Presteveien 3, Kirkenes, 9900, Norway
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Kirkenes

Use one of these machinesUse one of these machines

John Savio paintingsJohn Savio paintings

The sign says it allThe sign says it all

So long, Hurtigruten!So long, Hurtigruten!

I do not want to miss the boat

by nhegna

Jeg reiser: We are flying into KKN ( arrival scheduled for 11:00 ) and need to get to Hurtigruten Terminal to board ( boat leaves at 12:30 ) neste tirsdag

We do not want to 'buy' a taxi ...
can we take a bus to city center or to a Hotel and then take a taxi or bus to the terminal? Nar gar den forste bussen til hurtigruten ?
please help - grandpa is 91 and is unable to walk more than 2KM !

Re: I do not want to miss the boat

by HansDK

Only possibility is going by taxi. No airport bus at Kirkenes.

Re: I do not want to miss the boat

by angiebabe

Its only a few minutes really - I am pretty sure I did see when buses when I was there but why wouldnt you want to catch a taxi for your 91 yr old grandpa - I think youre probably having a laugh if youre saying those are your only options - either bus or walk 2km? - esp when theres at least 2 of you. and you do want to arrive right at the Hirtugruten Terminal or do you want to walk the 2km from town to the boat?

all the best to your grandpops!

Travel Tips for Kirkenes

A journey with a Hurtigruten ship

by 78Eva

I was so fortunate as to have the chance, during my year in Norway, to do an internship on the MS Kong Harald for about two weeks. I had a little berth on the ship, ate with the crew and worked about six hours every day. For that, I got the trip for free. I had to do all kinds of tasks, washing up, serving food, selling postcards etc. There was enough time left to stroll the ship, sit on the upper deck which has all glass windows so you can enjoy the landscape, or look at the cities you stop at. Many times, in smaller places, the ships will only stop for an hour or so, but in places like Trondheim you will have about six hours. Of course you need to be back on the ship in time!
I saw marvelous places, the more north we got, the more exciting! Sometimes there would just be an icy coast for a long time without houses to be seen. I liked Hammerfest. Kirkenes definitely felt a long way from home! You were practically in Russia! Something magical in the evenings that we got to enjoy quite a few times was the northern lights in the sky. I did the trip in February so it was the right time to see them. Spooky!
When we had crossed the arctic circle, two of the cooks gave me the traditional "polar baptism", i.e. they poured a pitcher of ice water and ice cubes down my back. Ahhh!
Doing an internship on the ship was fun, interesting, and for me really the only way to pay for the trip since it is very expensive. If you can afford it, it is absolutely worth it, though. I think those internships are very hard to get, a teacher at my Norwegian school organized them for a few students every year.

Viewpoint Height 96 in Pasvik valley

by 2rs

Located in Svanvik 45 km from Kirkenes you will find the 96 høyden where you'll be able to see the city of Nikel.
The tower is an old military viewpoint an is located on 96 meters with a great view of the Passvik valley and the landscaped on the russian side of the border.

Boris Gleb chapel

by globetrott

The Boris Gleb chapel is a tiny church at the end of the valley and it is of special importance for the Russians and what I remember is that the tourguide told us that just in order to have this church on the russian territory, they gave quite a large piece of land to the Norwegian. You might see the onion of the church in my photo, when you enlarge it.
We could not get any closer to it and so I had to cut out this photo and enlarge it.
In my last photo you can see the chapel on a postcard, that you can buy at the russian border in the souvenir-shop !

Kirkenes

by Maria_75

My grandmother is originally from Kirkenes, but moved to Oslo when she was 18 years old. We still have family that lives there, but unfortunately I have only been to Kirkenes a few times in my life.

It takes almost 3 hours in plane from Oslo where I live. You can also go driving but it will take at least one day non-stop driving through Sweden and Finland.

But I promise you that I will soon go back there to explore my roots! :)

Comments