Kirkenes Snowhotel

Kongensgate 1-2, Postbox 200, Kirkenes, 9915, Norway

More about Kirkenes

Kirkenes Høybuktmoen AirportKirkenes Høybuktmoen Airport

The E6 is for cars (not moose)The E6 is for cars (not moose)

Soviet WarplaneSoviet Warplane

View from the ship (before we were kicked off)View from the ship (before we were kicked off)

Kirkenes/Murmansk/Finland in April

by deeper_blue

For travel in April from Russia to Norway and down through Finland, whats the best way to do it? I heard about the bus from Murmansk to Kirkenes costs about 20 euros one way I think, but then onwards to Finland (Ivalo?) is this possible in April. Also what's the climate like here and the costs? (note it should be done completely overland)

Re: Kirkenes/Murmansk/Finland in April

by rjsol

April is winter (snow, still cold) in the North.

Re: Kirkenes/Murmansk/Finland in April

by FletteMette

I believe the Kirkenes - Ivalo bus operates in summer only (from June until August), see http://www.eskelisen-lapinlinjat.com/en/index.php?komento=hakutulos&osumat=99&id=5&lahto=Kirkenes&maaranpaa=Ivalo&ajankohta=

The climate? In April, expect snow and pretty chilly weather.. ;o) Try www.yr.no for weather statistics and reports.

Travel Tips for Kirkenes

E-mail

by o00o

From here, the staff of ticketing counter was too kind enough, because they allowed me to use their computer for E-mail checking, not only this but the contact with the Honningsvag Trevel Agency for transportation arrangement and confirmation.

The landscape around Kirkenes

by globetrott

You will see a lot of ugly traces of the mining-industry around Kirkenes, but you will see some lovely vegetation as well, especially in autumn like in my 1st picture. I made this photo on the way to the russian border.
In my 3rd and 4th photo you will see the artificial hills of the mining-industry, I am afraid its a desaster for nature.

World War

by o00o

Finland lost Petsamo during the battles of the 1939/40 winter campaign, at which point Norway gained a 196 kom border with Russia. When Germany attacked Russia in June of 1941, the Austrian general, Dietl, advanced with its army of occupation from Kirkenes in Norway towards Murmansk.

End of the Line

by travelfrosch

""Welcome to Kirkenes. Please leave the ship.""

Our coastal steamer arrived in Kirkenes at 10AM. We were required to vacate our cabin by 9:30. We were asked to leave the ship immediately upon arrival at port. The line by Apu from "The Simpsons" came to mind: "Please pay for your purchases and get out and come again!"

"The Town"

Kirkenes is a bit more welcoming. There's a hardworking tourist office downtown. In addition, there are a couple of modest sights, a museum, and some nice views to be had if you climb the hill.

Here, you have a nice view of the fjord as the Coastal Steamer, reloaded with paying passengers, begins its return voyage to Bergen.

"Where Are We?"

Well, we made it to our final destination. It's certainly a long way from just about anywhere, with the exception of Boris Gleb, Russia. Fortunately, there's an airport nearby with flights to Oslo. On this page, I'll list some impressions of Kirkenes we got during our 10 hour layover between steamer arrival and plane departure. Enjoy!

Comments