Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz Bergen

See Amenities

Poor experience

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 9, 2009

-The day we arrived, in late afternoon, our room on the sixth floor under the eaves was sweltering. I asked at the desk how we could cool the room, and was told that it was the sun’s effects and as soon as the sun went down it would improve quickly. The desk clerk was no help, for it remained hot after the sun went down. In searching I discovered that the bathroom floor was heated; someone had turned its controlling thermostat up to the highest point.
-The shower nozzle in our bathroom swiveled uncontrollably. I spoke to another desk clerk who said the plumber was not available until next morning but that she’d leave a note so that he’d make the repair then. In two days no one came to make the repair.
-The posted time that the breakfast room opens was 7 AM. But on Saturday evening before our next morning departure, upon chatting with the desk clerk, we discovered that on Sunday it doesn’t open till 8 AM. She said it was the hotel’s policy because “no one comes down to breakfast that early on Sunday.” That’s doubtful, because many visitors book the popular ‘Norway in a Nutshell’ tour, whose standard daily schedule includes an early train that leaves at 8:40 AM. Our rail tickets were for that trip, and many other tourists take the 8:40 AM train every day.
Therefore, although we were paying for it we would not have time to eat breakfast at the hotel. I suggested that, since we two were unable to dine then and still make the train we should not have to pay for it. The desk clerk agreed and printed out a bill that showed a deduction of 130 kroner (for the missed breakfast). A month later when I reviewed my credit card bill the amount charged by Thon Hotel Rosenkranz showed itself to include the breakfast cost. In other words, despite the amount being deducted on the statement given to me, it was not deducted from the amount charged me by the hotel.
I wrote to Thon Hotel Headquarters, the Olav Thon Group, Stenersgata 2, Postboks 489 Sentrum 0105 Oslo, and included photocopies of both the printout I’d received and my credit card bill, and did not receive a reply.
I did not contact my credit card company because the money cost was trivial. Very likely it would arrange credit for the breakfast charge, but it was the series of irritations that affected me and prompted me to write to headquarters. I post this account to help others avoid them.

Directions: Near the Bryggen

Good place, but can be noisy at nighttime

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 3, 2007

My husband and I just stayed 4 nights in this hotel. We asked for a non smoking room, the receptionist said "sure", but the room "smelled" smoke. We decided not to bother anyway, but it was a bit unpleasant. The other thing is the nightclub very close to the hotel. One night we only slept for 3 hours because of the noise from the nightclub. If you get a room overlooking Rosenkrantz street you might experience this.
The breakfast was good, but they had way too little staff there. With busloads of tourist groups coming in the afternoon and a lot of people having breakfast in the morning, it almost seemed like an unexpected event to the hotel. No coffe cups at times, not enough tables, no coffe and so on.
The room and bathroom was clean. Not very cosy, but we do not spend a lot of time in the room so that is OK with us.

Unique Quality: The location is this hotel`s best quality, right beside Bryggen.

Nearby Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz Bergen

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Bergen Travel Forum

Need advice about Bergen, Norway? Visit the Travel Forum for Bergen and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bergen hotel reviews

Surrounding areas
Hardangerfjord
Consert
Nightlife
Fantoft Stavkirke (Stave church)
Sandviken
Fish Market
History and facts
17th of May
Local Customs
Floibane the only cable car in scandinavia
Hanseatic Museum