Noring Pensjonat

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Voss

CHURCH STEEPLE UNDER ROOF REPAIR IN VOSSCHURCH STEEPLE UNDER ROOF REPAIR IN VOSS

It's all getting very serious!!It's all getting very serious!!

Having a break by the lakesideHaving a break by the lakeside

All the rafts togetherAll the rafts together

When Does the Serious Weather Arrive?

by TheSingingPostman

Would it be crazy of me to visit Voss in the first half of December to go hiking in the forests? I mean, if I arrive in three weeks' time, will the first heavy snow already have fallen, making forest walking impossible? And if the snow hasn't arrived yet, will it nevertheless be VERY VERY COLD during the day, making hiking a miserable experience? If anyone can advise me, I'd be very grateful. I'd hate to waste my money by booking myself onto the ferry in advance, only to find most of Hordaland buried under snow when I arrived (or being drenched by freezing rain).

by ruffen

I'v never been to Voss - but I live in Norway and here the weather can change drastical over night!! :)

It could be one typ of weather for weeks and just when you arrive it have "turned".

So far it have been mild most in part of Norway this fall/early winter.

You better follow the weather there by looking at one of those huge weather internet pages and see how it are/changes day by day.

by geigen

This is true at any given moment you be buried under snow or drenched by freezing rain. That said, its been pretty nice so far and the heavy snows are usually after Christmas. If it does snow just turn you forest walks into a forest ski tour!

by FletteMette

...and it is rarely VERY VERY COLD in Voss - the average temperature for December is -2,7C, that's not too bad is it?:o) It isn't very likely that *all* of Hordaland is buried under snow, we really don't get *that* much snow in this area of Norway. That said, Voss (being inland) does of course get a lot more snow than Bergen and the islands. (And it's quite likely to be snowy in the mountains near Voss)

Like the others said, the weather changes very quickly in Norway (and the weather has really been completely crazy the last few years!) so it is pretty much impossible to say what the weather is likely to be like in December...:o)

Hmm we're not really helping here, are we...:o))

by TheSingingPostman

Hmmmm.....Thanks for your input, folks. Sounds as if I'd be pushing my luck if I booked three weeks in advance, doesn't it? (The online weather forecasts only cover 4 or 5 days and they keep on changing their minds anyway, so really ANYTHING could happen weather-wise to ruin my plans.) I should've come in November to be safe...

Maybe I should go to Denmark and walk in Rold Skov or Gribskov instead....I don't think they have heavy snow lying on the ground for months at a time liuke in Norway. (But hey, Denmark is just too flat, isn't it?)

by FletteMette

You know, the weather has been unusually mild this year and the temperature at Voss today is 10C. (And it's supposed to rain...:op) I don't think there will be lots of snow at Voss in a few weeks time (but of course, I don't *know*..:o) - rain sounds a lot more likely... but that's not much fun either, is it?:o)

by FletteMette

...but if you want to go hiking in Norway in December, you should probably have a *plan B* - something you'd like to do if the weather isn't great...:o)

by daarth

We don't have the type of forests that you can "walk in" like you find in central europe. It is more comon to hike on mountain trails outside the forrests. I'm afraid that december is not a good month for that. There would be too little snow to support you, or it would simply be to wet to be enjoyable. But of course, for the hard-core hiker, anything is possible!

by Jello_B

As other people has already told you, there is realy no forest to walk in on Voss. You go on top of the mountains, and they are snowy now. So the only way to walk is with skies on your feet..

If you follow this link, http://www.bt.no/kamera/article196248.ece?lang=en you will see how it is in Voss sentrum right now. But keep in mind, this is the centre of Voss, situated only 57 above sea level. The mountains are from around 800 meters and up.. On the mountains in Voss city centre there is now 45 cm of snow, and in Myrkdalen, one of the possible hiking areas there are right now 1 meter of snow.

And yes, there can be realy,realy cold there. I have personaly experienced minus 36 degrees celsius there in december.

So, if you to to Voss, bring your downhil equipment

by TheSingingPostman

-28 degrees is a bit too cold even for me (a confirmed hater of summer). I'm not about to risk a Scott-of-the-Antarctic experience, so it looks like it's Denmark for me, then. But why does Rold Skov have to be so low-lying? (And why does the tourist info call it steep and hilly? I guess it's like hills in the Netherlands - noticeable to the Dutch, but only pimples if you're from Scotland.)

I went walking in the woods at Voss in October, fancied going back for more....but obviously not a good idea. I suppose Smaland in Sweden will be just as snow-prone as Voss, yes?

by daarth

You already found some woods to walk in, in Voss? I have never noticed them!
I doubt you will find -28° this year. At the moment we have +12° here on the west coast. That and tons of rain along with the rest of Scandinavia. I bet you have it over in Scotland too!

by daarth

btw, you should write a travel tip about this woods!!
;-)

Travel Tips for Voss

Rafting!

by inawic

Voss with its many rivers has excellent rafting opportunities. And the rainy weather that often appears in this part of Norway, is only a pro!

Whether you are a beginner or trained, Voss has got a river suitable for you! River water is cold! In summertime you may manage with a swimsuit, but I prefer to use wool under my wet suit.

Wet suit, shoes, life west and helmet is provided by your rafting center.

Stunning, elegant Viking babes :)

by Durfun

"The lady of Fleichers Hotel"

Wow, she was awesome. Looked great in her white outfit, ever so polite & well-mannered :)

She was certainly the highlight of the day.

Sorry, no photos for you, this one will have to be for my eyes only ;)

"Well located train station"

You can see the mountains in the background, and a fjord at the front.

I wandered out, and bought a lovely souvenir locally made out of local slate. The map of Norway is etched out in raised form, with a lovely inscription: 'Norway: Top of Europe'. Isn't that lovely?

"Getting there from the ferry stop by bus"

The route taken is very scenic, offering numerous photo opportunities.

This turned out to be a very fun thing to do, we that we took the train from Oslo to Myrdal with a lovely photo stop in Finse, then we took the Flamsbana to Flam. From there we took the most awe-inspiring ferry ride on one of the branches of Sognefjord. At the end of the two hour breathtaking excursion we disembarked to take the 50 minute bus ride to Voss.

From Voss, we took a train to bright, warm & sunny Bergen.

Voss

by inawic

"Voss"

Voss is situated about 1 hour from Bergen, which is Norway's second largest city. Voss is the place to be if you're into activities like skiing, snowboarding, rafting, rappelling and so on. This is the hometown of the world famous freestyle skier Kari Traa!

Bonio's visit to Voss

by bonio

Voss was our home for 4 nights. We were there in May, possibly not the best time to visit - winter had finished and summer not begun - still, in a beautiful locatiion, lots to see if not to do at that time of year!

Comments