever been to in my entire life. The directions to the boat were very poor and it took me over an hour to find it. When I eventually got there, I was greeted by the owners dog which kept barking and growling at me and wouldn't let me on the boat. When the receptionist eventually turned up, he was jaw-droppingly rude and said it my fault the dog was barking at me because "I was afraid of it". The computer for some reason deleted my reservation and although I had booked two nights there, I was only allowed there for one night. The rooms were completely squalid. The sink was blocked, the beds were tiny and cramped, there was water all over the floor, and I saw a little cockroach scuttle across it. The room was also extremely hot, even though it was a mild day outside.

Fortunately, I didn't spend long on this boat. The surly receptionist threw me out of the hostel because "I made a nasty comment about the dog" which was still barking and growling at me. I was very angry about this at first but actually he did me a favour. I went to another hostel in Rotterdam and slept in decent, clean accomodation for a lower price. I know the novelty of sleeping in a boat is a strong one, indeed that was the reason I booked it in the first place, but this place is absolutely awful. There's another Hostel Boat in Lubeck in Germany that is very pleasent and much better quality than this place. I've been to many hostels and this is by far the worst, and it's extremely expensive too. It should be avoided at all costs.

Squalid, Cramped, Hot, Surly owners, and aggressive dogs.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Study Abroad
  • Written September 23, 2006

• Airpunk profile photo Airpunk
  • Reviews: 2227

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mafkees Sleep-In: Number one for backpackers

If you don't expect too much, Mafkees is ideal for any backpacker visiting Rotterdam. Located near the central station, you will find most of Rotterdam's sights and attractions within walking distance. The Mafkees has two large dorms, a mixed one for over 100 travellers and a much smaller for females only. A bar offers drinks and some snacks. You can leave your luggage at a reception free of charge. Showers in the basement are spartanic but clean. Staff is very friendly!

De Mafkees is located in a former fabric / skating hall. It's above the Use-It information desk next to a children's playground. Anyway, I haven't seen a single child during the whole stay.

The price (10 € per night, including free breakfast) is outstanding as well as the location.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Trains
  • Written May 9, 2005
Tip Photo

The Mafkees is located in this building

• gaechka profile photo gaechka
  • Reviews: 64

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Stay Okay: Great friend climat!

I read at i-net about about that hostel.And had to stay in it. Guy from reception is nice and welcome. There is very cool friend climat. Some Rotterdam's people come to hostel just to drink beeras, to meet fun and interest people/ travellers.There r good bar/pub inside, good dinner room, and not bad brackfast. I like to awake early morning, drink cofe and to watch via window how Rotterdam awake! Great!
But shawer have to be more clean!

If i will visit Rotterdam again, i will stay at Hostel STAY OKAY again! I liked tima at this hostel a lot

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Camping, Budget Travel
  • Written February 18, 2005

• deeper_blue profile photo deeper_blue
  • Reviews: 1120

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Amar Hotel: Open late and on the cheap side

Amar Hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the train station, the place is comfortable and the staff are welcoming. The place is a little small with narrow stairs and small bathrooms, but its cheap so who's complaining.

• Written December 15, 2004

• curiosone profile photo curiosone
  • Reviews: 55

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Good spot

I've only spent one night here....as I can remember
it's not bad,even if it's not just in a central position
(we were by car...).
I'm able to remeber the comfortable,soft and huge
sofa in our room....

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written November 29, 2004

• mafkees profile photo mafkees
  • Reviews: 1
Mafkees: sleep and have breakfast for only 10 Euro

"Mafkees" (sorry it's not possible to translate, but is a sort of crazy sleeping beauty) is the sleep-in of Use-it Rotterdam. Our sleep-in is a basic accommodation which is clean and safe. It's situated in the center of Rotterdam only 200 meters from Central Station.
In De Mafkees you can relax at the bar and have a drink.
Off course it's a great place to meet other travelers and exchange experiences

We have our beds in 2 big dorms. One for women only (24 beds) and one in a mixed dorm (119 beds). Last but least we have our honeymoon suite. A private room wich you can't book up front but if it's free you can claim it when you check in. Their are e few rules however:
1. You have to be very much in love.
2. You have to kiss in public
3. You are only allowed to spend on night in our suite, the morning after you will have to move back to the dorm.
The good news is you still pay only 10 a night.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 28, 2003

mafkees rotterdam

• isolina_it profile photo isolina_it
  • Reviews: 546

Cube houses

The city of Rotterdam is not afraid to try something new and different. An example is the ‘cube houses’ located in the area called Blaak.

