Augustin

Booking.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 15% higher than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Bergen

view to old town of bergenview to old town of bergen

Aquarium Bergen1Aquarium Bergen1

Bergen's center viewed from FloyenBergen's center viewed from Floyen

Bergen (Norway), Bergen Public LibraryBergen (Norway), Bergen Public Library

From Bergen to Odda

by Fernandocramos

Hi, my name is Fernando and Im from Brazil. I will be in Bergen during july 15-18. Me and my wife would like to visit:
- the Buer glacier http://www.opplevodda.com/blue-ice-hike-on-the-buer-glacier/
- a journey to Trolls Tongue http://www.opplevodda.com/tyssoviaferrata-trolltunga-and-preikestolen/
but we have some questions
- Do we need klibing experience to do that ?, we are in good shape but we never klimbed yet, just rappel.
Does this excursion departs from Bergen ? If not how do I go from Bergen to Odda ? how long it is ? we should leave Bergen a day before ?
Cause we will meet friends in Odda that have car and them we depart to Gerainger and Trondhein.
- How can I go to Odda to meet them ?
- We also intend to do TyssoViaFerrata - Trolltunga and Preikestolen. Anyone did it before ? Do we achieve the top of the hill at Troll tongue ?
Thanks in advance
Fernando - Brasil

Hello from Bergen!
To get to Odda, you can use the local buses (nr. 930 from the bus station) or rent a car. It takes at least 3 hours, and you have to pass the Hardagnerfjord by ferry.
the places you mentioned are accessible by path, and the most important is to dress for all types of weather and use proper footwear. I'm not familiar with that particular glacier, but if you plan to hike the glacier, you should use a guide as they can be dangerous. The Tourist office in Odda (or Bergen) can give you details about that.

by Fernandocramos

Hi Darth, thanks for your answer.
I changed my plans, if I want to do glacier trip I have to arrive in Bergen one day before. So my new plan is :
14 - take flight to Bergen, arrive in the city at 10:00 visit city during day, sleeping in Bergen
15 - “The Sognefjord in a nutshell” Take cruise to Flam stay in Flan and know the city, sleeping in Flam
16 - To Nigardsbreen from Flåm ,walk through the glacier and back to Flam, sleeping in Flam
17 - Exit Flam with the previous tour , take Flamsbana at 14:50 train back to Bergen through Myrdal, sleeping in Bergen
18 - Meet our friends in Bergen and drive to Odda, Trolls Tunga, Geiranger and Trondhein
Im trying to find a resonable hotel in Flan, but all the cheap ones are crowded.
I found Laerdal Hotel (1195nok)but I was looking one around 800/900. Can you suggest a hotel in Flan ?
Thanks again

by daarth

Flåm is a very tiny village with a few houses and a couple of hotels, so I'm afraid you won't find many alternatives. Lærdal you mentioned is quite some ways away. But you can do the nutshell tour in one day taking the train from Bergen to Myrdal, and then the Flåm train down to Flåm. Best done that direction. Then take fjord boat from Flåm to Gudvangen (the Nærøyfjord is on the UNESCO list), and the bus from Gudvangen to Voss. From there train back to Bergen. If you start early, you can do it in a day. Alternative hotel in Voss that is a bigger place.

Travel Tips for Bergen

Internet Access at The Library

by AnnS

If you are travelling without a laptop and need to send a quick e-mail, Bergen Library has computers that are free to use. There are not many of them so you may have to wait for a while but it's a very useful facility.

The Library is close to the Railway Station in the east of the city centre.

Charm and Atmosphere:

Bergen...

by avdb1948

Charm and Atmosphere:

Bergen is a city surrounded by mountains, a real city but with old world charm and atmosphere, wooden houses, narrow alleyways, a busy harbour, and a whiff of salty sea in the air.
Bergen is cosmopolitan, and rich in tradition and history.
It's easy to see why those who are far from their beloved city get so homesick. Bergen is the gateway to the world-famous fjords and offers you a wonderful combination of pulsating city life and unforgettable fjords.
The choise is yours.

Northern Exposure

by yooperprof

It was the Bergen Festival which brought me to Norway's second largest city. I was very impressed with the variety and quality of the numerous cultural events on hand. I would strongly recommend anyone interested in visiting Bergen to time your trip to coincide with the Festival - it's a good time to see the place at its best.

The tourist office

by daarth

The tourist office is a smart place to visit for the traveller. Here you get all the info you need about places to see and all the practical things.

There is also another good reason to visit this place. It is an old bank building with a spectacular decoration of wall frescos (I think that is what they call it). Even if you don’t need any travel info, take a trip inside and feel the atmosphere. I lived in Bergen for many years before I discovered this pearl.

If you come by car you should...

by daarth

If you come by car you should visit the many surrounding islands near Bergen. Many are connected by bridge and worth the trip. Bus connections are also good.
On the west there is Askøy and Sotra/Øygarden. To the South there is Austevoll, Tysnes and Stord (all these by ferry). And to the North there is Meland and Radøy. To the Northeast there is actually an island too called Osterøy. If I am correct this is Europe's largest inland island!

Comments