Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz Bergen

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Poor experience

-The day we arrived, in late afternoon, our room on the sixth floor under the eaves was sweltering. I asked at the desk how we could cool the room, and was told that it was the sun’s effects and as soon as the sun went down it would improve quickly. The desk clerk was no help, for it remained hot after the sun went down. In searching I discovered that the bathroom floor was heated; someone had turned its controlling thermostat up to the highest point.
    -The shower nozzle in our bathroom swiveled uncontrollably. I spoke to another desk clerk who said the plumber was not available until next morning but that she’d leave a note so that he’d make the repair then. In two days no one came to make the repair.
    -The posted time that the breakfast room opens was 7 AM. But on Saturday evening before our next morning departure, upon chatting with the desk clerk, we discovered that on Sunday it doesn’t open till 8 AM. She said it was the hotel’s policy because “no one comes down to breakfast that early on Sunday.” That’s doubtful, because many visitors book the popular ‘Norway in a Nutshell’ tour, whose standard daily schedule includes an early train that leaves at 8:40 AM. Our rail tickets were for that trip, and many other tourists take the 8:40 AM train every day.
    Therefore, although we were paying for it we would not have time to eat breakfast at the hotel. I suggested that, since we two were unable to dine then and still make the train we should not have to pay for it. The desk clerk agreed and printed out a bill that showed a deduction of 130 kroner (for the missed breakfast). A month later when I reviewed my credit card bill the amount charged by Thon Hotel Rosenkranz showed itself to include the breakfast cost. In other words, despite the amount being deducted on the statement given to me, it was not deducted from the amount charged me by the hotel.
    I wrote to Thon Hotel Headquarters, the Olav Thon Group, Stenersgata 2, Postboks 489 Sentrum 0105 Oslo, and included photocopies of both the printout I’d received and my credit card bill, and did not receive a reply.
    I did not contact my credit card company because the money cost was trivial. Very likely it would arrange credit for the breakfast charge, but it was the series of irritations that affected me and prompted me to write to headquarters. I post this account to help others avoid them.

Directions: Near the Bryggen

• Good place, but can be noisy at nighttime

My husband and I just stayed 4 nights in this hotel. We asked for a non smoking room, the receptionist said "sure", but the room "smelled" smoke. We decided not to bother anyway, but it was a bit unpleasant. The other thing is the nightclub very close to the hotel. One night we only slept for 3 hours because of the noise from the nightclub. If you get a room overlooking Rosenkrantz street you might experience this.
    The breakfast was good, but they had way too little staff there. With busloads of tourist groups coming in the afternoon and a lot of people having breakfast in the morning, it almost seemed like an unexpected event to the hotel. No coffe cups at times, not enough tables, no coffe and so on.
    The room and bathroom was clean. Not very cosy, but we do not spend a lot of time in the room so that is OK with us.

Unique Quality: The location is this hotel`s best quality, right beside Bryggen.

More about Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz Bergen

Hotel in bergen

by danjac

Hi everyone,

We will rent a car at the Bergen airport for 1 week. Our final destination is Aurland. Which hotel do you recommend in Bergen for 1 night. Easy access to downtown and not too difficult to get overnight parking. FYI, early June 2010 is the date for this trip.

Re: Hotel in bergen

by jims99

My wife and I stayed at the Clarion Hotel Admiral. Reasonably priced, and great location - right on Vagen waterway (the harbor), and across from Bryggen (main attractions, museums). Bergen is relatively small and very walkable. Be sure to ride the finucular - fantastic view from atop.
Not sure about parking.
Enjoy trip, Jim

Re: Hotel in bergen

by daarth

The Clarion Hotel Admiral only has a few parking spots, so I would check up on availability. But several hotels in different price ranges have their own garages. On the upper range is the Radisson SAS Royal Hotel Bryggen. The Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz in the middle range

Comments