Mitt Hotel

Satisfaction Poor

More about Moss

Ferries

by manuna

I'm planning my initiary through Norway. Could you please help me with ferries?
We are travelling by car. The first ferry on my route will be Moss-Horten. The question is: if I pay for the car, must I pay for each of the passangers in it?
What will be the amount I am to pay: 73 (for the car) or 73 + 28*2 +14*2 ?
The other question is: will there be long queues in August? I can avoid this ferry. Because it saves me 40 minutes, but if I have to wait (due to the schedule or queue) and pay for both car and passangers the I'd rather go the other way. Or am I wrong and missing something?

by daarth

The car only includes the driver. You have to pay per person extra, and this is normal on ferries all over Norway.
I'm not sure about queues as I haven't used it in a long time, but I imagine only during rush time.
But there is always the main road that goes through Oslo, or you can drive the Oslofjord tunnel halfways between the ferry and Oslo. It's a toll road costing 55,-

by manuna

Thank you, you answered even my coming question :)

by evaanna

There is a tip on that ferry on my Telemark page. It was really worth taking it, imo.

by manuna

Thank you, I'll think about it from that point of view. Though we will be coming from Goteborg, not that long drive. But you comments on driving there made me think, whether I need a car there or may be better take a tour:) I thought such things are impossible in Scandinavia or Germany.

by evaanna

You can see much more in Norway if you have a car at your disposal, and not just what the package tourists see. And you can stay on campsites (for instance in cabins), which are much cheaper than hotels. If there are more of you, you will save even more as you pay per cabin not per person.

by hexelein

Depending on where you are going, you can substitute the ferry from Moss to Horten with the ferry from Strömstad to Sandefjord. It's a longer (2,5 hrs) ferry trip, but it's quite popular amongst the locals, due to the tax free shop ;) (Indeed, if you smoke, you'll be better off buying cigs at the ferry.)

As for Bastøferga (Moss-Horten), it's quite impossible to predict whether or not there will be queues, but if you are travelling early in August, it's not unthinkable.

There is also another ferry, between Fredrikstad and Tønsberg, called Flybåten. It's not operational in winter, but will start up again in spring. See http://www.flybaten.no/ for more info, it will be updated with new time tables when they start operating again (the website is mostly in Norwegian, but rutetider = time table).

by evaanna

We travelled by that ferry a few times, always in August and it was half-empty, no need to book tickets. The other ferry was very expensive. Driving in Scandinavia is safe on the whole. Our "adventure" was an exception rather than a rule. The roads are empty in comparison with the rest of Europe, except near big cities. The only thing is that the roads are extremely winding, esp. in the mountains, so the distances are much longer than you might think looking at the map. So it's better not to book hotels or cabins on campsites but find places to stay as you go along. Read my page on Norway for more details.

by evaanna

One more thing - the second fortnight of August is better for camping as the children in Scandinavia go back to school on 15 August so there are fewer tourists. The cabins may be a little cheaper then. But we did travel in the first fortnight of August as well and it was fine, too.

by manuna

That ferry is even more convenient for us, as our initiary is Fredericstad - Tonsberg. But am I right that they do not carry cars?

Now it's clear why so many things will be closed after August 15th:(

by hexelein

Oh, I'm so sorry, Maria! I thought Flybaaten carried cars (we talked about it at work last week and someone mentioned it), but it seems it doesn't :/

Moss-Horten, then. You might have to wait, but you can go for a quick stroll along the pier, have a soft ice and relax - unless you are pressed for time, that is. By the way, Tønsberg is lovely in summer. If you have the time, you could pop out to Tjøme as well.

by evaanna

There are many campsites that are open all the year round or till mid-September. Sometimes you will find the phone number of the owner at the reception so you just phone them and they come to open a cabin for you. On some campsites they simply leave the keys in the doors and, if you arrive early, you can move in and pay later.

by manuna

I ment not campsites but different parks. Vikings Village etc. We are going with children and we usually plan our trip so that everyone might have fun. And we have to go one week earlier then I planned to manage to visit some places.

Comments