THE DESIGNER
The cube house, or pole house, is a design of the Dutch architect Piet Blom (1934-1999). The construction of the 38 cube houses started in 1982 and was completed in 1984. Blom thought of his design as an abstract tree and of the total complex as a wood. A cube house reminds of a tree hut that is accessible through the pole.

THE CONCEPT
Blom’s idea was to create a kind of village within a city. On street level, several public activities take place in small businesses, shops, school and on a playground. The living is done in the cube houses upstairs, thus combining the public with the private.
The complex is in fact a pedestrian bridge arching the street below. Blom was asked by the municipal town planners to ‘furnish’ this bridge. In a sense, the cube houses are an architectonic experiment, in which Blom considered form, aesthetics and spatial effects more important than functionality and practical purpose.

THE SURROUNDINGS
The cube looks as if it is tilted and placed with one point on a pole, so that three sides are facing the ground and the other three are facing the sky.
Close to the cube houses you will see the pencil-shaped ‘Potlood’ (Pencil), a residential building also designed by Blom.

Near the cube houses is a docking area in the oldest harbor of Rotterdam, the popular Oude (Old) Haven. Historic vessels are brought here for repairs or reconstruction.

• Written May 12, 2003
Tip Photo

• call_me_rhia profile photo call_me_rhia
  • Reviews: 4282

hotel bienvenue: affordable accommodation near the station

The hotel is to be considered a budget hotel. It''s a correct hotel for its price: it''s clean, very central at the back of the train station in a very quiet alley overlooking a canal, and the owners are nice and helpful.

The room was good - not big but not tiny either - and it had a television, alarm clock and hairdryer. It''s not a fancy place - then again I was not looking for one - but it was very convenient and friendly.

• Written November 6, 2002

hotel bienvenue

• Rixie profile photo Rixie
  • Reviews: 386

High Rise Exchange

We did a home exchange with a Dutch family. While they were in our one-story house in California, we were enjoying the panoramic views from their Rotterdam highrise apartment. Thanks, Arie, Lenie, and Marlon!
Check out www.HomeExchange.com and www.homelink.org

All the comforts of home, plus great views of the city and the River Maas.

• Written September 23, 2002
Tip Photo

The view from our exchange apartment

• zheyy profile photo zheyy
  • Reviews: 156

This Youth Hotel locates not far away from the railway station. Good facilities, neat and reasonable price. You can enjoy good and free breakfast :).

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written September 12, 2002

List of hotels in Rotterdam

Seems useful to add this list so you can research yourself.
I've stayed in a few myself and I know the locations of most quite well. That is because I work in Rotterdam and also because some years ago I made a booking system for the Rotterdam Tourist Office for conferences up to 2500 international participants. And then I booked them all for the first conference after the system was implemented. Test went well, I must say. And it added to my knowledge of where the hotels are located :-)

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written August 26, 2002

• Kozzmozz profile photo Kozzmozz
  • Reviews: 342

Hotelboat De Clipper: Hotelboat De Clipper

ƒ 39,75/$17 (without breakfast)
ƒ 49,50/$23 (with breakfast)

Sleeping in a bunk on a boat in the middle of Rotterdam

• Written August 25, 2002

• SANVAN profile photo SANVAN
  • Reviews: 68

If you would like to stay in...

If you would like to stay in Rotterdam there are a large number of attractive possibilities for accommodation for you to choose from. There are hotels in various categories, camping sites and guesthouses. Given that the distances between the eight cities in which the matches are to be played are relatively short (up to a maximum of 3 hours travelling), it is a good idea for you to book your accommodation in one place. And from Rotterdam you can reach all of the other cities and attractions relatively easily.

• Opinion of Price: