Gaustad Hotell

The Vigelandspark, OsloThe Vigelandspark, Oslo

The Vigelandspark, OsloThe Vigelandspark, Oslo

Oslo

Hi,

on saturday I will come on central bus station in Oslo, could you tell me which bus should I take if I want to get to Tjome Center? Shoul I take more than 1 bus to get there ?

by HansDK

Bus #8 Oslo-Tønsberg-Tjøme

You can find timetables here (in Norwegian only): http://www.timekspressen.no/getfile.php/www.timekspressen.no/Linje%208/TE%2008%20Tjme%20-%20Oslo%2001042010.pdf

Saturday = Lørdag

by molierka

Could you tell me also what are the average prices of food and drinks there, predominantly the area around Tjome and itself ?

by hexelein

Are you thinking of the prices of eating/drinking out, or of buying groceries and cooking for yourself?

Tjøme is bound to be on the more expensive side when it comes to dining/going out (as it is a popular island (archipelago really) for summer holidays with the rich and famous), but of course it depends on where you go. Generally speaking, it will be more expensive in the boating/sailing areas and cheaper (or 'less expensive', really) around the centre (Kirkebygda), where people live all year round. Depending on the length of your stay, you could also go to Tønsberg for a night out (more places to choose from), but it's hardly going to be worth it if you'll only be there for a few days.

I wish I could go to Tjøme now... it's the perfect place to spend the summer! Hope you have a lovely time :)

by molierka

Well, I also think about buying in groceries and cooking for myself.

Thank you for great information about drinking and eating outside :)

by hexelein

Tjøme centre has two grocery shops, Spar and Rimi. Rimi is going to be the cheaper of the two, but Spar will typically have a better selection, better fruit/veg and a deli.

Prices from a consumer test made last year (the more recent ones didn't have prices from Spar)

1 l milk Rimi 12,70 Spar 14,10
0,5 kg norvegia cheese Rimi 49,90 Spar 52,90
0,5 l pilsner beer Rimi 20,90 Spar 22,50
300 g chicken, filet Rimi 39,90 Spar 57,90
500 g bacon Rimi 106,95 Spar 119,50 (normally sold in packs of 200g though)
400 g minced meat Rimi 37,80 Spar 39,90
Cheapest kind of bread Rimi 5,90 Spar 5,90 (I would not recommend buying the cheapest bread, it's usually awful)
1 kg apples Rimi 24,47 Spar 24,90

Hi,

may I ask you, is it inevitable to register at police or employment bureau if I would like to work as brigade-worker only for a month in Norway ?

by hexelein

I don't know exactly what you need to do to get a work permit. I would suggest you talk to the embassy or consulate in your country.

Hey guys,

I really need a help. Do you know about ANY free accomodation in Tjome or Hvasser for 1 person since today ???? It is really urgent, please write me on nikusao@gmail.com .

Travel Tips for Oslo

oslo in a nutshell

by call_me_rhia

Oslo.... a strange city that has its charms - but in a not too flashy way. Let's start from the city centre - it's full of attractions, especially museums - but generally speaking it's a grey-looking and sad city... in terms of overall nice buildings there's very little to see.

Outside the city, in the Frogner, Holmenkollen or Bidgoy area there are fewer attractions (the best, in fact) but the city becomes a lot more pleasant and airy... smaller houses, often made of wood, and colourful.

Oslo might be the only city (that I know of) that looks better in the suburbs than in the city centre. it's very green, too - and screams to be walked about. My fondest memory of Oslo is the people - and by that I don't mean only Norwegian people. it's a very multiethnic city, especially (but not only) in the grunelokka area. I like the way the cultures seem to blend peacefully.

And I'll never forget a sight to behold... one night, in the city centre... a tall beautiful coloured woman wearing a khimar, jilbab and hiking boots. And she did nt look out of place.

Currency

by Marpessa

This was the first time I used a currency so different from my own (The GBP and Euro are similiar enough to the Australian dollar for me to relate easily to them). I actually thought the currency was nice, and now have enough '1 Krone' coins left to make myself a bracelet (don't know if I'm actually going to do that).

Get a bike, and follow the...

by haakonar

Get a bike, and follow the river (Akerselva) opstream! Take a break when you reach Grünerløkka and go to a café. You'll find great nature at the lake (Maridalsvannet). Then You can go to the nightclubs(i.e.Jazid), cafées(i.e.Fru Hagen) and jazzbars(i.e.Blå) on your way down again. The boattrips on the fjord and the islands!

Damstredet- a feast for traditionalsits

by Ekaterinburg

Damstedet is a tiny little street tucked away between Akersveien and Fredensborgveien and if you go to Var Frelsers Memoria Cemetery you will find it quite easily. This is the cemetery where Munch and Ibsen are buried and after toiling up from the centre in the pouring rain, I was more than a little disappointed to find the signposting totally inadequate and the more famous graves, virtually impossible to find. Maybe not impossible if you have loads of time and nice weather but when you've circumnavigated it once on a wet day, you tend to give up more easily.

Leaving despondently and then stumbling across Damstredet made the whole expedition worthwhile. This street of pretty wooden houses looks like it's been plucked from a rural village far removed from the city and it was here that I finally gave in and took out my camera. The photos, taken with one hand from underneath an umbrella, aren't great but they give a general impression of the colourful cottages and the sudden feeling of being in Norway as opposed to Oslo.

After this I was constantly on the look out for older and more traditional building and if you look carefully, you will find them on many of Oslo's streets, tucked in between the bland and the functional as rewards for diligent walkers.

Stortinget

by yooperprof

This is the National Parliament, a pleasant nineteenth century structure that strikes me for its modesty in scale and design. The Stortinget is open for regular tours, which I highly recommend for anyone who is interested in architecture or government!

Comments