Rica

Pasvikvn 63,Box 40, Kirkenes, N 9901, NO

More about Kirkenes

rainbow in the air on our way to the airportrainbow in the air on our way to the airport

World War II "pill box"World War II "pill box"

Finnmark FountainFinnmark Fountain

We've come a long way...We've come a long way...

Driving from Kirkenes to Murmansk

by mbennet48

I would appreciate some advice about driving from Kirkenes to Murmansk this August, please? Are the signs in English? How do I get a map of Murmansk for driving? Any problems getting fuel? What roads do I take? I understand that the military road is sometimes closed. From where would I rent a car in Kirkenes?

Re: Driving from Kirkenes to Murmansk

by Gili_S

Maps you can get in stores and you can check on-line maps as well. Roads on the Russian side are not well maintained. However, I am almost sure you cannot take Norwegian rental car over to the Russian side.

Re: Driving from Kirkenes to Murmansk

by mbennet48

I just talked to Avis. They say we can rent a car and drive it to Murmansk. If you have done this, what language is on the signposts please?

Travel Tips for Kirkenes

Welcome to Kirkenes

by travelfrosch

Certainly Kirkenes does its part to make you feel welcome. If you're arriving by air (or by road along the E6), you will be greeted by a huge "Welcome to Kirkenes" sign. If you didn't know it was there, and you want to thank me... you're welcome.

Welcome to my home

by Sue08080

This Sami tent was the location for our evening of dinner and entertainment. There was a large fire in the center with benches around the entire perimeter. Reindeer was the main course, cooked on the fire and passed around to all.

It was dark and dusky inside the huge tent. The entire evening was unlike anything I had ever experienced.

The Russian-Norwegian Border

by o00o

Despite the unstable conditions on the eastern side, the Russian-Norwegian border hasn?ft changed. When Finland became independent in 1919, it was allowed free access to the coast at the port of Petsamo. The port is located some 20 km from the border, to the east of Grense Jakobselv.

Cold War

by o00o

During the Cold War the border was strongly guarded, until the dissolution of the Soviet Union led to relatively normal border relations between Norway and Russia. The old roads have now been reopened and boat routes to Murmansk have been established.

Comments