Euro Hotel Havna

Good For No Data

More about Svolvær

Svolvaer, Lofoten, NOSvolvaer, Lofoten, NO

Svolvaer, Lofoten, NOSvolvaer, Lofoten, NO

The rorbuer in contextThe rorbuer in context

Anker Brygge (white building, right of centre)Anker Brygge (white building, right of centre)

What to see and do?

by CaptainNels

We will be in Svolvaer for one day (January 18) before we jump on the Hurtigruten. What is ther to do near by?

by mooselet

When I last had time to spare in Svolvaer in the winter I enjoyed a walk across the bridge to Svinøya. It is very interesting to watch the fish being prepared and put on the fish-drying racks, but I'm not sure exactly when the fishing season starts; my visit was later than mid-January and I would also have had more daylight. I continued the walk past the racks all the way to the breakwater at the harbour entrance, with the statue of a fish-wife which is such a feature of arriving and leaving Svolvaer by sea. Great views looking back over the town with the backdrop of mountains.

There are many small art galleries in Svolvaer, but I don't know what might be open in January.

by deptlads

Hi!

There is not a great deal to do in Svolvaer itself, and that time of year there will be hardly any daylight.

If it is dark and dismal, head for the Anker Brygge pub on the small island in the harbour (walk over the little footbridge) - very cosy with large open fires, and seems to be open when everything else in Svolvaer is closed (as was the case on the Sunday in mid-May when we were there).

regards

Andrew

by FletteMette

You'll find a little info (and some nice photos) here: http://www.svolvaer.net/engelsk_index.html

(Haha I see they've decided to call Svolvær "City of lights" (!!!) - I'd say that's *slightly* over the top for a place with "approximately 4.120 inhabitants"...;o)

Travel Tips for Svolvær

Not long enough in Svolvaer

by davidcross

"Arrival"

We had been all the way on the Coastal voyage north from Bergen to Kirkenes. When we passed through part of Lofoten, including Svolvaer, it was belting down with rain and visibility was dreadful. That makes it particularly fortunate that we'd booked to leave the southern bound voyage at Svolvaer and spend two nights there.
Our only mistake was that our one full day was 1 May and they take Labour Day very seriously. There is only a Sunday service on the buses, which in Svolvaer means no service!

Comments